Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Cooking and keeping food warm on Yom Tov

Layokee  

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:10 pm
I'm wondering how everyone cooks and warms up their food on Yom tov.
I think food tastes best fresh. But I don't want to have my stove top on the whole Yom tov.
A hot plate is great to warm up food that I prepared in advance, but a hot plate plus a stove top makes my kitchen so hot.
How do you work oyur the food on a Yom tov?

SuperWify

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:23 pm
Keep your oven on low 225’

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:32 pm
Keep my oven on low for reheating, and I use a crock pot to cook or reheat soup.(I suggest crock pots with manual controls vs electronic)

You can also use the crock pot to reheat meat or smaller metal containers of sides.

Itsallfromhim

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:48 pm
Leaving the oven on isn't dangerous?

Golde

Post Yesterday at 1:34 pm
I prepare everything in advance and reheat it on the platta. It's not amazing but that's what I do.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Yesterday at 2:01 pm
If you have a laundry room closet to kitchen but your Shabbos platta in there and not in kitchen.
I use a blech for heating up food for YT and I have a special device which shuts off the gas just like a Shabbos timer.

imaima

Post Yesterday at 2:03 pm
Golde wrote:
I prepare everything in advance and reheat it on the platta. It's not amazing but that's what I do.

Yes
I dont want to cook on yom tov

ra_mom  

Post Yesterday at 5:03 pm
I use the hot plate and it is amazing. I make my menu according to what tastes good rewarmed. We make lots of fresh colorful salads on Y"T.

seeker  

Post Yesterday at 8:25 pm
I make food in advance as much as possible and aim for things that taste good reheated. Meatballs freeze and reheat great - I make a sweet recipe so it's yomtov-dig. So do roasts and corned beef. Chicken on the bone I serve the first night so it's very fresh. If you want to serve chicken the second day, cook it only just enough at first - if I'm eating chicken right away I like to cook it long enough to get really soft but if you do that to reheat then it will get overdone. Salmon I'll serve the first day, then it's gefilte which is fine a day late, by the third day I don't think anyone feels like fish anymore anyway.

Layokee

Post Yesterday at 9:56 pm
Does anyone make fresh food on Yom tov?

ysydmom

Post Yesterday at 10:22 pm
I cook everything before and heat up as needed. I don't cook on yom tov as their is no time due to being in shul all day and at night the men come home around licht bentching time and it's very late. for night meals we do the simanim and fish and soup and then usually we are done with our meal. During the day I heat up a roast and some cutlets or deli roll while we are in shul. I make lot's of salads and that's all we need.

It doesn't make sense to cook on yom tov. The only thing I might make is more gefilta fish if we run out for Shabbos which I can make on Friday after the seudah.

ra_mom

Post Yesterday at 10:25 pm
Layokee wrote:

When I make fresh food on YT, I'm working too hard.

seeker  

Post Yesterday at 10:28 pm
Layokee wrote:

For me it depends on the time yom tov comes out and what else is going on in my life. If I can get it all together before, great. If I can't, also great. I try to roll with the punches. I prefer not to have the stove on but if I need to it's not the end of the world. I think being able to deal as needed is more important than having the Perfect (tm) system.

groisamomma

Post Yesterday at 10:35 pm
Layokee wrote:

Mashed potatoes and latkes are the only things I make fresh. Everything else can be done in advance and reheated in the oven on 195° while I’m in shul.

srbmom

Post Yesterday at 10:43 pm
I have never cooked on YT in my almost 20 years of marriage.
Everything gets made before and is rewarmed either in the oven left on 225 or the hot plate. I leave the hot plate on a timer and helps the kitchen not get as hot.

zaq

Post Yesterday at 10:59 pm
As my BFF says and I quote: "If I have to cook on a YT, it's not a YT." ITA.

LovesHashem

Post Yesterday at 11:06 pm
Have the hot plate on a timer. It's much less of a fire hazard and your kitchen won't be as hot.

seeker

Post Yesterday at 11:50 pm
zaq wrote:
As my BFF says and I quote: "If I have to cook on a YT, it's not a YT." ITA.

Personally, I think that's a bad attitude. I prefer to say "my yom tov is more relaxing if I don't need to cook." With your line, there's a whole pressure. And if something comes up and you need to cook more on yom tov, you'll feel all disappointed and cheated that your yom tov is "not a yom tov." Go with easy dishes and loosen up a little. I've never felt that my yom tov is "not a yom tov" if I had to throw some chicken and potatoes in a pan a couple of hours before a meal.

It's also "not a yom tov" if you go into the night meal an overtired frazzled mess because you pushed yourself to get everything done before yom tov because someone told you that having to cook on yom tov sucks.

It is what it is. If people made yom tov in DP camps, I can make yom tov with a stove on. If you're alive to say shehechiyanu, even more so if you're surrounded by family, and you have food that needs to be cooked on yom tov, IT'S A YOM TOV.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics