Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
My DS is going to make me lose it
Previous  1  2

amother
Canary  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 6:30 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
People like to fit in and follow their community norms no matter what age they are

Teens drive electronic bikes, men drive teslas

Not every man can afford a Tesla and that’s life.

amother
  Canary

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 6:31 am
Molly Weasley wrote:
Teenagers have a responsibility to listen to their mothers. If their chores include babysitting occasionally, then it is their responsibility to handle it.

The baby is the mother’s responsibility, not her teens.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 5:50 pm
What about making a payment plan to have him help pay for it? By the time he realizes it will take months to earn the $$ even WITH some help from you, he may lose interest so the safety factor isn't a concern anymore?

Honestly at that age, for a neurotypical child, if he'd proven good responsibility and safety (helmets, reflectors, etc) with a regular bike, and he paid for part, I'd seriously consider it. And I come from an unusual perspective..... MY very non-neurotypical 17 year old boy isn't even allowed to WALK the block by himself until he proves he can LOOK at driveways to see if cars are pulling out. Smile

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 6:47 pm
amother Canary wrote:

I don't recall op mentioning a,financial issues contrary she says she'd rather pay car service than let him ride evoke.

-most men get cars .Tesla or other.
-when kids have a need if it's very important to them they will look to fill it. Sometimes as parents it is important to "give in" to Something that we don't agree with or feel is safe or best for child.but when done on our terms it will be safer than if child does it on their own (borrowing a random scooter then you have no control of speed location helmet etc.or put having without your permission) if we really believe tgis,is so important to child and not just a passing fad, or they are getting their hands on one anyway. Then some times the pros outway the cons in having them purchase (with their own money) a device that meets all our parental requirements and is used with following our rules (controlled speed, specific location, helmet)

amother
  Moonstone

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 7:06 pm
amother Canary wrote:

Many people can’t afford the expensive simchas they make, supporting their children, etc. A lot of people even go into debt to pay for things because it’s considered a “standard” in the community

And this isn’t even a money issue

The point is the answer can’t just be “not everyone needs the same things” because at the end of the day this is literally all he sees in the adults and community around him, besides that it’s human nature

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:23 pm
Yes, it's true. He's the only one in his class who does not have one.

(Well he technically does, but more on that in a minute.)

We offered to help him change schools, where the ratio will be much lower, but he said no for the last two years. (I understand that as well.)

A regular bike is impossible for the Monsey hills and the distance between school and home for us.

Pedal assist, I looked into it, I think it was similar situation.

He's not actually missing out socially, so here we go.
For pesach bein hazmanim he complained so much about how I'm going to kill his social life, that we bought him one and he used it for 2.5 weeks. He went to one friend a day. Some days no place. And from that friend they MAYBE went to one other friend. He had made it sound like from davening till sundown, they are all flying around in groups and hanging out and lunch dates and blah blah.
Anyway, he knows that we will rather allow him to begin the license process as soon as possible. That means, permit at 16 and I think junior license at 16.5 complete with giving him a car.

I hear his issue, but as I'm reading what I just wrote, he is a spoiled brat. In my lifetime I would not dream of allowing my child to drive at that age. (and yet here I am, teaching him occasionally, he's decent by now).

Today he came home, I picked him up (because he didn't want car service) I made sure to have a ton of his favorite food (another issue if not) and then he starts complaining that, that means that it'll be a year before he gets a junior license (apparently you need 6 months from permit to junior license) and what's the point by then and blah blah. I had already gotten him the permit book. and done some paperwork to get stuff sorted for then etc.

Come on kid. You need to work with me here. I am so happy to have him. he's great. but he's also making me feel like I'm going to go nuts.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:03 pm
Some of it is the age. They will complain. My ds was almost 18 before he got more reasonable. Teenage angst.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 6:39 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Some of it is the age. They will complain. My ds was almost 18 before he got more reasonable. Teenage angst.

I like what you wrote, it gives me hope. I'm serious. I kept telling people like I just need to get through next few years intact and they all were you like, you wish.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 2:04 am
And... the fun continues. It's almost 5 am, and I've been up for last hour and half. Last night he went on and on and on about the fact that we don't allow him to have an ebike.

I still think they are super dangerous (I've heard so many first hand stories that do not make it to any news stuff).

I've been thinking too, if he cannot hear a no, how do you get through life? I mean gd says no all the time, and life is full of difficulties. I'd certainly hope he has a good life, but maybe at this point, it's not even about the bike anymore, learn some life skills about how life is going to be perfect, and sometimes you need to accept a no. Will you get every job you apply for? Will you get married at the age you want to? Have the number of kids/genders that you want?

I feel like I want to stand my ground on this one. But, I'm also worried about him. He doesn't seem to know how to handle his emotions, he's going crazy about this. I asked him if he'd like to see a therapist to discuss his feelings etc, and he flat out refused.

I pointed out to him that by focusing on this 24/7 he's causing harm to himself, and to please try to distract a little. Nothing doing.

He kept me up late last night with his hysteria about this, and now I woke up and cannot fall back asleep.

He's legit starting to sound insane. "So if someone is in a car service and they get into an accident, and they die" I said then they did their hishtadlus to stay safe and whatever happens is what gd wanted. "So then if they died anyway they may as well have had a bike like they wanted" Can't Believe It "I'm going to take your car" I said okay, and do what. "get out of here" I said okay, and go where? "away". "Fine I'm purposely going to borrow a friends one, and get into an accident and end up in the hospital". (He's really smart and used to be very calm, I promise)

Any advice?

He'll be 16 in a few months, and I told him that at 18, he's an adult and he can make choices then (whether they are smart or not) and to hold on a little longer if he thinks we are the worst

OddoneOut1  

Post Today at 2:39 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
People like to fit in and follow their community norms no matter what age they are

Teens drive electronic bikes, men drive teslas

It’s true that a lot of people just do like everyone else but I actually agree with Molly that you can teach your chicle a lesson about doing your own things, and it can be invaluable

OddoneOut1

Post Today at 2:41 am
amother OP wrote:
And... the fun continues. It's almost 5 am, and I've been up for last hour and half. Last night he went on and on and on about the fact that we don't allow him to have an ebike.

I still think they are super dangerous (I've heard so many first hand stories that do not make it to any news stuff).

I've been thinking too, if he cannot hear a no, how do you get through life? I mean gd says no all the time, and life is full of difficulties. I'd certainly hope he has a good life, but maybe at this point, it's not even about the bike anymore, learn some life skills about how life is going to be perfect, and sometimes you need to accept a no. Will you get every job you apply for? Will you get married at the age you want to? Have the number of kids/genders that you want?

I feel like I want to stand my ground on this one. But, I'm also worried about him. He doesn't seem to know how to handle his emotions, he's going crazy about this. I asked him if he'd like to see a therapist to discuss his feelings etc, and he flat out refused.

I pointed out to him that by focusing on this 24/7 he's causing harm to himself, and to please try to distract a little. Nothing doing.

He kept me up late last night with his hysteria about this, and now I woke up and cannot fall back asleep.

He's legit starting to sound insane. "So if someone is in a car service and they get into an accident, and they die" I said then they did their hishtadlus to stay safe and whatever happens is what gd wanted. "So then if they died anyway they may as well have had a bike like they wanted" Can't Believe It "I'm going to take your car" I said okay, and do what. "get out of here" I said okay, and go where? "away". "Fine I'm purposely going to borrow a friends one, and get into an accident and end up in the hospital". (He's really smart and used to be very calm, I promise)

Any advice?

He'll be 16 in a few months, and I told him that at 18, he's an adult and he can make choices then (whether they are smart or not) and to hold on a little longer if he thinks we are the worst

This sounds so challenging but you sound like a really good mother

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 2:46 am
Thank you, you really made me feel a little better. It's weighing so heavily on me.

imaima

Post Today at 3:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, you really made me feel a little better. It's weighing so heavily on me.

I would davka not buy it now

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 3:16 am
imaima wrote:
I would davka not buy it now

My husband is staying calm, but he's getting annoyed at him, and I told my son that if he keeps this up, then the driving option will go away until he's able to do it on his own at 18. He's refusing all logic right now.

I could (maybe if I'll be strong enough), to be kind to him (right now I'm really annoyed at him) and if he brings up the topic just walk away (I've told him before I will).
BUT, I'm worried about him and his not knowing how to blow off steam. He's going bonkers.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 3:20 am
I'm sad. I worked so hard at DBT and emotion regulation skills, but he's making it really really hard for me to stay calm. He's bringing up stuff from 3 years ago. Yelling that we don't let him do anything. I'm like give me an example. Smoke. Um, okay. you're not getting my approval for that. An MP4. I said look, I don't think that watching movies is good for you, do you feel like you really need to. He's like no I'm just trying to make a point.

I think the point you're making is that while you're very very smart, and mature, right now, due to being a teenager you're legit nutso, and making me nutso. Congratulations, you're doing a fine job.

amother
Starflower  

Post Today at 3:40 am
A few things:

1. Stop engaging. When he complains, what ifs, hmmm empathetically but don't get drawn in
2. on similar lines: stop taking responsibility for his happiness.
3. Check into his social life - I don't believe that the ebike is the reason why he is struggling socially but he clearly isn't happy
4. If he already has an ebike (you said you bought one) what's the whole story?

You are taking way too much responsibility for him. You don't need to make him happy. It's his choice whether to be happy or not. By allowing yourself to feel that this is your fault, you are projecting to him the feeling that his happiness is in your hands. Which it isn't.

He will never grow up until he stops blaming other people for his situation. He has to learn to accept the situation and move forward.

So instead of discussing, next time try saying to him "this is the way things are. The ball is in your court now, what are you going to do about it?"

He can choose to moon around the house kvetching. After a few hours, point out to him that in that time he could have xyz and he chose to sit and be miserable.

Eventually he'll get fed up and be proactive.
But you have to step out of the way first.

(Signed mother of 18 yr old who does NOT have an ebike and has thankfully come to accept that.)

amother
  Starflower

Post Today at 3:41 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm sad. I worked so hard at DBT and emotion regulation skills, but he's making it really really hard for me to stay calm. He's bringing up stuff from 3 years ago. Yelling that we don't let him do anything. I'm like give me an example. Smoke. Um, okay. you're not getting my approval for that. An MP4. I said look, I don't think that watching movies is good for you, do you feel like you really need to. He's like no I'm just trying to make a point.

I think the point you're making is that while you're very very smart, and mature, right now, due to being a teenager you're legit nutso, and making me nutso. Congratulations, you're doing a fine job.

No.
The point he is making is that you are not giving him space to make his own decisions.

Ok.
He may not be ready to make THOSE decisions.
But are you giving him space to make other decisions?

Ask him, are you demonstrating your ability to make adult decisions? Give me some examples?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Today at 3:47 am
How about speaking to a mentor or Rabbi about the whole thing? You are in a rough place IMHO.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children