Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why is shopping for kids each season so expensive?
Previous  1  2

amother
Honey  

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 5:22 pm
I have a three year old and six year old and I don’t shop for them. We get hammy downs, I feel so lucky that I have this option

calvinhobbs

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 8:14 pm
I don’t have hand me downs as no family and friends have my age and stage and gender. I do tho have one neighbor that puts her bags of used and torn clothes on my door and it makes me feel uch.
For the winter I buy 4-6 tops (always last seasons sale) that I know they will wear for ten months straight and bottoms straight from children’s place, target, whatnot. For the summer I buy 4-5 tops and this season ended ip buying the pants in a Jewish store when they had their sale.
I always buy close outs at 50% off or more and bonus for me, I’m always well stocked in advance.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 8:18 pm
As others said, I shop sales for school days, some shabbos, and pretty much anything that doesn’t need to match or be up to date.
I pay full price for either matching or up to date for teens.
I can easily afford paying full price for everything but prefer that my money be better spent than on kids that paint all over themselves and outgrow things in 6 months (bh!).

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 8:23 pm
But even Children's place, or Target on sale can easily be $10 to each pair of pants. And I usually have to spend the similar on shirts because they just can't wear the cheaper graphic ones. Plus socks (which always disappear), and shoes, and coats and boots... And they need something slightly nicer Shabbos, and it's a 3-day Yom Tov. And my kids grow and they get dirty. And I'm not rich enough to have laundry facilities I can use everyday.

If you don't get hand-me-downs it could easily be hundreds of dollars a season per kid just for basics from cheap places. Times several kids at the most expensive time of the year (Pesach or fall).

Yes, overspending on fancy Branch is definitely a thing. But it's not everyone who's struggling.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 8:37 pm
For me the the hassle is a lot harder than the expense.
I can't seem to get my act together in a timely manner and make sure everyone had what they need when they need it.
It's too much.
And I don't have a lot of kids.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 8:51 pm
Tottini and kidichic have THE best sales at the end of the season I shop a lot then for next year (sometimes it’s still good for the end of this season).

Hand me downs from cousins friends siblings etc.

Realistically you only need 2-4 new pieces per season (dependent on your family etc) and that I usually get at Zara, H&M, kidichic or tottini.

Then again I could care less what people think. If it fits they wear it. The end.

amother
  Honey

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 8:57 pm
calvinhobbs wrote:
I don’t have hand me downs as no family and friends have my age and stage and gender. I do tho have one neighbor that puts her bags of used and torn clothes on my door and it makes me feel uch.
For the winter I buy 4-6 tops (always last seasons sale) that I know they will wear for ten months straight and bottoms straight from children’s place, target, whatnot. For the summer I buy 4-5 tops and this season ended ip buying the pants in a Jewish store when they had their sale.
I always buy close outs at 50% off or more and bonus for me, I’m always well stocked in advance.

I get from people in the community or buy nothing groups

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 27 2024, 10:31 pm
amother Orange wrote:
I don’t find it so expensive as I shop at H&M, target, gap, etc.

Honestly, I dont find them to be much cheaper than kidichic/tottini. How do you all shop on sale I have no idea what my kids' size will be next season? Toddler & 4 month old

emee2

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:12 am
renslet wrote:
I'm a little confused, are we talking 0-5 or older. Cuz unless your kids have major growth spurts each season, why don't their clothing fit after 6 months?
I find that with older kids, I buy when they need, I also try to buy some long pants and shorts so they work for both seasons.
My kids wear uniforms most of the time, shabbos pants and shirts last a year at least, sometimes I take down the hem.
Tshirts I buy when tottini has under $5, once a year or 18 months.
What am I missing
Shoes, socks, underwear how often do you buy new

My kids are 5 and 8 and they need new clothes every 6 months because the seasons change. Pesach time I’m buying for summer and succos I’m buying for winter. With my boys they get holes in the knees and need new pants. For yontif I always buy new so they have something crisp and fresh but I don’t need to I just like to. Shoes I have to buy for back to school and then summer sneakers. Socks go quickly but underwear usually lasts for us.

amother
  Ballota

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:04 am
amother Khaki wrote:
But even Children's place, or Target on sale can easily be $10 to each pair of pants. And I usually have to spend the similar on shirts because they just can't wear the cheaper graphic ones. Plus socks (which always disappear), and shoes, and coats and boots... And they need something slightly nicer Shabbos, and it's a 3-day Yom Tov. And my kids grow and they get dirty. And I'm not rich enough to have laundry facilities I can use everyday.

If you don't get hand-me-downs it could easily be hundreds of dollars a season per kid just for basics from cheap places. Times several kids at the most expensive time of the year (Pesach or fall).

Yes, overspending on fancy Branch is definitely a thing. But it's not everyone who's struggling.

Yes it’s my pet peeve that plain clean looking shirts are more expensive than the ones with silly words or images that I don’t want to buy

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 4:09 am
It boggles my mind how we do this- I get hand me downs for my boys but my daughter doesn't have anyone to get hand me downs from and it is so expensive-just for one kid!
I do last year sales, ali, and target and will sometimes find her size in tottini sales (yes the 8-11 dollar dresses are great but they often don't have her size), but she's in preschool and needs 6 weekday outfits (some might say 4, but I find that this is what I need for laundry and keeping clothing decent thatis worn for months and months straight) and 2 shabbos.
If I get 6 dresses for what averages at 20 dollars=$120+ 2 shabbos at 30/each+ socks and tights and shoes and water shoes in the summer...its and and and and
and I'm still doing socks and shoes for the boys...
Once they're in school they need less outfits but uniforms are also expensive!
and for a large family, you can get some hand me downs, but its likely that you'll need to buy some new!

camp123

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 4:51 am
My kids 5-10 can easily wear the same things two summers in a row. Maybe they grow slower than other kids? The same gender gets passed one to the other. Tights and tzizis cost a fortune bc they always need to be replaced
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics