Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Meds dont seem to work

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:12 pm
My 10 year old DD, we have been through probably most stimulant/s non stimulants/anti axiety meds- some have worked for a few days before side effects came out and some would work wonders for 6-9 months at a time and then stopped working or side effects such as ocd gets worse. When it works I am all for medication, but at this point I'd love to hear if anyone has had positive results with alternative meds. my daughter is severely ADHD so I don't think a diet change would make much of a difference. PLEASE HELP

oneofakind

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:25 pm
Have you gone to a private pay children's psychiatrist ? Have you done therapy and/ or parenting and/ or behavior training? Is there another factor that complicated things like marital issues, illness in the family, bullying?

amother
Salmon  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:27 pm
Read the book finally focused, it goes through all the alternatives.
Personally we've found homeopathy to be incredibly helpful as well.

Bioray calm and focus are also great

Don't underestimate the power of diet changes. They are incredibly difficult to implement but the changes can be really drastic, though I admit that often diet change alone isn't enough

Did you ever try motrin and benadryl to see if brain inflammation is a factor? Kids with brain inflammation as a driving force behind their symptoms often don't respond to adhd medication as it's targeting the wrong pathways.

Yeast overgrowth and parasites can also cause adhd symptoms.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:34 pm
The Genesight test can't tell you what will WORK, but it will tell you what will metabolize for your child most easily. My twins both have autism and adhd but they need different meds. Adderall is AWESOME for my daughter but my son is considered ALLERGIC to it, for example. On Adderall, he couldn't sleep and it was a nightmare. It's a simple cheek swab.

amother
Moccasin  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:36 pm
Abilify which is an atypical antipsychotic in a subclinical dose is working wonders in helping my child regulate

Fabulous

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:51 pm
Please look into L-methylfolate with any meds to help absorption

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:53 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Please look into L-methylfolate with any meds to help absorption

what is that?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:54 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
The Genesight test can't tell you what will WORK, but it will tell you what will metabolize for your child most easily. My twins both have autism and adhd but they need different meds. Adderall is AWESOME for my daughter but my son is considered ALLERGIC to it, for example. On Adderall, he couldn't sleep and it was a nightmare. It's a simple cheek swab.

never heard of this test? Where can I get more info?

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 9:55 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
Read the book finally focused, it goes through all the alternatives.
Personally we've found homeopathy to be incredibly helpful as well.

Bioray calm and focus are also great

Don't underestimate the power of diet changes. They are incredibly difficult to implement but the changes can be really drastic, though I admit that often diet change alone isn't enough

Did you ever try motrin and benadryl to see if brain inflammation is a factor? Kids with brain inflammation as a driving force behind their symptoms often don't respond to adhd medication as it's targeting the wrong pathways.

Yeast overgrowth and parasites can also cause adhd symptoms.

to be honest, my dd has been difficulty since the moment she was born- this is nothing new-

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:15 pm
If the ADHD is severe, and she's not responding well to stimulants, we're looking to all the alternatives causes. Diet is a big one. Brain inflammation. Trauma. All three can mimic severe ADHD but won't respond to typical stimulants at healthy doses.

amother
  Moccasin

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 10:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
never heard of this test? Where can I get more info?

My psychiatrist ordered it before adjusting meds that were initiated by a different provider. It's their routine before starting meds now

amother
  Salmon

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 10:06 am
amother OP wrote:
to be honest, my dd has been difficulty since the moment she was born- this is nothing new-
These things can work even if the symptoms aren't new

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 10:11 am
What we do is use a med that works for 6 months and then stops working. We use it for 6 months, take 3 weeks off and then go back on. It seems to do the trick. If you've found something that works but then stops working, maybe take a break and then go back to it.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 10:27 am
Is it possible she has ASD and ADHD? Those are the tougher cases to treat.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 11:01 am
Did you try abilify? We had horrible experiences with clonidine and Ritalin but abilify seems to be helping.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 1:37 pm
I'm dealing with this with my daughter (8). Nothing works for her without crazy side effects.
My insurance won't cover the genetic test and it seems pointless anyway because we have exhausted all the options.
I wish with all my heart that we could find a medication that worked for her.
She has ASD and ADHD. Medications made her anxious and OCD including the non stimulants. She is ok on the tiniest dose but they don't help on that dose, so what's the point. Any stimulant at all affects her sleep even the tiny dose that is lower than starting dose. Now even off the stimulants she is struggling with sleep.
Diet did not help.
At this point I am working with her limitations, I cannot torture her this way anymore.
I so badly wish she could be helped via medication. If I got a dollar for every person who said to me "have you tried medication, it could change her life", I would be a rich woman.
The whole thing breaks my heart.
I want to help her but I am completely out of options.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)