Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/o transitioning away from laying with kid to sleep

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:16 pm
For those of you who got stuck in this routine and successfully broke out of it - how did you do it?!

amother
Strawberry  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:17 pm
You move to a chair near the bed for a few nights, then move the chair to the middle of the room, then to the door, then outside the door and then you say you will come back and check on them soon. Do each one for a few nights.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:17 pm
Following

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:36 pm
What’s this a spin off from? Maybe I could benefit from that thread
I need to transition too this takes up my night

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
You move to a chair near the bed for a few nights, then move the chair to the middle of the room, then to the door, then outside the door and then you say you will come back and check on them soon. Do each one for a few nights.

What if your baby isn’t old enough to understand “I’ll come back and check on you soon” and just starts crying when you leave?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:39 pm
amother Stone wrote:
What’s this a spin off from? Maybe I could benefit from that thread
I need to transition too this takes up my night

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....70752

amother
  Strawberry

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
What if your baby isn’t old enough to understand “I’ll come back and check on you soon” and just starts crying when you leave?

They understand usually from a little before a year. Either way the chair method should work without the last part too. How old are we talking?

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:44 pm
I'm working on it now since we got into the habit after a crazy year. We do our whole bedtime routine (books, shema, hamalach hagoel, I tuck them in, and then I sit in a chair in their room, but the time was growing and I realized no matter when I left, they were still upset and popping out--staying longer only helped if I stayed till they were totally asleep.

I've been telling them I'm only staying for x minutes, and decreasing the time gradually. (Ex: Mommy, can you stay? -okay, but I can only stay for 15, 12, 10, 5 min). My 4 year old, who's the one who really wants me to stay, seems to accept this. I also put on a story cd for them to listen to in bed. Last night I stayed for 5 and it worked well, so I'm hoping it sticks.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 3:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Then you stay... because it's a baby.
Wasn't the other thread about bigger kids?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 5:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

I would treat it like sleep training. My babies were never old enough to understand words when I sleep trained them. I sleep trained them anyway.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 6:06 pm
IMO, in the course of typical childhood development, the level of language development needed to understand this develops before/around the same time that a child is ready for a little more separation.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 7:11 pm
I had the biggest problem with this—
My daughter had severe anxiety and Sensory processing and I was holding her (age 2.5) to sleep.

Tbh, what happened was I stopped letting her nap and she got so tired that she’d go to sleep without me. I also tell her every night I’ll come check on her. And I do .

Sorry if that wasn’t particularly helpful

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 9:57 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
IMO, in the course of typical childhood development, the level of language development needed to understand this develops before/around the same time that a child is ready for a little more separation.

What age would you say this is?

To the other poster that asked, my daughter is 13 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics