Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Looking for a gift idea for a teacher

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:44 am
I'm looking for an idea for a gift to give a teacher. She's a preschool teacher in a special ed program who went above and beyond as a teacher and now is going above and beyond to help us find an appropriate first-grade placement for our son. Literally making phone calls on our behalf and she even came with us to visit one school.

I don't want to give cash/gift card because it seems stupid, I already participated in a group gift. For some of the other staff people I just wrote a note tied to a bar of chocolate (basically I wanted to verbalize my thanks individually in addition to the group gift, so I did it in that format), and I could do that for her too, but I feel like something one notch up would be nice...

Any ideas?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:01 am
I’m a teacher, and while I love the cash/ gift card gifts, and I prefer them 90% of the time, there is something about a custom gift from a family you had a real relationship with . There are a lot of options on Pinterest if you have the time to make it. I’ve gotten pencil cups with meaningful quotes , a custom coffee cup (a good lidded one), once a student made me an embroidered pillow with all our class quotes on the back, a good metal water bottle.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:20 am
I should add… we’re in israel!!! and I don’t know if I she drinks coffee or water or anything.

I have someone visiting from america soon so possibly I could get her something from etsy, though. without having much of an idea of what she actually would use, though, what would be a good bet?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:27 am
A nice necklace ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:14 am
I cannot imagine buying someone a necklace that they actually like and want to wear, without knowing them very well?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:15 am
I would like to get her a plant/flowers, but I will need it to give it to my son to give to someone else to give to her... it might take a day or two or even longer till it makes its way to her... and it isn't practical. but I would love to give something like that.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:20 am
A beautiful handwritten card and cash.
Speaking as a teacher. I really dont get paid enough, and whatever I do get paid I use for bills, food, groceries. I love when I get tipped cash and I save it and can pamper myself with something. I just bought myself a necklace ive been eyeing with tips I received.
I love my students and care about them, but when I get gifted mugs or cups or plants its just a waste of money to me

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:36 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
A beautiful handwritten card and cash.
Speaking as a teacher. I really dont get paid enough, and whatever I do get paid I use for bills, food, groceries. I love when I get tipped cash and I save it and can pamper myself with something. I just bought myself a necklace ive been eyeing with tips I received.
I love my students and care about them, but when I get gifted mugs or cups or plants its just a waste of money to me

We are all different. I have a mug I got from a child years ago that is my favorite mug. It's a little bigger than average and is the perfect size. I think when you want to show appreciation, a personal touch is nicer than just some cash. SEN is different to teaching a regular class, you are putting your heart and soul into this one child, rather than across a class of many students.
Please don't though do something with your child's picture as I never know what to do with those. I can't really take it home.
Ideally you need to know the teacher. Some teachers would appreciate a pamper kind of gift, while others wouldn't.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:54 pm
Don’t know your budget or if this is your speed but I just made someone a gift from a few things at a nice stock store.
Pretty basket, small hand towels, clear acrylic netilas yadayim cup with a gold handle, wrapped up in a pretty way. Cost me about 70 shekel total.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 4:24 pm
What shop was this from?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 4:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I would like to get her a plant/flowers, but I will need it to give it to my son to give to someone else to give to her... it might take a day or two or even longer till it makes its way to her... and it isn't practical. but I would love to give something like that.

My second grade student brought me a plant in ceramic holder.
I love it. Such a great idea
Every time I water it, I think of him! It makes for great display piece too.

I would have never thought of that as a gift and I love it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics