Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Rochel school in Monsey starting late this year
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:24 am
So Beth Rachel School in Monsey is starting a full week later than all other schools this year. Since we the parents were not given any explanation from the school on why they are starting so late, I was wondering if any other school is also starting late this year, or if anyone has any idea why a school would do something like that.

Would love to know for what purpose the parents are blessed to have the girls home for yet another full week without any structure or neighbors to play with (they are all starting on time), and what educational value kids gain from being home another week after this long and endless summer (בטלה מביאה לידי שעמום, ושעמום מביא לידי חטא).

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:30 am
Would this be the reason?

https://www.boropark24.com/new.....-hits

amother
Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:35 am
amother OP wrote:
So Beth Rachel School in Monsey is starting a full week later than all other schools this year. Since we the parents were not given any explanation from the school on why they are starting so late, I was wondering if any other school is also starting late this year, or if anyone has any idea why a school would do something like that.

Would love to know for what purpose the parents are punished to have the girls home for yet another full week without any structure or neighbors to play with (they are all starting on time), and what educational value kids gain from being home another week after this long and endless summer (בטלה מביאה לידי שעמום, ושעמום מביא לידי חטא).

If you have concerns with the school, bring it up with them. Call them up instead of starting a public thread against them.

And when are they starting? Aren't they starting on Monday or Tuesday? (Which is not a week later then other chassidish schools.)
(I also never heard anyone referring to Bais Rochel as Beth Rachel, especially not a parent of the school....)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:36 am
amother OP wrote:

Would love to know for what purpose the parents are punished to have the girls home for yet another full week without any structure or neighbors to play with (they are all starting on time), and what educational value kids gain from being home another week after this long and endless summer (בטלה מביאה לידי שעמום, ושעמום מביא לידי חטא).

Are you serious that it's a "punishment" to have your precious treasures home with you? It can be challenging, yes, but it's not a punishment. Take advantage of the time to do activities with the kids, trips, cook and shop for yom tov together...
I think the reason some schools are starting late is because we still have a full month until yom tov. Also, if you noticed, we haven't had snow days in a few years, so I think they can afford to give fewer school days.
I heard that Klausenberg of Boro Park is starting late due to renovations.

amother
Cherry  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:43 am
That is so frustrating! Kids need structure, these weeks of free time end up being too much. Especially if the parents are working, it’s just nuts.

Are you referring to Bais rochel, the somewhat chasidish school, or is there another school in monsey called Beth Rochel? Very not their parent body’s type to refer to it as Beth! Maybe it was autocorrect that changed it.

I know of a school in Lakewood that’s also only opening next week.

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:47 am
amother Cherry wrote:
That is so frustrating! Kids need structure, these weeks of free time end up being too much. Especially if the parents are working, it’s just nuts.

Are you referring to Bais rochel, the somewhat chasidish school, or is there another school in monsey called Beth Rochel? Very not their parent body’s type to refer to it as Beth! Maybe it was autocorrect that changed it.

I know of a school in Lakewood that’s also only opening next week.

Bais Rochel is a regular chassidish school by now & they're not starting a week after most other chassidish schools. (Afaik)

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:49 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
If you have concerns with the school, bring it up with them. Call them up instead of starting a public thread against them.

And when are they starting? Aren't they starting on Monday or Tuesday? (Which is not a week later then other chassidish schools.)
(I also never heard anyone referring to Bais Rochel as Beth Rachel, especially not a parent or the school....)

I wrote very respectfully and did not start a thread "against" them.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:49 am
Having kids home is a punishment? There are people who want to have that

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:51 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Are you serious that it's a "punishment" to have your precious treasures home with you? It can be challenging, yes, but it's not a punishment. Take advantage of the time to do activities with the kids, trips, cook and shop for yom tov together...
I think the reason some schools are starting late is because we still have a full month until yom tov. Also, if you noticed, we haven't had snow days in a few years, so I think they can afford to give fewer school days.
I heard that Klausenberg of Boro Park is starting late due to renovations.

It is by no means a punishment to spend time with my kids. It is however very hard to have a bunch of bored kids at home for a very extended period of time.
How does Yom tov come into this mixture?

amother
  Cherry

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:51 am
amother Kiwi wrote:

Oh come on. Stop with the mom guilting here. We pay through the roof for tuition for a reason. Kids do better when there’s structure and as the quote OP included in her first post says, boredom doesn’t tend to lead to good things.

It’s very hard to have kids home for this long. If both parents are working, it’s borderline impossible.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:52 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Bais Rochel is a regular chassidish school by now & they're not starting a week after most other chassidish schools. (Afaik)

All the years they started right after labor day and this is the first year that they are pushing it off a full week.
And BTW, there are still MANY parents that are not Chasidish at all.

amother
PlumPink  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:53 am
Heard satmar in lakewood has no opening date cause of financial issues. Can that be a reason why they are opening late?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:56 am
amother Kiwi wrote:

That is called taking something out of context.
We all love our children and love to spend time with that. That does not mean that we want them home for weeks without any structure.

amother
DarkGray  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:56 am
amother Kiwi wrote:

Please stop ganging up on OP. I doubt she meant it literally. She is likely in a very frustrated, as many of us are with this delay, and used the wrong choice of a word.

It's after a long summer, and even the kids are maxed out from ad hoc activities that we come up with to fill the time. They are not interested in another trip to the park or shopping, or baking or bike riding or another arts and crafts project. They are craving structure, mom is craving for a spare quiet moment, and the result is not pretty.

Additionally the school raised tuition substantially. On top of that, they have cut off a week of the month. Why? At the very least, give us a discount for September.

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:59 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
Please stop ganging up on OP. I doubt she meant it literally. She is likely in a very frustrated, as many of us are with this delay, and used the wrong choice of a word.

It's after a long summer, and even the kids are maxed out from ad hoc activities that we come up with to fill the time. They are not interested in another trip to the park or shopping, or baking or bike riding or another arts and crafts project. They are craving structure, mom is craving for a spare quiet moment, and the result is not pretty.

Additionally the school raised tuition substantially. On top of that, they have cut off a week of the month. Why? At the very least, give us a discount for September.

Again, afaik, they are not starting a week later then other chassidish schools.

amother
  DarkGray  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 8:59 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:

In Monsey ?? Not true afaik.

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:01 am
amother OP wrote:
all the years they started right after labor day and this is the first year that they are pushing it off a full week.
And BTW, there are still MANY parents that are not Chasidish at all.

Most chassidish schools generally start a day after labor day, but this year the dates were moved because of when yomim tovim come out. They're not starting a week after other schools. Chassidish schools generally go on the same scheduling.

amother
  DarkGray  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:02 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
AFAIK.

Also to consider is that if they want to follow chassidish schools, they should do it all the way, and not cherry pick when it works for them.

Chassidish schools give off much fewer days (for elementary) throughout the year. So can we expect them to do the same this year? Or is it only when it works in their favor?

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:02 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
In Monsey ?? Not true afaik.

What's not true?
Bais Rochel is not starting a week after other chassidish schools.

amother
  DarkGray  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:03 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:

On another note, tuition for chassidish schools is generally cheaper. Are they going to align with that as well?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics