Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Parenting my neurodivergent child

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 12:57 am
I'm looking for a parenting book to help guide me.
My son is already 21. He had had some therapy but has refused to go for the last year or so.
He has ADHD and what they call a social disorder (which I understand to be like aspergers.) He has always been in a mainstream yeshiva.

A friend of mine has recommended Shimon Russel's book, as well as Unripe Angels. From reading the description, those seem to be about rebellious children. My son is not rebellious, but he can be very abrasive when he is triggered.
He lives in his own world, follows his own schedule and cannot see past his own needs. I have been getting into altercations with him too often when he comes home. He is not home often at all, but, when he does come home, I would love to make those times pleasant.

I worry about his future. I worry if he will ever marry and I worry what will happen to the women who does marry him.

Has anyone read any of those books I mentioned, and can tell me if it addresses kids like this? Or is there another recommendation?
Tia

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:51 am
Highly reccomend! It's amazing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1032.....bf6fe

mummy85

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:08 am
amother Wandflower wrote:

I've heard good things about this.
Also Uniquely human by Dr Barry Prizant is fantastic. I'm working my way through it and really liking it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:25 am

Thanks!
From the description it looks like it helps you diagnose whether or not it's autism. We already got the diagnosis years ago. I'm looking for an approach, or tips, on how to parent him. How to not lose it when he does his thing, and how to help him become the best version of himself.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:44 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
From the description it looks like it helps you diagnose whether or not it's autism. We already got the diagnosis years ago. I'm looking for an approach, or tips, on how to parent him. How to not lose it when he dies his thing, and how to help him become the best version of himself.

No it's not about getting the diagnosis but understanding it fully and being able to help him. I own it and I also asked a professionally autism coach what books she'd reccomend based in your OP and she said this one.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 8:40 am
No it's not about getting the diagnosis but understanding it fully and being able to help him. I own it and I also asked a professionally autism coach what books she'd reccomend based in your OP and she said this one.

Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics