Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Things you wanted when you were a kid and still miss....
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:29 am
This thread came to me today when I saw a kid wearing flashing trainers;

What are things you pined for as a kid but never got, and still feel nostalgic when you see them today?

Il start;

Trainers or shoes with lights, ahh I Loved them!
I never got a pair and always thought theyr so beautiful.

A doll that cries.
I remember being promised one from someone as a reward, and When I got one it didnt work.
I was soo disappointed.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:30 am
Slime. My mother didn’t allow it and now I let my kids play with it whenever they want. And yes it DOES come out of clothes.

patzer

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:40 am
I always wanted braces on my teeth.
I also always wanted my own horse. And a Samantha doll.
I never got any of those things. Crying

(Don't worry; I have great parents and was definitely not deprived of anything....other than these three things Wink )

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:45 am
A new doll carriage. The pram type. Not me , My daughter

When my daughter was a toddler we bought her a $10 doll cariage. Cheap type np hood. We didn't have the money but my mother upgraded her a little the type with 3 wheels. That didn't last for ever she asked for a double stroller but someone gave us a second hand small bugaboo style carriage. She asked us again mid first grade along with new dolls and new doll clothing. We bought her the new doll and clothing g which was cheaper. She asked again. End of first and we were worried she will stop playing with doll carriages because played more with mini dolls. By then she was very tall and would need a taller carriage. My daughter is 9 is still asking me for her very own doll carriage. The taller ones that are not even that tall go for $60. Debating buying her one. Living day to day we will starve for a week because of it.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:46 am
I wanted a shiny glittery wheelie briefcase and my hair neatly gelled every morning into two ponies (it was very curly).

When I was older it was a Ralph Lauren pullover like the cool kids in my school. My mother got one as a hand me down but it was snatched up by my older cooler sister.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:46 am
Tamagachi
American girl doll
Basically any fad of the 90s.. my parents weren’t into getting things cuz “everyone has one”.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:56 am
Wow. The memories this question brought up.
I grew up in a pretty wealthy home. Never missed anything. Except for one thing. A Shabbos jacket. Not sure why my mom didn’t get me one. I was desperate. But I wasn’t the type to ask.
I had everything I needed. We loved shopping for bargains. Daffys was our favorite store. But if the cheaper stores didn’t have it, my mom would have no problem shopping in the local more expensive stores. Except for a Shabbos jacket.
Most of my friends had Gieswein jackets. Of course I wanted one of those. But that was out of the question. I just never got any Shabbos jacket. I remember not going out of the house in certain seasons. Cuz I didn’t have a Shabbos jacket.

Had everything else I needed. Or wanted.
But I do remember pouring over the American girl doll catalog and pining for a Molly doll. My little sister ended up getting one years later from an aunt as a present. But I never did. Of course my kids have that now. Along with an endless support of jackets. lol

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:01 pm
A functional family
Shabbos shoes/ normal clothes (only had sometimes)
To go to sleep away camp
A toy pinball machine
To live on a farm!
And of course an American girl doll...

rkay

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:01 pm
American girl doll. All my friends had one, I wanted it so badly...

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:03 pm
A Juicy sweater

schoolbus

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:10 pm
I know someone that’s 35 and recently bought herself an American girl doll because she never got it as a kid!

amother
Lawngreen  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:10 pm
A game boy!! I play super Mario on my phone sometimes 🙈

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:14 pm
Probably the only thing I'm not over is my own clothes.
No matter what I have, I have such a hard time getting rid of clothes I love even if I'm not wearing them. I feel I will regret getting rid of them.
I buy what I like. But can't get rid of items I don't have a replacement for, even if they're no longer size or condition that I can wear them in.
I can purge easily from the rest of the home, from the kids and hubbies closet. Not mine.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:15 pm
96 crayola crayons with the sharpener in the back
Barbies
Ruffle socks

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:16 pm
schoolbus wrote:
I know someone that’s 35 and recently bought herself an American girl doll because she never got it as a kid!

Anytime I buy doll stuff for my kids DH always tease me that I'm really buying it for myself. I most definitely wasn't deprived in the doll furniture and clothing as a kid but played with it until probably 12 and only stopped coz I was aware it was a strange thing to do at that age. (Now I'm older I see it was my escape to a normal/safe life)

Can't think of anything I missed as a kid, my parents were very much if you want it earn it and I did 'cleaning' jobs from a young age to earn money. I was the first in my class to get heelys very quickly after they came in. And the same was for alot of other trending things.

amother
Grape  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:14 pm
I wanted a game looks who is coming to dinner

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:43 pm
I was dying for the little tikes dollhouse with the miniature little tikes accessories and furniture like a cozy coupe. It’s funny, it seems that our generation just buys what our kids want because we were deprived of these things as children!

None of my friends had American girl dolls back then, but I had one friend who loved dolls so much and really wanted one. She got one in like 8th grade.

ETA I couldn’t care less about it now 😄 so I guess I didn’t really follow the OP..

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:45 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
A game boy!! I play super Mario on my phone sometimes 🙈

Same, I would legit still enjoy one (unless I get it and find out I wouldnt...)
Havent found a comparable game on my phone.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 4:07 pm
Lol yea this is so true.

I feel like theres nothing my kids pine for that they dont get.
Its crazy.

I never had a bike, roller blades, gameboys, electronic games and I was ok.
It was a no ,and we just went with it.

I feel like my kids have so much, yet theyre never ok with the stuff they have Sad

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 4:09 pm
I rly wanted an easy bake oven
But my mother said it wasn’t kosher
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics