Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Do you think this is an appropriate gift?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:45 am
My son is diabetic and has an aide in cheder. The aide's job is to check his sugar twice a day and to be on hand in case of emergency. Most of the day he's in the teacher's room and the rebbe knows to call him if anything goes wrong. (This was our preference since I don't want him to stand out by having someone on top of him all the time.)

During the time he's in the teacher's room, he runs a business. We've never discussed it at all, but I see his blog posts on his website and I can see the times they go up. I can tell he's online for hours on end taking care of business-related things. I am perfectly fine with that since it's not at my son's expense and he does his job with my son impeccably. He's extremely dedicated to him and very responsible. He really has nothing to do most of the time so it makes sense for him to be running his business then.

I don't know if he knows that I know about his business as it's never been relevant. It's never been discussed between us.

For his end-of-year gift, I was thinking of getting him a very nice wooden flash drive in a case with his business logo engraved on both the drive and the case. Considering everything I wrote above, do you think this is an appropriate gift?

imaima

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:49 am
amother OP wrote:
My son is diabetic and has an aide in cheder. The aide's job is to check his sugar twice a day and to be on hand in case of emergency. Most of the day he's in the teacher's room and the rebbe knows to call him if anything goes wrong. (This was our preference since I don't want him to stand out by having someone on top of him all the time.)

During the time he's in the teacher's room, he runs a business. We've never discussed it at all, but I see his blog posts on his website and I can see the times they go up. I can tell he's online for hours on end taking care of business-related things. I am perfectly fine with that since it's not at my son's expense and he does his job with my son impeccably. He's extremely dedicated to him and very responsible. He really has nothing to do most of the time so it makes sense for him to be running his business then.

I don't know if he knows that I know about his business as it's never been relevant. It's never been discussed between us.

For his end-of-year gift, I was thinking of getting him a very nice wooden flash drive in a case with his business logo engraved on both the drive and the case. Considering everything I wrote above, do you think this is an appropriate gift?

1. Blog posts can be timed to go up automatically.
2. I think noone wants their own merchandise as a gift.
Makes no sense to me.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 3:00 am
If he doesn’t know that you know about it then no, I think that will make him uncomfortable..

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 7:29 am
Appropriate or not, it sounds like an oddly specific choice for a thank you gift. Something generic would present better.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 7:33 am
Odd gift

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 7:34 am
I live in Israel where norms may be different. I think its such a nice and thoughtful idea! Not sure what a flash drive is but to get something with his logo is really nice.

cupcake123

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:09 am
I think it's a cute and thoughtful gift.
I think people are thinking you're buying the gift from his aides business...

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:12 am
Could be it’s a cute gift. But if in doubt, don’t. A gift is supposed to bring good feelings.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 11:46 am
Thanks, going to go with something else!

(Just FTR, this is not his merchandise, it's something I was going to have custom made for him with his logo. Also, I've already given him many gifts throughout the year which is why I was looking for something a bit more original and not just the standard. In any case, going to try to think of something else unrelated to his business.)

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 11:59 am
That’s such a great setup with the aide! I love that you have him there when you need him but he gets to do his own work when he’s not on duty with your child. You’re very lucky to have someone like this. Many t1d parents have to drop everything and run to school a few times a day/week.

Nice thought about the gift, but I would get something generic, like an Amazon gift card with a nice thank you card,.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:16 pm
amother Holly wrote:
That’s such a great setup with the aide! I love that you have him there when you need him but he gets to do his own work when he’s not on duty with your child. You’re very lucky to have someone like this. Many t1d parents have to drop everything and run to school a few times a day/week.

Nice thought about the gift, but I would get something generic, like an Amazon gift card with a nice thank you card,.

I've already given him gifts cards, chocolates, wine, towels, etc. That's why I was looking for something a little different this time.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think it’s a little interesting to give him something with his own logo on it.
I am a photographer and I give out a beautiful wooden flash drive and case with my logo engraved on it to all of my clients with their photos. To me, it’s not a “gift” it’s a cheap commodity that is just part of business.
Also, even though I do use usbs so that my clients get something physical, they are really considered old tech. We have the cloud and Dropbox these days. I highly doubt he would use a usb in his business, and I also doubt he would care for one with his logo. And if he did, he could spend a couple dollars and do it himself.
I would appreciate something not related to my business as a gift. Just my two cents

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:55 pm
I doubt a cutting edge business would still be using a flashdrive, so I'd choose something else to give.
Tbh, probably what he could most use is cash...if he's working as a student assistant while trying to get another business off the ground, he probably needs money more than anything else, so I'd do cash or a gift card.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:03 pm
Instead of spending the money on something can you just give him cash?

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:27 pm
How much do you want to spend?
I think flash drives are outdated. I run a business and haven't touched one in about a year..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 2:32 pm
Got it, no flash drive! No further replies needed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics