Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How many snack bags do your kids take to school?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
  Lotus  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:06 am
amother OP wrote:
And 3 is not enough to feel part of it?
I guess not. Confused

amother
Puce  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:08 am
I send 5 snack bags a day per kid (I have 5 kids in school!) I encourage very strongly the popcorn, pita chips, pretzels, granola bars etc but I do not insist. I do insist that everyone eat breakfast before they leave. They are out of the house for many hours and there is generally no one to ensure the kids eat a real lunch. I feel they need more than just 2 snacks between 8-4/4:30.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:08 am
amother Lotus wrote:
okay, on that last thread I said that my son says that kids in his class bring a shopping bag of snack each day. I think it's really crazy. And I think whichever mother lets her kids take so much snack really needs help.
I do let him take 5 snacks, even if I think it's totally crazy and not in sync with what I believe.
I do it because he needs it.

lol so ds like to take his snack in black shopping bags, so I bought them in bulk on Amazon. He takes two snacks each day plus baked goods, either homemade or leftover from shabbos.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:10 am
Bags?? One snack per break is enough

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:12 am
2-3 per kid and the rest are other stuff like healthy bars, rice cake, baked goods…. 5 snacks per day is a lot imo. Let her take other stuff instead. It’s not healthy nor cheap

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:13 am
Haven’t had to pack lunches in over 10 yrs so I don’t know if this counts

When my kids were in school they had to pack their own lunch
It consisted of
Sandwich/ or leftovers/ stuffed pepper/ salad with protein/ homemade sushi rolls/etc.
Fruit and/or Cut up veggies/baby carrots/ cherry tomatoes
2 snack bags
And a GALLON size bag of homemade popcorn - seasoned as they chose - they got very creative

Sometimes they didn’t even touch the snack bags

The snack bags are not filling.
You need at least 5 to feel like you ate something

Homemade popcorn- delicious and cost pennies
I’m not talking about the microwave bags

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:15 am
I have kids ranging from adult to younger elementary school.

My deal is 2 healthy snacks (usually a fruit or vegetable in a pinch pretzels , crackers, etc) and 1-2 not healthy snacks (chips, cookies, etc). I have a few kids that their mouth tingle with many fresh fruits and veggies, so I give them them healthier snacks instead.

We only buy snack bags when we do road trips or the kids have a really big trip from school/camp. The leftovers, my kids are welcome to take.

We buy big bags of pretzels, packages of cookies, etc. and the kids get in a sandwich bag.

To be honest, my kids often don't even finish their snacks. They come home from school and have a snack then.

kermit

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:20 am
one snack bag, one "pastry" OR pretzels, one cereal bar, and one fruit

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:20 am
amother Puce wrote:
I send 5 snack bags a day per kid (I have 5 kids in school!) I encourage very strongly the popcorn, pita chips, pretzels, granola bars etc but I do not insist. I do insist that everyone eat breakfast before they leave. They are out of the house for many hours and there is generally no one to ensure the kids eat a real lunch. I feel they need more than just 2 snacks between 8-4/4:30.
I agree they need more food than that, it's a long day and they're out many hours. I just don't understand why snack bags are considered the only acceptable thing to take.

amother
  Puce  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I agree they need more food than that, it's a long day and they're out many hours. I just don't understand why snack bags are considered the only acceptable thing to take.

I can't fight the system and I really want my kids to have energy to sit and learn. If this is the accepted thing then I will allow it. I already have so many other things I say no to. I understand the mothers who don't allow it but sending in things that the kids are not comfortable with just backfires and the kids don't eat it or resent it and then can't sit and learn as well. This is my opinion.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:31 am
amother Puce wrote:
I can't fight the system and I really want my kids to have energy to sit and learn. If this is the accepted thing then I will allow it. I already have so many other things I say no to. I understand the mothers who don't allow it but sending in things that the kids are not comfortable with just backfires and the kids don't eat it or resent it and then can't sit and learn as well. This is my opinion.
I understand

top mom

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:44 am
I'm TOTALLY with you!
My daughter claims that her friends get 20$ per trip for nosh shopping. And in day camp those happen at least twice a week!
How in the world can they possibly eat that amount of sugar, salt and food coloring in a day? 🤔
Every little trip to a park needs a mega nosh shopping spree Can't Believe It
I give her less per trip, but I still think it's ridiculous, and she still feels like she has too little
Whatever What

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:46 am
top mom wrote:
I'm TOTALLY with you!
My daughter claims that her friends get 20$ per trip for nosh shopping. And in day camp those happen at least twice a week!
How in the world can they possibly eat that amount of sugar, salt and food coloring in a day? 🤔
Every little trip to a park needs a mega nosh shopping spree Can't Believe It
I give her less per trip, but I still think it's ridiculous, and she still feels like she has too little
Whatever What
Lol. My thread from exactly a year ago, minus 2 days https://www.imamother.com/foru.....17738

This one was about school because I assumed it was going to be a little more reasonable

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:51 am
I live in Passaic, I pack homemade lunches which they generally eat cuz it’s foods they chose. Dc10 isn’t a big snacker in general and rarely eats between meals, takes 1-2 and a lot of times doesn’t eat them
Dc7 takes 5 snacks and complains of hungry. More of a snacker, not great about eating meals, if I send a sandwich 2/3 will be considered “crust” and get thrown out. Winter time I pack filling soups in thermoses and somehow that goes over better..

amother
  Tangerine  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:54 am
amother OP wrote:
I would feel terrible for my kids to be hungry during the day too, but we all know snack bags are not a solution to hunger.

But the kids think it is. And I'm not going to be the mother that makes her kids starve all day. They eat their fruits and veggies at home. And sometimes bring along a healthier lunch.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:55 am
2-3 snacks. Kids get breakfast and lunch at school. My son who has a longer day takes 3 and sometimes a sandwich.

amother
  Lotus

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:57 am
Adding: They give out snacks from the school where I live as well, from the federal government.
So this is in addition to the 5 snacks.
Makes no sense.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:57 am
amother Lotus wrote:
Adding: They give out snacks from the school where I live as well, from the federal government.
So this is in addition to the 5 snacks.
Makes no sense.
Yes, here too.

keym

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:59 am
My kids who stay until 4 get 2 snack bags, plus apple squeezes. If they need more, they get homemade baked goods, pretzels, or popcorn. I compromise by buying pretzel and popcorn snack bags rather than baggies from big bags
Kids who stay past 4 get an affair snack.

But honestly they're likely trading their homemade (not particularly healthy) cookies or muffins for chips.
I can't control it.

I emphasize fruits, veggies, and proteins at home.

behappy2

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:00 pm
I send usually 2-3 snack bags or 4 rugelach or the equivalent. I thought I was sending too much!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics