Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Doona Question

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:37 pm
If you owned a doona for a few years, how many babies/total months did you use it for, before you had to replace it?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:40 pm
I have one since my three year old was born. So far she used it for two years. (She was small) My four month old baby is using it now.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:47 pm
I bought one for my baby 6 years ago, and by now used it four of my kids when they were babies bh:)

Really felt it was a great purchase and got such great use out of it!

scintilla

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:58 pm
They expire after 6 years, and I've never used the same one for that long but got one second hand and used it till it expired. The wheels were definitely worn but they still worked nicely!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:59 pm
they only have a six year life.
mine is being used for a second time. I used it for almost 16 months and the baby using it now is 14 months. (small babies who didn’t outgrow it so quickly). It is in use nearly daily.
It is definitely in good shape for another baby.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 12:02 am
I know this isn't the question you asked, but if you are just considering it and haven't actually purchased one, I would really recommend getting a different car seat. Doona's are not super safe.

amother
Mayflower  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 12:22 am
2 kids, 3 years apart. It depends on how many babies you have before it expires..

amother
  Mayflower  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 12:31 am
amother Banana wrote:
I know this isn't the question you asked, but if you are just considering it and haven't actually purchased one, I would really recommend getting a different car seat. Doona's are not super safe.

Enough with the fear mongering. There are lots of carseat options out there, feel free to recommend you favorite. However all carseats on the market in the US (most first world countries have their own programs..) follow vigorous standards & testing & are deemed safe before being sold.

I'm sure there are always additional safety features some models have, this doesn't make the basic models unsafe. It's way more important to install the seat properly, follow height & weight requirements etc.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 12:46 am
I bought mine exactly 6 years ago and used it for 4 kids bH, each for a year+. Still in great condition, just the hood sometimes detaches and we have to stick the piece back in. So happy with it and felt like I really got my money's worth.

Brit in Israel  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 5:43 am
amother Banana wrote:

Doonas as a car seat is safe, it using it for long periods which isn't safe the same as any other car seats.
A car seat is a car seat not a stroller

amother
Ebony  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 8:31 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
Enough with the fear mongering. There are lots of carseat options out there, feel free to recommend you favorite. However all carseats on the market in the US (most first world countries have their own programs..) follow vigorous standards & testing & are deemed safe before being sold.

I'm sure there are always additional safety features some models have, this doesn't make the basic models unsafe. It's way more important to install the seat properly, follow height & weight requirements etc.

Prance around in your donation and kid yourself. Donna's are not meant for all dau city walking nor is any car seat. Donna's do not have great safety ratings compared to others.
Infant car seats are meant to be used with a head rest and fully buckled with straps pulled tight so they can't be pinched.
Enough said.
Now yoy decide if your classy baby is traveling safely

amother
  Mayflower  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:08 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Prance around in your donation and kid yourself. Donna's are not meant for all dau city walking nor is any car seat. Donna's do not have great safety ratings compared to others.
Infant car seats are meant to be used with a head rest and fully buckled with straps pulled tight so they can't be pinched.
Enough said.
Now yoy decide if your classy baby is traveling safely

??

Who's not using the headrest & properly strapping in? Who's talking about using it instead of a stroller? We're talking carseats here.

tweety1  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:23 am
I had it for 5 years 3 kids. It was still more or less in great condition. Just the inside foam became moldy. I think what happened was when I washed it down for pesach or any other time I gave the kids snack I didn't let it dry. I took out the insert washed in in the machine so I might as well wash that foam too. It was my mistake. Otherwise you would never believe it was 5 years old.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 9:25 am
I beg to differ to some posters here, my pediatrician is an old guy. I asked him about babies sleeping in a swing or car seat "if they're comfortable, let them till they're 120 years old". I trust my pediatrician alot more than I trust some mothers on here. I'm an old school girl.

amother
  Ebony

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 10:00 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
??

Who's not using the headrest & properly strapping in? Who's talking about using it instead of a stroller? We're talking carseats here.

Rarely see anyone with headrest. Most people don't fully buckled at least not in my town. When being used for a second time or more for newborn many people dont put the headrest that they took offback on. I have seen even at vach nach or coming to bris (straight out of car) no buckle or headrest

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 10:06 am
amother Banana wrote:

can you explain this?

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:14 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I beg to differ to some posters here, my pediatrician is an old guy. I asked him about babies sleeping in a swing or car seat "if they're comfortable, let them till they're 120 years old". I trust my pediatrician alot more than I trust some mothers on here. I'm an old school girl.

If he is an old guy he is most likely thinking of the old style car seats that are like recliners, not nearly a 90 degree angle. It's a big different for the babies back.

amother
  Mayflower

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 10:35 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Rarely see anyone with headrest. Most people don't fully buckled at least not in my town. When being used for a second time or more for newborn many people dont put the headrest that they took offback on. I have seen even at vach nach or coming to bris (straight out of car) no buckle or headrest

Again l, that's not a doona issue. Do you think those parents who don't buckle the doona carseat would buckle a different brand of carseat?

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:12 pm
Thanks for all the answers, it’s very helpful.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:20 pm
Mine is 4 years old, used for 2 kids. Hope to use it for one more. I get the benefits and can understand why people love it. Personally it’s not my favorite, my babies are very big and grew out of it young and I once they were 15 lbs I found it sooo hard lift. By 6 months I switched to a reversible seat and I found the baby was much happier. All that said, I work from home and had hired help in the house. I don’t take my babies out a ton (not for carpools etc) so I can see why moms like that would love it cuz the baby can sleep and remain asleep…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics