Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why can't I find a healthy diet muffin?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 7:55 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for a healthy muffin they can please post that's naturally low sugar, low carb, airy (so lower calorie) muffin (like maybe with almond butter, banana/carrot puree, egg whites, etc?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 7:11 pm
to be lower carb, it should be gluten free. flour is carbs. so is sugar and basically any sweetener that's not a diet sugar. fruit is all carbs too.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 7:31 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe for a healthy muffin they can please post that's naturally low sugar, low carb, airy (so lower calorie) muffin (like maybe with almond butter, banana/carrot puree, egg whites, etc?

This my go to almond butter muffin recipe

1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup almond butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tbs maple
2 tsp vanilla
Top with chocolate chips bake for 12 mins on 350 don’t over bake …

I’m not sure how healthy or unhealthy they are. I just know they’re delicious and we all love them.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:13 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
This my go to almond butter muffin recipe

1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup almond butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tbs maple
2 tsp vanilla
Top with chocolate chips bake for 12 mins on 350 don’t over bake …

I’m not sure how healthy or unhealthy they are. I just know they’re delicious and we all love them.

Thank you! Sounds really good! How many muffins do you make from this recipe?

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:15 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
Thank you! Sounds really good! How many muffins do you make from this recipe?

I double it and get a dozen I believe — but make sure not to over bake ! Every oven is different

lamplighter

Post Yesterday at 1:05 am
Does it need the chocolate chips? I x like chocolate chips. Some recipes rely on the CC for sweetness.

Iymnok

Post Yesterday at 1:41 am
lamplighter wrote:
Does it need the chocolate chips? I x like chocolate chips. Some recipes rely on the CC for sweetness.

I'll happily replace c.chips with blueberries!

Amarante

Post Yesterday at 9:03 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
I double it and get a dozen I believe — but make sure not to over bake ! Every oven is different

Calculated without the chocolate chips Very Happy each muffin would be approximately 231 calories.

This is not significantly lower calorie than other food choices depending on size and enjoyment.

This is a gluten free recipe but that has nothing to do with "calories" which is what this thread is about - I.e. the quest for a large 80 calorie muffin. LOL

Calculated for 12 muffins - I.e. recipe double per poster’s instructions

almond flour -640
almond butter 1360
eggs 360
maple syrup 416

Total is 2776 or 231 for each muffin

amother
Vanilla

Post Yesterday at 9:15 am
Amarante wrote:
Calculated without the chocolate chips Very Happy each muffin would be approximately 231 calories.

This is not significantly lower calorie than other food choices depending on size and enjoyment.

This is a gluten free recipe but that has nothing to do with "calories" which is what this thread is about - I.e. the quest for a large 80 calorie muffin. LOL

almond flour -640
almond butter 1360
eggs 360
maple syrup 416

I soooo did not need to wake to this 😂😂 I did state im not sure if they’re healthier or not.. maybe ill start making them with flax eggs

Amarante

Post Yesterday at 9:30 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
I soooo did not need to wake to this 😂😂 I did state im not sure if they’re healthier or not.. maybe ill start making them with flax eggs

The eggs aren't the issue - they are only 90 calories per egg and are extremely healthy for most people unless they have an allergy to eggs.

Really it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

This recipe isn't particularly low calorie and is gluten free as well as low carb. If you are eating low carb or have celiac then it is "healthy". If you are trying to lose weight by limiting intake of calories by some method, then you would factor in the calories as part of your daily intake.

I was just pointing out calories since the thread is about an 80 calorie muffin and not a gluten free muffin or a low carb muffin. Very Happy

amother
Moccasin

Post Yesterday at 9:32 am
Amarante wrote:

almond flour -640
almond butter 1360
eggs 360
maple syrup 416

Hmm... I checked my almond butter jar, 220 calories for 2 tbspns so that would be 880 for half a cup, right?- so we're "down" to 2296 or 191 calories per muffin-is there anything else we can do to tweak the recipe? Maybe egg beaters/egg whites instead of eggs? Also, can we use otger flour that is less calorie dense than almond flour (I know that Rorie's baking flour substitute has a mixture of flours & it's less calories, but it's expensive & I remember thinking that they weren't common flours)

Amarante

Post Yesterday at 9:37 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
Hmm... I checked my almond butter jar, 220 calories for 2 tbspns so that would be 880 for half a cup, right?- so we're "down" to 2296 or 191 calories per muffin-is there anything else we can do to tweak the recipe? Maybe egg beaters/egg whites instead of eggs?

Sure you can tweak it but you aren't going to get to the mythical 80 calorie large muffin which is the point of this thread.

Whatever you calculate your muffin to be, you need to add it as part of your calories for the day - assuming that you are using calories as a way to maintain or lose weight.

There are probably lower calorie "muffin" recipes since flour is less caloric than almond flour and nut butter is high in calories. The typical "diet" baked product used apple sauce or prune puree instead of fat and often artificial sweetener instead of sugar. Or lower amounts of sugar since applesauce/prune puree provided sweetness so less sugar was necessary.

amother
Turquoise

Post Yesterday at 9:39 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
Hmm... I checked my almond butter jar, 220 calories for 2 tbspns so that would be 880 for half a cup, right?- so we're "down" to 2296 or 191 calories per muffin-is there anything else we can do to tweak the recipe? Maybe egg beaters/egg whites instead of eggs? Also, can we use otger flour that is less calorie dense than almond flour (I know that Rorie's baking flour substitute has a mixture of flours & it's less calories, but it's expensive & I remember thinking that they weren't common flours)

You can use PB2 powder and water instead of almond butter for calories. 1/2 cup powder to 1/4 cup water for 1/4 cup nut butter equivalent.

If you want to take it further, 4 egg whites instead of 2 eggs.

Blueberries instead of choc chips.

Amarante

Post Yesterday at 9:45 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
You can use PB2 powder and water instead of almond butter for calories. 1/2 cup powder to 1/4 cup water for 1/4 cup nut butter equivalent.

If you want to take it further, 4 egg whites instead of 2 eggs.

Blueberries instead of choc chips.

Sure you can do all this but I ask seriously what is the point.

Just make something that is fantastically delicious and savor it as part of your food intake.

Either eat a small portion daily or more frequently or have a splurge once a week or occasionally.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics