Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I feel like a neglectful mom

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:41 pm
To clarify, my children have their needs met. I won’t be arrested for child neglect or anything like that. But right now my autistic toddler has been watching cocomelon for the past hour and I just can’t. There’s too much going on in my life. He’s happy watching but he watches way too much. I can’t deal with all that God has thrown at me. I’m not managing. One thing after another. Help!

Cookin4days

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:44 pm
As long as they’re safe you’re fine

OddoneOut1

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:47 pm
is it better to have less screen time than more- yes according to studies.
If mom is able to be calmer because her child is absorbed in something else, is that better than if she is tired/stressed/irritable- YES
in this moment it is OKAY.
When you have the bandwidth, you can try to entertain him in other ways but he is doing fine Smile

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:48 pm
Heart keeping it all together really requires super powers. Having a child with any disability requires supernatural super duper powers.
Give yourself a hug, serve frozen pizza for supper and take it one step at a time.
Your kids know you love them and they will be alright Heart

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:49 pm
Hugs from a fellow sn mom. It’s hard!

Your children are safe, fed, and happy? Wonderful!
And you’re doing what you need to manage- even if it’s screen time? Also wonderful.
You have a goal to engage your child without a screen when you are capable of it? Superwoman!!!

Get rid of the guilt!

I hope things get much easier for you.

amother
Hunter

This is what screen time is made for - when life throws too much at you. No need for guilt!

amother
  OP  

I’m just not managing. With my other kids I was able to put up boundaries with screen time, but he has no understanding and I can’t deal with his reactions and meltdowns so I just let him watch.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:50 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Heart keeping it all together really requires super powers. Having a child with any disability requires supernatural super duper powers.
Give yourself a hug, serve frozen pizza for supper and take it one step at a time.
Your kids know you love them and they will be alright Heart

Seriously! I feel like I need super duper powers with this one. How does any special needs mom manage?? I feel like I’m literally the worst mom.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:53 pm
Autistic kids require completely different parenting. Many need watching to stay calm and that’s ok. Don’t be so hard on yourself you are doing what’s best for everyone in this situation.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Seriously! I feel like I need super duper powers with this one. How does any special needs mom manage?? I feel like I’m literally the worst mom.

Plenty of parents who don't have special needs children let their kids watch a ton because that's what they need to get by. I'm sure with a child with SN it's even harder.
I B"H have not yet needed to resort to screen time with my kids, but I try to really have no judgement for those who do. Not all families are created equal.
If you can get a little outdoor time or activity time in as well, that would be wonderful. But be kind to yourself.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 5:15 pm
Do what you need to do. You may feel less guilty if you switch to more “educational “ videos like Daniel Tiger and miss rachel (and they’re less annoying for you to listen to)

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 6:00 pm
Cocomelon and Blippi saved my life when my autistic son was a toddler
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics