Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Morah wants head checks
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:39 am
Einikel wrote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the pay to part blank. I don't need my checks landing up by the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...

Why do you care where your checks land up?
What do you think she does with the cash you give her? It goes to the same butcher baker and candlemaker...

lamplighter

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:41 am
I would not feel comfortable giving postdated checks that aren't fully filled out.

amother
Sage  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:45 am
amother Purple wrote:
What do you think she does with the cash you give her? It goes to the same butcher baker and candlemaker...

When I give cash, I ask for a receipt for the month. With headchecks, there is no monthly interactions. So having proof of payment becomes challenging if there is no reference on the check.

I would be amenable to making it payable to cash, if Morah is OK with me using the checks memo field to record the payment info.

amother
Silver  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:55 am
Einikel wrote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the pay to part blank. I don't need my checks landing up by the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...

Even if you put a name on the check they can still endorse it and give it whoever they want. It’s called a third party check.

amother
  Sage  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:57 am
amother Silver wrote:
Even if you put a name on the check they can still endorse it and give it whoever they want. It’s called a third party check.

It's becoming more difficult to do as banks are making it more challenging to deposit 3rd party checks.

Molly Weasley

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:57 am
amother Silver wrote:

Most banks don't allow third party checks anymore

Einikel  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:04 am
amother Purple wrote:

It's more a matter of tracking it.
Also I don't want them deposited at any random time. What if I just had a huge expense.

Checks are my least favorite payment method for that reason.

amother
  Silver

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:07 am
amother Sage wrote:
It's becoming more difficult to do as banks are making it more challenging to deposit 3rd party checks.

If you bring it to the bank and hand it to the teller yes but when you deposit from your phone or a remote deposit machine the banks don’t care.

Einikel

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:11 am
amother Silver wrote:
If you bring it to the bank and hand it to the teller yes but when you deposit from your phone or a remote deposit machine the banks don’t care.

I don't find it to be true.
I tried depositing a check with mine and my husband's name on it to an account That is only mine and it wouldn't go through.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:28 am
For all people saying to "just make sure to have money in the account" on the first of the month, did none of you ever experience not having enough money to cover your expenses? We do pay our tuition, but sometimes something has to wait a week or 2. I am not a magician, so I can't make sure the money that doesn't exist appears in our account to back the check.

amother
Puce  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:38 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
For all people saying to "just make sure to have money in the account" on the first of the month, did none of you ever experience not having enough money to cover your expenses? We do pay our tuition, but sometimes something has to wait a week or 2. I am not a magician, so I can't make sure the money that doesn't exist appears in our account to back the check.

Yes. I have had bad experiences with post dated checks.
Both my husband and I do not always get paid on time, and I have had way too many experiences of bounced checks, incurring extras fees which we could ill afford. Now, we mostly pay everything via zelle.

Is there a way to set up zelle payments to go automatically?

amother
  Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:41 am
amother Puce wrote:
Yes. I have had bad experiences with post dated checks.
Both my husband and I do not always get paid on time, and I have had way too many experiences of bounced checks, incurring extras fees which we could ill afford. Now, we mostly pay everything via zelle.

Is there a way to set up zelle payments to go automatically?

Do you pay Zelle on time? If you have the cash in your account to send the Zelle, or cash on hand to give it in person- why wouldn’t you have it for the check to not bounce?

amother
Bone  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:47 am
Just tell morah you'll give her cash monthly. She will most likely be okay with that

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:49 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Do you pay Zelle on time? If you have the cash in your account to send the Zelle, or cash on hand to give it in person- why wouldn’t you have it for the check to not bounce?

Because the person you give the check to can deposit it whenever they want. Zelle would be a specific day so it’s easier to make sure there is money in the account

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:51 am
amother Moonstone wrote:

I know lol!! I keep thinking “rich privilege” or at least their not living paycheck to pay check like I am! May they always be so gebenched Smile

amother
  Bone

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 10:57 am
Yes you can set up zelle to be recurring.

But zelle reports money deposited, so I assume she won't agree.

amother
  Puce  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:01 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:

No I don't. I have an understanding with the school that the payments will not always be on time. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it's a few days late.
Like the other poster said, I'm not a magician. I can't produce money where there isn't.
I also understnd that the morah needs to pay her bills so she can't have all of her parents doing this. But she can be flexible with the one or two parents who are in this position.
I wish I can always be on time, but the reality is that giving head checks resulted in way more aggravation all around. So we have found this to be the best solution.
If you don't live paycheck to paycheck, you cannot possibly undertsand this.

amother
  Dimgray

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:04 am
amother Moonstone wrote:

I'm a morah, although I don't ask for postdated checks I do ask of parents to let me know and discuss it with me if they are unable to pay at the beginning of the month.
By giving postdated checks it assures that you will communicate with the morah in the event that you are unable to pay on the first of the month.
Morah sometimes also live paycheck to paycheck and need to know that they will be paid on time!
(schools usually have more leeway because they are dealing with much bigger numbers)

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:34 am
I thought this was referring to lice.

amother
  Mustard  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:02 pm
amother Purple wrote:
I don’t allow it anymore. I’ve experienced the Morah insisting that she never received the check when I knew I’d sent it. Then I sent another one only for both of them to end up being cashed by her child’s school. Sure, she credited me for the money, but that’s not something I can afford.

If the Morah doesn’t want checks made out to her then she needs to accept cash. She can’t have it both ways.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics