Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why can't I find a healthy diet muffin?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:18 am
Iymnok wrote:
You could call it a muffin , but it's really a crustless quiche. Very Happy
More delicious IMO!

And a muffin from a bake shop is really cake! Laugh

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:19 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I'm sorry OP, but the Jus by Julie muffins are a scam. I actually called to complain to them about it and asked them for a refund for all the muffins I've bought.
They buy them from Spring, and in Spring they are sold as regular muffins with around 300 calories. They might even have more.
If your diet isn't working, this is why.
You can call to complain but don't expect anything.
They actually told me they would reimburse me but never did. (I knew they wouldn't I just don't go for BS)

Depends which jus by julie.
The boro park location stopped selling those that spring sells.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:29 am
Low carb muffins
Ingredients:
4 egg whites
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup of oat flour
1/2cup of water
8 almonds
1/2 box of diet strawberry gelatin powder
1 tablespoon of baking powder

Beat the egg whites and set aside.
Blend the water with the diet strawberry gelatin powder and the almonds.
Mix the rest of the ingredients without a blender and then slowly add the beaten egg whites you had set aside.
Use silicon cupcake tray and put in the oven for 40 minutes.

Comptroller

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:44 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
Do you have a recipe?

I just take my fat-free kigel receipe and fill them into muffin moulds...

It's basically grated or sliced veggies plus egg, salt, pepper, spices...

I take about 1 egg per half zucchini, or 1 egg per potato...

So you could do:

grate 1 zucchini
add 1-2 eggs
salt, pepper spices to taste
fill into muffin mould
Bake at 200°C for about 20-30 minutes (till brown)

or
grate 1 zucchini plus 2 carrots plus 1 onion
Add 3 eggs
salt, pepper spices to taste
fill in muffin moulds, bake

or
grate 1 zucchin, slice 4 mushrooms
add 2 eggs
salt, pepper, spice to taste
Line muffin moulds with flattened challah-dough
fill in filling
bake

or
boil 1 broccoli (let it cool off a bit), blend, add 1-2 eggs
add salt, pepper, cumin (other spices) to taste
fill in muffin moulds
bake

or
spinach

or
pumpkin

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:02 pm
I love the cookie and Kate maple banana muffins and to make them healthier she has an apple sauce option
When baked well they are so good ( oil or applesauce) but

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:11 pm
Contemporary muffins are cake baked in a muffin tin, plain and simple. Vendors call them "muffins" to increase sales by fooling people into thinking they're not cake. The original American muffin was a dense breadlike affair, made of coarse grains like corn, rye, oats and bran, without chemical leavening, sweetened with molasses, maple syrup, or the water in which raisins had been soaked. They may or may not have been marginally tastier than regular bread. They were popular for breakfast because they could be produced quickly and didn't require kneading and rising time the way yeast breads do.

Over time, muffins grew ever lighter and sweeter, with refined wheat flour gradually replacing the heartier whole grains, for the most part, until they differed from cake in name and presentation only. They also grew larger and larger, with the "muffin top" eventually becoming larger, in many cases, than the portion in the muffin tin. Today's commercially-sold "muffin" is often three times the size of what passed for a muffin in the 1940s.

imaima

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:22 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
Contemporary muffins are cake baked in a muffin tin, plain and simple. Vendors call them "muffins" to increase sales by fooling people into thinking they're not cake. The original American muffin was a dense breadlike affair, made of coarse grains like corn, rye, oats and bran, without chemical leavening, sweetened with molasses, maple syrup, or the water in which raisins had been soaked. They may or may not have been marginally tastier than regular bread. They were popular for breakfast because they could be produced quickly and didn't require kneading and rising time the way yeast breads do.

Over time, muffins grew ever lighter and sweeter, with refined wheat flour gradually replacing the heartier whole grains, for the most part, until they differed from cake in name and presentation only. They also grew larger and larger, with the "muffin top" eventually becoming larger, in many cases, than the portion in the muffin tin. Today's commercially-sold "muffin" is often three times the size of what passed for a muffin in the 1940s.

Thank you
I have always thought that muffin is the name of the shape only. And wondered how they differ from cupcakes.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:27 pm
I'm sorry OP, but the Jus by Julie muffins are a scam. I actually called to complain to them about it and asked them for a refund for all the muffins I've bought.
They buy them from Spring, and in Spring they are sold as regular muffins with around 300 calories. They might even have more.
If your diet isn't working, this is why.
You can call to complain but don't expect anything.
They actually told me they would reimburse me but never did. (I knew they wouldn't I just don't go for BS)

How did you find this out?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
How did you find this out?

Yes I am wondering this also...
How did you realize it's a scam?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:37 pm
The only way you can calculate few calories for a large muffin, is if you have "free" items on your plan that you incorporate into your muffin.
Like if you use applesauce instead of oil, and count that as one of your fruits that day, and/or you add in shredded veggies that are free on your plan, maybe you use 2 tbsp nut butter that you usually use as your snack, etc.
Good luck.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:41 pm
BTW the Just by Julie muffins in monsey are 120 calories (besides the oat muffins).
while they aren't small, they are very light and airy and I wouldn't be surprised if they were really 120 calories...
the tanya muffins are around the same size but denser I think (and therefore more calories...)
can anyone confirm the calories on these are not accurate?
I eat them alot and I count calories daily...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:47 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
BTW the Just by Julie muffins in monsey are 120 calories (besides the oat muffins).
while they aren't small, they are very light and airy and I wouldn't be surprised if they were really 120 calories...
the tanya muffins are around the same size but denser I think (and therefore more calories...)
can anyone confirm the calories on these are not accurate?
I eat them alot and I count calories daily...

I am in the 5 towns. There is a sign up by the muffins that says 80 calories. I asked the sales lady about the cc muffins and she said yes, 80 calories. This whole thread is meaningless if the muffins are in fact more calories. To those writing about how you cant find a healthy muffin, they are cake etc. This whole thread was based on the 80 calorie ones from JBJ. If they are actually more calories, obviously it would make sense that I can't find a recipe.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:54 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Reminds me of an old seinfeld episode where they are selling fat free ice cream and everyone is putting in weight. Turns out theres plenty of fat in it.
If its too good to be true it probably isnt

The episode was based on a real "scandal" involving "low calorie" ice cream that turned out to be high fat high calorie ice cream.

People were making pilgrimages to the actual store to buy it.

At CremaLita’s Third Avenue branch, the small vanilla soft serve is advertised as having 60 calories in four fluid ounces. In fact, one small cup contained 153 calories. Tasti D-Lite advertises a 40-calorie, four-fluid-ounce product; testing of the smallest vanilla servings sold at various branches found as many as 224 calories.

https://www.eatliverun.com/surprise-dessert/

I think there were also some muffins that were found to be high calorie instead of low calorie

Veggies Made Great makes an egg white and veggie "muffin" which is tiny and it is 80 calories - they re more like an egg product than a "muffin"

Ingredients

Ingredients:

Vegetable Blend (Spinach, Tomatoes, Onions, Red Bell Peppers), Egg Whites, Mozzarella (Pasteurized Part Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Milk, Canola Oil, Buckwheat, Corn Starch, Sugar, Citrus Fiber, Salt, Garlic Powder, Non-Dairy Natural Gruyere Cheese Flavor (Gum Arabic, Maltodextrin, Organic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor), Black Pepper

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
Have you considered that the claim of low calorie is false?

There have been a few "scandals" involving false claims of low calories.

Alternatively they could be using commercial products like sawdust or equivalent that bulk up the batter.
Coconut flour and psyllium husk aren’t sawdust but they aren’t absorbed by the body.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am in the 5 towns. There is a sign up by the muffins that says 80 calories. I asked the sales lady about the cc muffins and she said yes, 80 calories. This whole thread is meaningless if the muffins are in fact more calories. To those writing about how you cant find a healthy muffin, they are cake etc. This whole thread was based on the 80 calorie ones from JBJ. If they are actually more calories, obviously it would make sense that I can't find a recipe.

That's very interesting...
in the Monsey branch, all the muffins have a little sign saying the flavor and 120 calories, besides the oat muffins, which say 80 calories...

AlwaysHoping

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:42 pm
The Tanya muffins are abt 200 calories I think. You can buy them from the bakery that make them on Avenue J in Brooklyn for a fraction on the cost

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:50 pm
Strauss Bakery on 13&53 also makes diet friendly muffins that are approved by some nutritionists. Not sure on calories though…

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:03 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Yes I am wondering this also...
How did you realize it's a scam?

I was buying them like crazy and kept wondering how they are so good and so low calorie.
then I passed the store "Spring", and I noticed that their muffins looked the same! So I was curious and I went into spring and asked if they have diet muffins and they said no. I said do you have anything "healthier, or low calorie" and they said no . I was turning inside. Then I called the main office at spring to ask if they sent their muffins to Jus by Julie, and they said yes. I called Jus and asked them what is going on and they were hemming and hawing and transferred me from one to the next. Then they said the manager would call me back etc.
I actually made a really big deal about it because I felt it was complete geneiva and dishonesty.
I went back in a few days later and the sign saying 80 calories was gone. I haven't gone in since. I was so turned off.
I also am now so much more careful eating out because I feel like if they can be this dishonest and rip people off like this and hurt them in their diets and everything, how can I trust their kashrus?
So that's the story of why I think it's a scam.
Also, I WAS gaining weight, and when I stopped the muffins I stopped gaining weight.
I was actually eating them due to a MEDICAL condition that I cant digest fats. And I ws feeling sick for a few weeks until I realized that this might be the issue. I am thin and not on a diet but was very very angry.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:25 pm
I was buying them like crazy and kept wondering how they are so good and so low calorie.
then I passed the store "Spring", and I noticed that their muffins looked the same! So I was curious and I went into spring and asked if they have diet muffins and they said no. I said do you have anything "healthier, or low calorie" and they said no . I was turning inside. Then I called the main office at spring to ask if they sent their muffins to Jus by Julie, and they said yes. I called Jus and asked them what is going on and they were hemming and hawing and transferred me from one to the next. Then they said the manager would call me back etc.
I actually made a really big deal about it because I felt it was complete geneiva and dishonesty.
I went back in a few days later and the sign saying 80 calories was gone. I haven't gone in since. I was so turned off.
I also am now so much more careful eating out because I feel like if they can be this dishonest and rip people off like this and hurt them in their diets and everything, how can I trust their kashrus?
So that's the story of why I think it's a scam.
Also, I WAS gaining weight, and when I stopped the muffins I stopped gaining weight.
I was actually eating them due to a MEDICAL condition that I cant digest fats. And I ws feeling sick for a few weeks until I realized that this might be the issue. I am thin and not on a diet but was very very angry.

Wow that is so dishonest and disgusting. Did you report it to the supervising kashrus agency? Wonder if they would continue to stand behind them ? (I know it doesn’t have to do with kashrus per se but it’s just so wrong.)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:30 pm
AlwaysHoping wrote:
The Tanya muffins are abt 200 calories I think. You can buy them from the bakery that make them on Avenue J in Brooklyn for a fraction on the cost

Ave J charges the same as TAP these days.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics