Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Transitioning from Doona to crib
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 5:39 pm
My 7 month old sleeps through the night in his Doona . Any tips for transitioning to a crib?

gr82no

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 5:42 pm
No advice but get ready for the bashing

amother
Pistachio  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 5:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 7 month old sleeps through the night in his Doona . Any tips for transitioning to a crib?

Unfortunately he’s too old to safely swaddle to replicate the cozy feeling (although the doona probably is no better than swaddling, so if that’s what it takes…).

You may just need to bite the bullet and have a few bad nights, or he may surprise you and be fine

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 5:46 pm
gr82no wrote:

I’ll start lol.
Oy vey OP. Get him out of the Doona asap

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 5:51 pm
What the heck is all I have to say!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 5:59 pm
A great health insurance to cover neck and back issues!!!!

amother
Eggshell  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 6:06 pm
my back is literally hurting just thinking about it Sad I'm sure OP is a fantastic mother who does her best for her baby, so how are people so uninformed about this?

happy chick

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 6:11 pm
Oy vey, that's not good. I'm sure you knew what was going to come your way when you posted this.

Anyways, my advice would be to start in a porter crib, not a full size crib. And put him in the corner so he can feel at least 2 sides. He needs to feel secure. It's gonna be hard, but like another poster said, he may just surprise you. Good luck Smile

amother
Gardenia  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 6:32 pm
Have you even tried a crib? He may take to it right away.

Otherwise, either take a few bad nights like someone posted or perhaps try a lie flat stroller as a transition.

To all bashers, op didn't give details. Perhaps her baby has a severe digestive condition or other medical need that warranted sleeping in an upright position.

Tao  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 8:58 pm
I honestly thought this thread was going to be how when your baby falls asleep in the car, how do you transfer them to the crib for their nap without them waking up. Came on here for tips!

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:12 pm
OP, do you care to share with us why he has been sleeping in the doona?

At this point I think your best bet is to put him on his stomach in the crib and try rocking him to sleep

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:13 pm
Oy. If your baby has a flat head, I have a recommendation for a helmet place. We had to go through that!

amother
  Pistachio  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:19 pm
Tao wrote:
I honestly thought this thread was going to be how when your baby falls asleep in the car, how do you transfer them to the crib for their nap without them waking up. Came on here for tips!

Me too initially, so I’m happy to share my tip:
I go inside, prep a bottle , then stick it in baby’s mouth and transfer him while he drinks a bottle.

Tao  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:19 pm
gr82no wrote:

Whats the point in bashing? It's already done. No point at all except to make her feel bad. You can just say nicely and firmly that it's not healthy or safe and she should start having him sleep in a crib from now on. Sometimes people forget there are actual real people with real feelings behind the username.
OP, I'm sure you didn't know, but the Doona is really a car seat, and it's not great for baby to sleep in it for extended periods. It'll be a hard first 3 nights but I'm sure he'll get used to his crib!

Tao

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:20 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
I go inside, prep a bottle , then stick it in baby’s mouth and transfer him while he drinks a bottle.

Genius!! I'll have to try that!

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:45 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:

Please remove the bottle once he's in the crib or you're setting him up for a host of dental problems. Btdt unfortunately...

amother
  Eggshell  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 10:02 pm
please don't leave baby alone in the car while you make a bottle!! (I hope that goes without saying and that someone else is in the car)

amother
  Pistachio  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 10:05 pm
amother Clear wrote:
Please remove the bottle once he's in the crib or you're setting him up for a host of dental problems. Btdt unfortunately...

Don’t worry, he doesn’t keep it and he normally doesn’t fall asleep with it- he normally drinks it, hands me the empty bottle , grabs his water bottle and goes to sleep.
I figure the max 1 a week he sleep drinks during transfer isn’t a big deal

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 10:08 pm
Sorry if this is off topic but how did you get your 7mo to sleep through the night? Desperate over here lol

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
please don't leave baby alone in the car while you make a bottle!! (I hope that goes without saying and that someone else is in the car)

The whole point of the doona u can bring it in your house while u make a bottle
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics