Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How many snack bags do your kids take to school?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:05 pm
Yup same here. My younger elementary kids take 5 snacks daily. Usually bring 1 or 2 home but need 5 in case lunch is bad or they're hungry or to share in case another kid forgets snacks. (Which is a lot of money for me but good chinuch to look out for others..)
Good news my upper elementary/ middle school kids say as they get older healthier options are more acceptable..so they're happy with cut fruit/ veggies/ granola.but only cut/ packaged the socially acceptable way.. peer pressure is the same or worse

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:32 pm
I've seen those shopping bags of nosh while at my child's bus stop so I know they are telling me the truth. I've even seen them getting empty before their breakfast, especially the younger kids. But I'm the strict mom who allows one snack and a bag of cookies. I usually bake a variety of cakes and cookies for them to take along. Now when they are swimming afternoons just before school day end I allow them a little more cake. At home I encourage eating fruits although that one child only eats them

gdgirl

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:34 pm
agree.. they take way too many snacks and refuse fruits/veggies or anything healthy as they get older

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:36 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
I've seen those shopping bags of nosh while at my child's bus stop so I know they are telling me the truth. I've even seen them getting empty before their breakfast, especially the younger kids. But I'm the strict mom who allows one snack and a bag of cookies. I usually bake a variety of cakes and cookies for them to take along. Now when they are swimming afternoons just before school day end I allow them a little more cake. At home I encourage eating fruits although that one child only eats them
You just reminded me of the kids who get milk chocolate for breakfast to eat in carpool. Or bags of fruity pebbles. I see that with my own eyes so I know it's true.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:37 pm

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:01 pm
School is 8am - 4 pm. Extra chug till 5pm (50% of class stay)
Breakfast (cereal and milk) 7am
Morning snack - cut up veg

Pm snack- crackers or rice cakes
After school snack - same plus fruit.

Roch chosesh they are allowed a treat for 1 snack eg popcorn, pretzels, Choc rice cakes

If parents send in inappropriate snacks on a regular day, the teacher phones or messages the parent and reminds them of the school rules.

Birthdays they give out cake/biscuits etc and if the kid wins a weekly certificate then they get to go to have half a cup of juice (apple/orange) as a reward with the other kids who have won at recess.

London based.

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
You just reminded me of the kids who get milk chocolate for breakfast to eat in carpool. Or bags of fruity pebbles. I see that with my own eyes so I know it's true.

Yup that’s my kids. It’s that or they starve. But they only take one snack bag they will take fruits and other snacks so maybe that’s a win.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:08 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
School is 8am - 4 pm. Extra chug till 5pm (50% of class stay)
Breakfast (cereal and milk) 7am
Morning snack - cut up veg

Pm snack- crackers or rice cakes
After school snack - same plus fruit.

Roch chosesh they are allowed a treat for 1 snack eg popcorn, pretzels, Choc rice cakes

If parents send in inappropriate snacks on a regular day, the teacher phones or messages the parent and reminds them of the school rules.

Birthdays they give out cake/biscuits etc and if the kid wins a weekly certificate then they get to go to have half a cup of juice (apple/orange) as a reward with the other kids who have won at recess.

London based.
Wow

amother
  Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:14 pm
I think everyone should do what works for them. I send 4-5 snack bags and my kids eat healthy at home. You aren't a better mother if you send one snack bag and your kids are the ones begging the whole recess. My kids don't necessarily eat all their snacks but they know they have enough if they are hungry.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:16 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Adding: They give out snacks from the school where I live as well, from the federal government.
So this is in addition to the 5 snacks.
Makes no sense.

I work in a school. Girls. Elementary. They bring 2-3 snack bags. Older girls will bring fruits or cut up veggies. The school gives snack twice a day for younger grades. Once a day for older. But xtra is always available in office or kitchen.
I have not seen anyone bring shopping bags of nosh(unless it’s after purim and moms are getting rid of it.)
Lakewood.

s1

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:24 pm
None.
Primary school doesn't allow "snack bags", my kids take a fruit or veg, pretzels/crackers/plain jack and jill biscuits (packed themselves into small bags from a big pack). Occasionally a granola bar or homemade cookies/muffin for a rosh chodesh treat. For outings they take a packet of bizzli and a packet of sweets/sour sticks and a chocolate bar.
Once they're in secondary school they just keep up the same habits. They've never told me they want snack bags for school. (I couldn't afford it even if they asked)
I'm in the UK 🇬🇧

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:46 pm
My kids must be tiny eaters because I don’t think they ever asked for more than 1 or 2 snack bags. And they would always take an applesauce pouch. Most of them are older now and my teens almost never take snack bags. My toddler who doesn’t eat well gets two healthy snack bags, 2 fruit based snacks, and a granola bar.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:50 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
I think everyone should do what works for them. I send 4-5 snack bags and my kids eat healthy at home. You aren't a better mother if you send one snack bag and your kids are the ones begging the whole recess. My kids don't necessarily eat all their snacks but they know they have enough if they are hungry.

What I'm not understanding is how those snack bags provide sustenance. A handful of chips is what satiates them and gives energy?

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:52 pm
Officially I only let 2.
(One for morning break one for afternoon).
However I’m 99% sure my older kids have a storage bag of them in their backpacks and take more than 2 often. I know they do share with kids who forget to bring though.

I rarely buy snacks like onion rings or Bissli or super snax. Usually potato chips, Corn Pops, pretzels, wafers, and bamba.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:54 pm
I read your last thread also and wanted to reply, but didn't as we don't live in America and my experience probably isn't relevant to you. But as it seems like you feel alone in the world with your beliefs, let me assure you that there are many countries worldwide where your way of thinking is the norm.
So to answer your question: 0.
My kids bring zero snack bags to school. And so does everyone else around here. Actually you cannot buy snack bags, there are no supermarkets that sell them as there's no demand. Also schools here wouldn't allow kids to bring baked goods, cookies or popcorn on a regular basis. Those who need snacks, bring fruit, vegetables or yoghurt.
Of course there's always that one kid. The one who brings a shopping bag of snack bags at yours. Here that one kid will bring a granola bar or a baked good and the rest of the class will complain to their mothers about it.
Yes the food culture is drastically different than the one I read about on here. I'm not lying, I'm not bragging, and I don't think I'm better than anyone else. But for sure I live in a very, very different culture where the expectations are very different. I live in Scandinavia, Europe.
(And before you start feeling envious, let me assure you that the kosher food marked here is very small and boring. But snack bags are not a thing, neither in nor out of the Jewish communities.)

amother
  Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:58 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
What I'm not understanding is how those snack bags provide sustenance. A handful of chips is what satiates them and gives energy?

Speaking from personal experience- yes, a bag of chips as a snack between meals does give me energy and satiate me. If I ever don’t eat enough carbs or sugar, I begin to feel very faint and weak and fatigued. (Obviously healthy snacks that include fat are also good but I don’t have time to do that throughout the day at work)

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:00 pm
amother Puce wrote:
I can't fight the system and I really want my kids to have energy to sit and learn..

My problem is I think the chips do the opposite.
Potato chips provide no energy.
If anything I would think it effect kids negatively and make them lethargic.

I see the poster above also disagrees with me.

I just never felt chips gave me anything. Other than wanting more and hungrier bec of the salt and chemicals.

fbc

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:05 pm
So I self my elementary aged daughter with a few snacks. Usually: cheerios, fruit leather, squeeze applesauce, madegood bar, bissli, pretzel thins. Plus a lunch. She's in school from 8:30-3:50. The reason I do this, though, is because she's very picky and goes through times where she likes and dislikes different things. I tell her she doesn't have to eat it all, but it's there so she has options. She comes home with a lot of it, but every day it's different, so I don't wanna take away any particular snack.

srbmom

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:29 pm
My kids also take 4 to 5 a day. They're out from 7:15 to 4:15. I also have to send lunch which is very hard with no fridge, microwave, hot water...available to them. I do think the snack bags fill them up. I try to pick healthier or at least more filling options for them to have - pretzels, popcorn, cookies, rather than chips and corn puffs. I also send granola bars and cereal

I find that when I buy a big bag and they fill up ziplocks, the snacks get crumbled in their bag and end up in the garbage. Same when I send fruits and vegetables, they always get mushy

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:38 pm
srbmom wrote:
My kids also take 4 to 5 a day. They're out from 7:15 to 4:15. I also have to send lunch which is very hard with no fridge, microwave, hot water...available to them. I do think the snack bags fill them up. I try to pick healthier or at least more filling options for them to have - pretzels, popcorn, cookies, rather than chips and corn puffs. I also send granola bars and cereal

I find that when I buy a big bag and they fill up ziplocks, the snacks get crumbled in their bag and end up in the garbage. Same when I send fruits and vegetables, they always get mushy

Instead of a Ziplock, try tying a plain bag and leaving enough air for a cushion.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics