Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
A child brought a knife to school

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:26 pm
Is it a red flag that a 13 year old child brought a knife (not sharp) to school?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:27 pm
Yes. Big red flag.
Is the child being bullied? Maybe they thought to bring a knife to defend themselves?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:27 pm
Was it to cut an apple? Or did they just want a knife on them? I’d make sure they aren’t being bullied or s-xually abused. Sounds like they feel the need to have protection.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:35 pm
It can be a red flag.
Or not.
Depends on the kid.
Depends on the type of knife.

Is it a cool utility/camping knife he just got as a gift and he wanted to show his friends?
Is it a kitchen knife?

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:35 pm
This age are very into knives and other weapons. I wouldn't say it's a red flag since I know my son's classmates would bring knives to show off and play with. I never allowed my son to but apparently I'm overly strict.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
This age are very into knives and other weapons. I wouldn't say it's a red flag since I know my son's classmates would bring knives to show off and play with. I never allowed my son to but apparently I'm overly strict.

Exactly this. 13 year old boys have a thing with pocket knives. No clue why but it's a thing. I never let and I'm "the worst mom".

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:37 pm
A pocket knife or kitchen knife?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:40 pm
Definitely shouldn't be allowed in school but my son collected knives at that age and he wouldn't hurt a soul. He would freak out if I used a paring knife in my hands without a cutting board. He just thought they were cool how different they could be and how much they could accomplish (whittling wood, cutting boxes, gutting fish)...

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 3:13 pm
Op, please give more details first.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 3:23 pm
Did she bring it for a class party to cut a vegetable salad?

To show off?

To threaten someone?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 3:24 pm
I wouldnt be alarmed if its a typical "cool" knife, pocket knife, army knife etc that he was showing off to friends. Shouldnt be brought to school obviously, but not a red flag.

A random steak knife, clandestinely tucked away in his bag, not showing it to other kids, but just found on him? Yeah thats a red flag

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 3:25 pm
What's a not-sharp knife?

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 3:48 pm
Definitely needs more info. I’m a teacher and one of the presentations we do sometimes involves cutting fruits and veggies so the kids bring in the tools to safely do that.

Busybee5

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 3:53 pm
My son has a trick 'knife' that looks legit, but it's made out of plastic, and the blade goes inside the handle. Maybe it was this? Maybe it was my son? Although I don't think he took it to school, and he's older than 13. Lol..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 12:07 pm
To answer some questions the child's parents are divorced and yes the child gets bullied on a fairly regular basis by his siblings (he doesn't really get bullied in the school he attends) because although he functions in a normal way and is an adorable child he has special needs.

He found the knife in a room at home. It is not a kitchen knife. He did take the knife out in school and showed it to one of the kids in his class.

The next part of this sad story is that after the school told the father of this child about the knife, the father spoke to his child and told him off and he told the child that he has to write a letter of apology to the school and HE HAS TO WRITE A LETTER OF APOLOGY TO HIS FATHER AS WELL. He also said that when he sees his child he is going to give him a punishment. The poor child has to wait till the end of the week for his punishment.

So the home circumstances are traumatic but yet the terrible dad is the boy's father.

I am not in a position that I can call any official body to involve them. I am one of the grandparents and I am so so sad for this poor poor child.

Busybee5

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
To answer some questions the child's parents are divorced and yes the child gets bullied on a fairly regular basis by his siblings (he doesn't really get bullied in the school he attends) because although he functions in a normal way and is an adorable child he has special needs.

He found the knife in a room at home. It is not a kitchen knife. He did take the knife out in school and showed it to one of the kids in his class.

The next part of this sad story is that after the school told the father of this child about the knife, the father spoke to his child and told him off and he told the child that he has to write a letter of apology to the school and HE HAS TO WRITE A LETTER OF APOLOGY TO HIS FATHER AS WELL. He also said that when he sees his child he is going to give him a punishment. The poor child has to wait till the end of the week for his punishment.

So the home circumstances are traumatic but yet the terrible dad is the boy's father.

I am not in a position that I can call any official body to involve them. I am one of the grandparents and I am so so sad for this poor poor child.

Oy I'm so sorry, that sounds so difficult for you, and your grandson. I hope things get resolved as quickly and easily as possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children