Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Morah wants head checks
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 9:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hardly ever use checks, and I don’t want to waste the few that I do have at home. Also how can I be sure that her cleaning lady or someone might steal the checks? She wants me to leave them blank.
This is nornal? To ask for 10 blank checks?

That you hardly ever use checks isn't a valid argument. It's a legal way of payment.

amother
Dimgray  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 9:47 pm
I'm assuming blank check mean not made out to anything so she can give them to her kids school or pay the groceries with it without bothering to deposit and then taking out of her account.
It does not mean that the amount shouldn't be filled out! Fill out amount and sign you can put your child's name in memo so you know where check went!
(You can bring her money at the beginning of the month or deposit money in your account.) I've heard of people doing that.
She basically doesn't want to ask for money every month so she asked once at the beginning of the year!

Molly Weasley  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:17 pm
Echoing Dimgray,

Please confirm with your morah Dimgray's clarified clarification
I'm pretty sure that she's right.

amother
Maize

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:32 pm
I pay tuition & playgroup with headchecks only. There's nothing wrong with a morah requesting it. Blank checks most likely means checks not made out to anyone.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
I'm assuming blank check mean not made out to anything so she can give them to her kids school or pay the groceries with it without bothering to deposit and then taking out of her account.
It does not mean that the amount shouldn't be filled out! Fill out amount and sign you can put your child's name in memo so you know where check went!
(You can bring her money at the beginning of the month or deposit money in your account.) I've heard of people doing that.
She basically doesn't want to ask for money every month so she asked once at the beginning of the year!

This exactly

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 10:58 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:

This makes so much sense! Thank you for clarifying!! I’m ok with that then. It’s a waste of 10 good checks lol cuz I’m gonna bring cash. But I’m willing to waste those checks if that’s what the Morah does.

amother
Lightyellow  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:57 am
I was once an assistance by a playgroup where the parents paid in headchecks. My salary was comprised of IIRC 3 or 4 headchecks. The checks were made out to cash so it made no difference. There is no doubt in my mind that the morah used those checks to pay her tuition, cleaning lady, kids tutors etc.

amother
Lightcyan  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:35 am
What’s a head check? Like for lice?

Elfrida  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:39 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:

That what I thought when I saw the title. From the context of the thread, it seems to mean postdated cheques, given at the beginning of the school year

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:42 am
It's worth the minimal expense and inconvenience of giving her the 10 checks, to have a good relationship.

Alternatively, (and I'm aware it's not likely useful, but just in case), you could probably pay for the whole year upfront by cash or Zelle, if for some reason that's better for you than check writing.

You should all have a wonderful year with this morah!

amother
  Lightyellow  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:44 am
imasinger wrote:
It's worth the minimal expense and inconvenience of giving her the 10 checks, to have a good relationship.

Alternatively, (and I'm aware it's not likely useful, but just in case), you could probably pay for the whole year upfront by cash or Zelle, if for some reason that's better for you than check writing.

You should all have a wonderful year with this morah!

I think the Morahs like to do it specifically this way in order to avoid having the money go through their accounts at all.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:46 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:

I thought the same, seems it's an American term for postdated check LOL

amother
  Lightyellow

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 3:47 am
amother PlumPink wrote:

No clue why we call it that. Maybe because you give them a-"head" of time at the start ("head") of the year?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 4:36 am
As someone who has accepted post dated checks before, I have a safe with a combination for them. I don’t just leave them sitting around. That part you shouldn’t have to worry if it’s a responsible Morah

hello 1

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:08 am
What is wrong with giving head checks?
I’ve done it because I understand the morah of not wanting to chase after everyone the first of the month.

That being said - I wouldn’t leave it blank, I would fill each check out for the monthly tuition.

And then either she can deposit it or you can exchange it for cash if you prefer that

amother
  Lightcyan

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:33 am
amother PlumPink wrote:

Nope. I’m American. I’ve only ever heard of it being called post dated checks

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:37 am
My Cheder asks for credit card on file or head checks. I'm comfortable with that.
I would not be comfortable doing that for a Morah. I once had very bad experience in playgroup and had to pull out. I would not want her to have checks for the rest of the year.
This year the Morah took the last months tuition as a deposit. So if for some reason someone doesn't pay or pulls out she stays with that. I think that's reasonable.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:42 am
amother Apple wrote:
My Cheder asks for credit card on file or head checks. I'm comfortable with that.
I would not be comfortable doing that for a Morah. I once had very bad experience in playgroup and had to pull out. I would not want her to have checks for the rest of the year.
This year the Morah took the last months tuition as a deposit. So if for some reason someone doesn't pay or pulls out she stays with that. I think that's reasonable.

You can keep a cheshbon of the check numbers and make a stop on a check in such a case. It’s reasonable ask from the morah- she does not want to have to run after each parent for payment every month

Einikel  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 5:51 am
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the pay to part blank. I don't need my checks landing up by the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:37 am
Last time I checked you can get checks for free from the bank so I don’t get the hesitation to waste them. But everything else sounds weird to me about this
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics