Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why is shopping for kids each season so expensive?
1  2  Next

meeze

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:14 pm
I don't understand. I still shop in cheaper stores but can't understand how we all spend . Do we all afford it? .
Can someone explain?

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:21 pm
TBH I wonder how people can afford it. BH I got a bunch of hand me downs this year and also bought a lot on sale end of season last year. It really adds up so quickly (and I do most of my shopping in regular stores like Target and H and M)

I guess it's a priority for some/ many and we all spend in different areas...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:23 pm
I can BH afford it but I was surprised on how much clothing for a baby costs each time they need a new size, and I don't shop expensive.

I used to filling in my wardrobe as needed, maybe 1-2 things a season. Sometimes more as needed.

So buying entire new wardrobes regularly for a growing child is something new to me.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:23 pm
Shop sales the season before or wait for sales. Don't buy so much. I always buy 2 shabbos outfits per child usually not paying full price

amother
Brass  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:26 pm
I dont buy a whole new wardrobe. Get hand me downs, thrift stores, shop sales, and buy only a few things.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:35 pm
its so expensive, I cant afford it. I bought all my babies clothing at baby gap and carters this season. If you sift through it they have really cute stuff.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:47 pm
We? You can't talk for everyone. You just answered your own question. It's herd mentality. Your blindly following what other are doing. And don't realize others are copying you too.

Just to give an example, at one point tottini became popular and many people in my neighborhood was trying to decide what to get. Some people bought from many places. Then a few poorer families bought their whole wardrobe in tottini and that didn't do well with the more well off people in the neighborhood especially because some of their clothing was the same as the poor family living next door. So family that anyway could afford other options. Went elsewhere. Then tottini was known in my neighborhood as a place for the poor. Then the poor tried not to shop their because they didn't want that name associated... and if you buy anything in target pull out the label.

Also notice I said this is what's going on in my neighborhood can't commit about the specifics of yours. But I'm sure some of my problems, and my neighborhood, are the same.

The second problem is just because "we" are all buying everything first day of the season doesn't mean it right for your family. It's OK if not everything is brand new.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:51 pm
I don’t find it so expensive as I shop at H&M, target, gap, etc.

Trademark  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:51 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
We? You can't talk for everyone. You just answered your own question. It's herd mentality. Your blindly following what other are doing. And don't realize others are copying you too.

Just to give an example, at one point tottini became popular and many people in my neighborhood was trying to decide what to get. Some people bought from many places. Then a few poorer families bought their whole wardrobe in tottini and that didn't do well with the more well off people in the neighborhood especially because some of their clothing was the same as the poor family living next door. So family that anyway could afford other options. Went elsewhere. Then tottini was known in my neighborhood as a place for the poor. Then the poor tried not to shop their because they didn't want that name associated... and if you buy anything in target pull out the label.

Also notice I said this is what's going on in my neighborhood can't commit about the specifics of yours. But I'm sure some of my problems, and my neighborhood, are the same.

The second problem is just because "we" are all buying everything first day of the season doesn't mean it right for your family. It's OK if not everything is brand new.

Huh? Where did you get all this from OP's post?

She was asking how families afford clothing for growing children.

Nowhere did she mention that she's following blindly what others are doing. Or that she is buying everything first day of the season. Or where she shops.

amother
  Brass  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 1:55 pm
amother Orange wrote:
I don’t find it so expensive as I shop at H&M, target, gap, etc.

I assumed she was talking about cheaper stores...
I still can't afford to buy all of my kids cheap new clothes every season. That woukd be at least $100/ kid / season.

Trademark

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 2:06 pm
amother Brass wrote:
I still can't afford to buy all of my kids cheap new clothes every season. That woukd be at least $100/ kid / season.

Exactly.

If someone doesn't have from where to take hand me downs, it adds up really quickly.

A few weekday outfits, at least one shabbos outfit, socks/hosiery, shoes, boots, coat, jacket, depending on the season, multiply that by the number of children you have. Even if you shop cheap, it's a lot.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 2:27 pm
I get you OP. I buy most of my kids wardrobes from end of year sales (love the Totinni $7 items).
I splurge on a couple of $20 outfits for my kids (one shabbos, one weekday but 5 kids we're talking $200).
Then shoes and socks and ponies and coats and bathing suits etc...
I do take hand me downs but no one really offers me
It's a lot of money.
BH I can afford it but I wish I could stick it into savings instead

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 2:41 pm
We get together with friends and swap outgrown kids' clothes, and use hand-me-downs within the family.

Then we only buy new things to fill in any gaps.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 2:47 pm
Omg this is an awful way to live.

quote="amother Mintgreen"]We? You can't talk for everyone. You just answered your own question. It's herd mentality. Your blindly following what other are doing. And don't realize others are copying you too.

The second problem is just because "we" are all buying everything first day of the season doesn't mean it right for your family. It's OK if not everything is brand new.[/quote]

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 3:09 pm
I always tried to get used or from gemachs. My kids also wear hand me downs. Who buys new for all the kids every season? We're not struggling financially, but it just doesn't make sense to buy everything new all the time.

amother
Ballota  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 3:17 pm
meeze wrote:
I don't understand. I still shop in cheaper stores but can't understand how we all spend . Do we all afford it? .
Can someone explain?

I left some sets from last season to see if they still fit.
Otherwise I shopped h&m zara and next. Really cute stuff and I afford more expensive but what for? I have friends who buy expensive and then police their kids about every stain. I‘d rather buy cheaper but still cure and throw away when they are ruined

amother
  Ballota  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 3:22 pm
amother Brass wrote:

More
One outfit is in 20-30 range. Then you have socks and tights and underwear.

amother
  Brass

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 3:23 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
More
One outfit is in 20-30 range. Then you have socks and tights and underwear.

I said at least. My kids are little (oldest 7) so it tends to cost more like $15 an outfit.

renslet

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 3:24 pm
I'm a little confused, are we talking 0-5 or older. Cuz unless your kids have major growth spurts each season, why don't their clothing fit after 6 months?
I find that with older kids, I buy when they need, I also try to buy some long pants and shorts so they work for both seasons.
My kids wear uniforms most of the time, shabbos pants and shirts last a year at least, sometimes I take down the hem.
Tshirts I buy when tottini has under $5, once a year or 18 months.
What am I missing
Shoes, socks, underwear how often do you buy new

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 5:19 pm
Winter is so much easier for me because the big girls have uniforms. My boys don’t care what they wear and I buy whatever’s on sale from target. My baby’s clothes are all from Ali.

Summer on the other hand is so so hard.

And shabbos and yom tov. At least there’s extra time this year. My girls grew out of the Ali stuff and the local stores are so expensive.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics