Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How many ASD kids do you have? How many Neurotypical childre
Previous  1  2  3

How many ASD children do you have?
 66%  [ 32 ]
 22%  [ 11 ]
 4%  [ 2 ]
4+  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 48

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 11:32 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
One and one
But my NT child has sensory issues as well

Same!

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:55 am
Can I just say that while in childhood it's very hard to handle children with HFASD, as they grow up, it becomes more like having a neurotypical child many times. And there are so many incredible people with HFASD like Elon Musk for example.

amother
  Honey  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:10 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Not all studies are created equal. Some are falsified and resulted in loss of medical credentials.
None of the studies I'm talking about have been falsified nor their authors discredited. It's all very solid science.

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:33 am
amother Steel wrote:
Can I just say that while in childhood it's very hard to handle children with HFASD, as they grow up, it becomes more like having a neurotypical child many times. And there are so many incredible people with HFASD like Elon Musk for example.

No. They just become someone else's problem Wink
Kidding.

Kiwi13  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:21 am
amother Honey wrote:
None of the studies I'm talking about have been falsified nor their authors discredited. It's all very solid science.

And yet you’re claiming vaccines cause autism. 🙄

amother
  Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:31 am
ASD can come along with so many gifts too. Not dismissing the hardship. I don't think my child with ASD would trade it to be NT. Neither would DH who is also ND.

I might trade my ASD for a few days but I think I would end up missing it.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:39 am
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! It looks like sooo many of you have a child with ADHD! I didn't realize it's that common.
From what age is it noticeable? Can ADHD cause speech delay too? Because my 2 yr old is always on the go, cannot sit for a minute and gets so distracted. She also has some sensory issues, problems with following instructions and doesn't point. Also keeps to herself when around other kids. On the other hand, she will often come and show me things and point out things she sees on the road, just without pointing to it. She is social around adults but when around children she will just do her own thing and block out the other kids. She has some pretend play. Also good eye contact. Responds to her name by turning her head. This child doesn't have echolalia but she cannot build anything with any toys. She doesn't line up toys like my older one did. She walks on her toes sometimes.

My older HFASD child at her age was not responding to his name, no imaginary play, not following instructions, sensory issues, and echolalia. But he was always pointing to things and very verbal and social with adults. He was able to build structures with Lego, blocks and magnatiles.

I don't know what to think. At her checkup they were happy and they said yes there are a few delays but you don't have to jump to autism. They want to keep an eye on her. I'm so confused.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:19 am
I’m almost afraid to say this here, but two of my kids had diagnoses and both of them overcame them in different ways.

The WHO says that 5% of children have adhd, and 2.5% of adults. This makes no sense as adhd is claimed to be lifelong.
Obviously there are ways to overcome this. Definitely enough to be able to function well in society.

My child with an asd diagnosis actually had pans that showed up with asd symptoms. When we got rid of the pans (chasdei hashem), all the asd symptoms vanished.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:26 am
amother Cerise wrote:
I’m almost afraid to say this here, but two of my kids had diagnoses and both of them overcame them in different ways.

The WHO says that 5% of children have adhd, and 2.5% of adults. This makes no sense as adhd is claimed to be lifelong.
Obviously there are ways to overcome this. Definitely enough to be able to function well in society.

My child with an asd diagnosis actually had pans that showed up with asd symptoms. When we got rid of the pans (chasdei hashem), all the asd symptoms vanished.

1. Some children who meet diagnostic criteria and receive intervention will no longer meet diagnostic criteria as adults.

2. Many children have ASD/ADHD co-occurring with genetic disorders, and some of those disorders involve complex medical complications and impact life expectancy.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:02 am
amother Steel wrote:

WHEN will it be like having NT kids? When they're 30? 40? I have 2 kids with autism. JUST 2 kids. They're already 17 (twins) and their appointments, behaviors, medications, behaviors, school IEP/MFE/finding the right school, doctors, health issues, behaviors (did I mention behaviors yet)? have taken over my life so much that we stopped at 2 when I DEFINITELY wanted more kids. I have a master's degree I'll never use because I started my career in my 20's, got chronically ill, then the minute I was stable, we started dealing with infertility, then special needs kids so I've worked a bit over the years but never went back to my career which now I no longer want anyway. I just want to take a vacation, own a home, retire...... I won't be doing any of that.

Sorry. Just having a rough week. Month. Year. Did Elon Musk poop on the floor and walk through it on purpose as a child? Asking for a friend.

amother
  Pansy

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! It looks like sooo many of you have a child with ADHD! I didn't realize it's that common.
From what age is it noticeable? Can ADHD cause speech delay too? Because my 2 yr old is always on the go, cannot sit for a minute and gets so distracted. She also has some sensory issues, problems with following instructions and doesn't point. Also keeps to herself when around other kids. On the other hand, she will often come and show me things and point out things she sees on the road, just without pointing to it. She is social around adults but when around children she will just do her own thing and block out the other kids. She has some pretend play. Also good eye contact. Responds to her name by turning her head. This child doesn't have echolalia but she cannot build anything with any toys. She doesn't line up toys like my older one did. She walks on her toes sometimes.

My older HFASD child at her age was not responding to his name, no imaginary play, not following instructions, sensory issues, and echolalia. But he was always pointing to things and very verbal and social with adults. He was able to build structures with Lego, blocks and magnatiles.

I don't know what to think. At her checkup they were happy and they said yes there are a few delays but you don't have to jump to autism. They want to keep an eye on her. I'm so confused.

my 1.5 year old is exaaaactly like this! I cld have written ur post. both ur and mine wld probability qualify for asd dx. question is if it's truly asd...or a set of other disorders/delays.

amother
  Honey

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 1:50 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
And yet you’re claiming vaccines cause autism. 🙄
There isn't just a single cause but they can definitely increase the risk
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21058170/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....life.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 2:22 am
amother Cerise wrote:

A diagnosis is just a name for a lump of symptoms. Symptoms that can be there for a variety of things. Let's not even forget those who just get a diagnosis for therapy and medication and lie or cover up to claim their kid meets criteria.

melbee

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:28 am
1 HFASD
1 AuDHD
1 most likely ADHD but we haven't tested yet because it's not impacting grades or social life.
1 Neurotypical, so far as we know

With the older ADHD son, we knew pretty early on (like at 2) but didn't do anything re diagnosis or medication until it was impacting his daily life really negatively.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)