Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How many snack bags do your kids take to school?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:18 am
My upper elementary kids claim kids bring 4-5 on a daily basis.

I started out letting them take 2, plus another healthier option but now we're up to 3 for a while already.

No, they don't want to take fruits or vegetables or rice cakes or crackers or granola bars or home made baked goods. They want to take 5 snack bags.

Busy large family lakewood circles if it makes any difference.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:27 am
amother OP wrote:
My upper elementary kids claim kids bring 4-5 on a daily basis.

I started out letting them take 2, plus another healthier option but now we're up to 3 for a while already.

No, they don't want to take fruits or vegetables or rice cakes or crackers or granola bars or home made baked goods. They want to take 5 snack bags.

Busy large family lakewood circles if it makes any difference.

following. Im in the same boat. My bigger issue is trip days, the amount of snacks and nosh they want....

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:30 am
amother Azure wrote:
following. Im in the same boat. My bigger issue is trip days, the amount of snacks and nosh they want....
That was the last thread I started lol. About amounts of nosh on an end of school year trip. And last year I started one about amounts of nosh on day camp trips...

The problem is what imamothers report on here does not seem to match what my children are reporting.

I'm lol'ing but it's really not funny.

amother
Lotus  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:33 am
okay, on that last thread I said that my son says that kids in his class bring a shopping bag of snack each day. I think it's really crazy. And I think whichever mother lets her kids take so much snack really needs help.
I do let him take 5 snacks, even if I think it's totally crazy and not in sync with what I believe.
I do it because he needs it.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:36 am
amother Lotus wrote:
okay, on that last thread I said that my son says that kids in his class bring a shopping bag of snack each day. I think it's really crazy. And I think whichever mother lets her kids take so much snack really needs help.
I do let him take 5 snacks, even if I think it's totally crazy and not in sync with what I believe.

That's probably one child LOL LOL
I don't see any kids leaving home with shopping bags of snacks!

amother
Teal

Mostly 2 but if they say the bus ride is long and they get hungry or they end up skipping lunch they didn’t like and need more certain days then 3 or 4. But typically it’s 2 one for morning recess and one for afternoon recess. Lakewood for reference

ShishKabob

amother OP wrote:
That was the last thread I started lol. About amounts of nosh on an end of school year trip. And last year I started one about amounts of nosh on day camp trips...

The problem is what imamothers report on here does not seem to match what my children are reporting.

I'm lol'ing but it's really not funny.
Maybe the mothers are reporting what they would like to do as a pose to what's actually happening. (and some children take more snack on their own maybe)

mom!

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:37 am
Following! I’m not even such a healthy mom but this is way out of hand.

The one rule I did institute is no snack unless you ate a reasonable breakfast. (Yogurt, bowl of cereal, rice cakes with cheese or some protein etc)

amother
Tangerine  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:40 am
My kids also take 4-5 snacks...mostly snack bags will take baked goods if they love what I have. I used to fight it but gave up. I don't want them to be hungry during the day. When I sent fruits and veggies and they didn't get eaten it was just a waste. I try to buy some "healthier" snack bags like pretzels popcorn pita chips and so they have to take some of those as well so they aren't eating 5 bags of bisli a day...I limit that to one. Once they come home there is no more snacking...I always have fruits and veggies cup up on the table. So that's the balance that works for me. Snacks at school healthy options at home.

amother
  Lotus  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:40 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
That's probably one child LOL LOL
I don't see any kids leaving home with shopping bags of snacks!
You don't see it all obviously.
I don't live in Lakewood and my kid says the same thing as the op's kid.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:43 am
None. I bake lots of cookies/muffins and keep in the freezer. Cut up fruit and homemade popcorn. They are always complaining that it's not fair 🙄

amother
Dodgerblue  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:54 am
On a regular day, 2. On trip day, more. On half a day, 1.

My oldest is 10

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:55 am
amother Lotus wrote:
Needs it in what way?

amother
  Lotus  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Needs it in what way?
He claims he is always hungry but I really think it's peer pressure. He needs to feel part of it.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:59 am
Op just want to say I’m with u. I roll from all the mothers on here reporting that they send only cut up veggies granola bars and popcorn. As if. I work in many schools. I do not see that. I see loads of ketchup chips and bissli danishes and onion rings.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:03 am
2 plus a fruit and 2 water bottles

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:04 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
My kids also take 4-5 snacks...mostly snack bags will take baked goods if they love what I have. I used to fight it but gave up. I don't want them to be hungry during the day. When I sent fruits and veggies and they didn't get eaten it was just a waste. I try to buy some "healthier" snack bags like pretzels popcorn pita chips and so they have to take some of those as well so they aren't eating 5 bags of bisli a day...I limit that to one. Once they come home there is no more snacking...I always have fruits and veggies cup up on the table. So that's the balance that works for me. Snacks at school healthy options at home.
I would feel terrible for my kids to be hungry during the day too, but we all know snack bags are not a solution to hunger.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:05 am
amother Lotus wrote:
He claims he is always hungry but I really think it's peer pressure. He needs to feel part of it.
And 3 is not enough to feel part of it?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:06 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Op just want to say I’m with u. I roll from all the mothers on here reporting that they send only cut up veggies granola bars and popcorn. As if. I work in many schools. I do not see that. I see loads of ketchup chips and bissli danishes and onion rings.
My kids claim NOBODY brings fruits or vegetables or anything remotely healthy.

isrmss91

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:06 am
Wow, that is out of hand. And with the price of snack bags, these days. 70 cents for 5 chips in a bag?? Even if on sale, the kids won't bring 3 of the same bag.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics