Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Rochel school in Monsey starting late this year
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  Alyssum  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:06 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
I think you misunderstood. They can teach Chumash and parsha instead.

I agree!! I didn’t misunderstand. They just gave a nice excuse! Punch Punch

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:07 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
I think you misunderstood. They can teach Chumash and parsha instead.

I was told the teachers need a week after Bain hazmanim. I guesss they are just giving random excuses.

It’s the same as the playgroups as long as they can get away with it, which they can, and they will

amother
  Alyssum

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
I was told the teachers need a week after Bain hazmanim. I guesss they are just giving random excuses.

It’s the same as the playgroups as long as they can get away with it, which they can, and they will

The bottom line is that they can do as they please and get their money either way…

amother
  Seagreen  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:16 pm
amother Emerald wrote:

Nope. There's a new similar school in the planning stages and they will have competition very soon bh

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:19 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Are you serious that it's a "punishment" to have your precious treasures home with you? It can be challenging, yes, but it's not a punishment. Take advantage of the time to do activities with the kids, trips, cook and shop for yom tov together...
I think the reason some schools are starting late is because we still have a full month until yom tov. Also, if you noticed, we haven't had snow days in a few years, so I think they can afford to give fewer school days.
I heard that Klausenberg of Boro Park is starting late due to renovations.

Do you work?
It doesn't sound like it

It's very hard to work with this situation hard to explain it to someone not in that position and many many women need to work to help out with finances

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Even public school starts on Wednesday after labor day. I have not yet heard one single good explanation on why Jewish kids should start even one second after them.

If jewish schools would be on public school schedule, you'd surely have a fit. Public school has so much off & they end the year earlier than jewish schools. Their school days are also shorter than in jewish schools.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:45 pm
When I worked as playgroup teacher, my partner said we go with same schedule as school, and payment by the month like schools. I felt horrible charging a full month yomim tovim but she told me that's what everyone does...

This year we are probably opening after yomim tovim. At least parents won't pay these two months in vain.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
I live in Baltimore and the schools usually open the tuesday after labor day. 2 schools didn't open until today (thursday) this year, with one of the schools not starting preschool until next monday. I'm not sure why they did it, but they did.

Another Baltimore mom here, BY started the day after Labor Day. Bnos started today.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
If jewish schools would be on public school schedule, you'd surely have a fit. Public school has so much off & they end the year earlier than jewish schools. Their school days are also shorter than in jewish schools.

My point was that we as Jews should definitely not start school later than the public school. We should have a better understanding that bored kids that roam around without structure is not a good idea from a Jewish and even educational standpoint.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:08 pm
Bais Rochel is starting Tuesday - the other chasidishe girls school started Thursday - and many don’t have school Friday - so two extra days …not the biggest deal …

amother
Firebrick  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
So Beth Rachel School in Monsey is starting a full week later than all other schools this year. Since we the parents were not given any explanation from the school on why they are starting so late, I was wondering if any other school is also starting late this year, or if anyone has any idea why a school would do something like that.

Would love to know for what purpose the parents are blessed to have the girls home for yet another full week without any structure or neighbors to play with (they are all starting on time), and what educational value kids gain from being home another week after this long and endless summer (בטלה מביאה לידי שעמום, ושעמום מביא לידי חטא).

Bais Shifra Miriam high school is starting September 17. Not even definite yet. Ever heard the expression "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet?" Would be a dream if they'd start next week...

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:13 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Bais Rochel is starting Tuesday - the other chasidishe girls school started Thursday - and many don’t have school Friday - so two extra days …not the biggest deal …

Not all schools started today. Some are starting Monday & Tuesday. And the schools that did start today, was only pre school & elementary, not high school. High schools are starting Monday/Tuesday.

amother
Brickred  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:15 pm
BSM is starting Tuesday, Sanz is starting Monday, Bais Rochel is starting Wednesday, yeah, it is the latest of the dates.

amother
  Firebrick  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:16 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
BSM is starting Tuesday, Sanz is starting Monday, Bais Rochel is starting Wednesday, yeah, it is the latest of the dates.

Only elementary. High school at least a week later, possibly more.

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:17 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
Bais Shifra Miriam high school is starting September 17. Not even definite yet. Ever heard the expression "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet?" Would be a dream if they'd start next week...

Klausenberg high school is starting maybe the 16th, they're not even sure yet.
Toras imechu is starting the 12th.

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:18 pm
amother Brickred wrote:

Bais Rochal is starting Tuesday, bobov is starting Monday, pupa is starting Tuesday, mesoras Miriam is starting Monday or Tuesday.
All (or most) high schools are starting Monday or Tuesday.

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
My point was that we as Jews should definitely not start school later than the public school. We should have a better understanding that bored kids that roam around without structure is not a good idea from a Jewish and even educational standpoint.

This is the parents responsibility, not the schools.
Public school may sometimes start before jewish schools, but they end way before. And our school days are much longer than Public school days. So don't use public school as a comparison.

amother
  PlumPink

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:21 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Bais Rochal is starting Tuesday, bobov is starting Monday, pupa is starting Tuesday, mesoras Miriam is starting Monday or Tuesday.
All (or most) high schools are starting Monday or Tuesday.

Mesoras miriam is starting tuesday. So bais rochel is not later than a lot of schools.

amother
  Firebrick  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

I fully agree. The schools simply don't care. And our hands are tied. We are expected to be grateful we actually have a school to send to and they can literally do whatever they want.

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:28 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
I fully agree. The schools simply don't care. And our hands are tied. We are expected to be grateful we actually have a school to send to and they can literally do whatever they want.

The school calendar is done with a cheshbon, not from 1 minute to the next. The calendar for the next year is done almost a year before.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics