Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why can't I find a healthy diet muffin?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 6:57 pm
you are better off eating the eggs and the yogurt separately, and if they are made with almond flour, eating the nuts.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 6:59 pm
Fraudulently selling muffins with more calories is not a joke. It's impossible for an 80 calorie muffin to have more than 20 grams of carbs. This is something people could have been relying on when calculating how it will affect their blood sugar.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:01 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I was buying them like crazy and kept wondering how they are so good and so low calorie.
then I passed the store "Spring", and I noticed that their muffins looked the same! So I was curious and I went into spring and asked if they have diet muffins and they said no. I said do you have anything "healthier, or low calorie" and they said no . I was turning inside. Then I called the main office at spring to ask if they sent their muffins to Jus by Julie, and they said yes. I called Jus and asked them what is going on and they were hemming and hawing and transferred me from one to the next. Then they said the manager would call me back etc.
I actually made a really big deal about it because I felt it was complete geneiva and dishonesty.
I went back in a few days later and the sign saying 80 calories was gone. I haven't gone in since. I was so turned off.
I also am now so much more careful eating out because I feel like if they can be this dishonest and rip people off like this and hurt them in their diets and everything, how can I trust their kashrus?
So that's the story of why I think it's a scam.
Also, I WAS gaining weight, and when I stopped the muffins I stopped gaining weight.
I was actually eating them due to a MEDICAL condition that I cant digest fats. And I ws feeling sick for a few weeks until I realized that this might be the issue. I am thin and not on a diet but was very very angry.

Jus by Julie posted the 80 calorie muffins literally 5 days ago.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:32 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
Fraudulently selling muffins with more calories is not a joke. It's impossible for an 80 calorie muffin to have more than 20 grams of carbs. This is something people could have been relying on when calculating how it will affect their blood sugar.

EXACTLY. I told them this. They literally told me that this person will call me back and that person etc. I would have pushed further but I didn't know how. It is SO wrong. So so wrong.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:33 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Jus by Julie posted the 80 calorie muffins literally 5 days ago.

Yup! these are the ones....

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:34 am
I’ll chime in and say that the whole muffin topic got pregnant me craving a muffin desperately. And asked dd to go buy me one
Thanks for the hundreds of added calories OP😂

brachabrooke

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:49 am
AlwaysHoping wrote:
The Tanya muffins are abt 200 calories I think. You can buy them from the bakery that make them on Avenue J in Brooklyn for a fraction on the cost

Tot not same
Even a different hechsher
It’s a rumor and not true
I tried eating the bakery ones and gained weight
I eat here every day and don’t gain weight
Hers are around 160 cal

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:12 am

I'd report to the kashrus agency and gov.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:26 am
amother Puce wrote:
I'd report to the kashrus agency and gov.

I would not report to kashrus agency because its not about kashrus but you can try. I would definitely not report to the government because they have lots of corruption that is looked away from and no way a rav would say its allowed.

See almost everyone here knows a muffin is cake and claims of low calories only can be misrepresented (as in 80 calories per portion, 4 portions per muffin) or 80 calories of sawdust and ground foam cushion with natural flavors of yummy stuff.

Just bake blueberry muffins in mini tins and stick them in your freezer.

Or if you must have it out, go argue with Julie that she must post on the calorie sign how any servings are in the muffin. And ask for an apology and let her know how upset you are.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 6:28 am

Seriously she has to be stopped.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:09 am
AlwaysHoping wrote:
The Tanya muffins are abt 200 calories I think. You can buy them from the bakery that make them on Avenue J in Brooklyn for a fraction on the cost

Which bakery?

Simple1

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:26 am
Maybe I’m missing something here but I’m wondering how it’s ok to have anonymous posters make a claim against a business.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:27 am
Simple1 wrote:
Maybe I’m missing something here but I’m wondering how it’s ok to have anonymous posters make a claim against a business.

Make a claim? Call them up. They will tell you they are 80 calories. Who is making a claim?

Simple1

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Make a claim? Call them up. They will tell you they are 80 calories. Who is making a claim?

Meaning a claim that they are really not 80 cal and from a regular bakery.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:46 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
I would not report to kashrus agency because its not about kashrus but you can try. I would definitely not report to the government because they have lots of corruption that is looked away from and no way a rav would say its allowed.

See almost everyone here knows a muffin is cake and claims of low calories only can be misrepresented (as in 80 calories per portion, 4 portions per muffin) or 80 calories of sawdust and ground foam cushion with natural flavors of yummy stuff.

Just bake blueberry muffins in mini tins and stick them in your freezer.

Or if you must have it out, go argue with Julie that she must post on the calorie sign how any servings are in the muffin. And ask for an apology and let her know how upset you are.

I mean, it really is relevant to kashrus. They're not being honest about what's in the muffins. How do I know that isn't also extending to the kashrus of what they're putting in them?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:47 am
This is a well known lie. It starts off with good intentions- there's one version of a muffin that a nutritionist hears is low cal and then they start offering all flavors, and also the bakery changes recipes, and the nutritionist's consumers are not informed.

I had this with other nutritionists. I was taught how to snack, when previously I was not a nosher. At first it worked with the diet, but then it backfired and wreaked havoc on my metabolism, which stayed forever.

Muffins are not part of a "diet plan", end of story.

Watch what you consume and make it if possible (yes I know it won't taste as good because you're being careful about what you put in).

And see a registered dietician, not a nutritionist.

Layokee

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:55 am
So if I want something sweet to eat with a coffee, what options do I have?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:09 am
Probably 80 calories a serving. And that’s likely 1/4 to 1/2 a muffin.

Joseph and David sells actually healthy versions of muffins. Much smaller but homemade and she (the owner) cares what’s put in them! She does not outsource.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:10 am
Layokee wrote:

Make your own muffins or cake!

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:12 am
Layokee wrote:

Depends on how you want to handle it

Pepperidge Farm makes packages of cookies that are delicious and portion controlled so perfect if you want a small nosh. There are two Mint Milano cookies in each individually wrapped package and you can buy them on amazon or Walmart.com

I make Baked Oatmeal which is essentially oatmeal because it is oatmeal, milk, fruit (mashed banana and whatever fruits like blueberries or even raisins I add), vanilla, an egg and a small amount of sugar - this would be for eight portions. It is as healthy as a bowl of oatmeal but feels like I am eating a muffin or cake and I would have this as breakfast. It would bake a pan - cut into portions and freeze individually. I would then bring to work and just nuke for my breakfast there.

Or have whatever it is in a small portion. There are lower calorie cakes or cookies that are delicious. My mother used to make a cake which subbed applesauce for fat and then she would cut it up in portions, freeze and have one as her dessert. But there are loads of recipes for healthy versions of desserts - but they are all going to be more than 80 calories unless you limit the portion size.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics