Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Omnicef never worked for ear infection, can it work for sinu

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 3:12 pm
My 2 yo is allergic to penicillins and bactrim so every time she had ear infection they tried omnicef. Each time saying this time it’ll work. It never did, and she’s had ear infections plenty of times to try it!
Now she has a sinus infection and because she’s allergic to penicillin they gave omnicef. Even if never worked for one thing, now that it’s targeting something else, can it work? Or is it like if it never worked for her it won’t work now?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 4:39 pm
No antibiotics will treat an ear infection because it’s usually a viral infection and antibiotics will only cure a bacterial infection.

All the pediatricians with updated knowledge no longer prescribe antibiotics for ear infections. It clears the same with antibiotics and without.

There’s lots of literature online regarding this subject

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 4:58 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
No antibiotics will treat an ear infection because it’s usually a viral infection and antibiotics will only cure a bacterial infection.

All the pediatricians with updated knowledge no longer prescribe antibiotics for ear infections. It clears the same with antibiotics and without.

There’s lots of literature online regarding this subject

My pediatrician gives antibiotics if the ear infection is lingering for awhile, as then it probably is bacterial. Trust me, I’m a pro on ear infections with this 2 yo. None of my other kids had such bad infections. Augmentin worked for her once, then the next time she broke out from it really bad so they don’t want to give her any penicillins again. Bactrim also. The time we tried it, she had one ear infection for almost a month. Because it lingered awhile, not going away, so they said ok it’s probably bacterial, here’s omnicef. It wasn’t working and I should’ve gone back after 3 days but I went back after 7 days or so, and it looked worse than when she started omnicef, so they then gave bactrim. Suddenly after 2 days of bactrim she was better! It was definitely not coincidental; it lingered far too long to say it was viral and just cleared up. But then she had a terrible breakout from bactrim too, so she basically was left with ear infection after ear infection because each time they wanted to try omnicef it didn’t work. It lingered on and on until she got tubes. So with her it wasn’t viral. Unless you tell me the viral ear infections don’t heal
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics