Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
My child drowned and now hes traumatized...
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:45 pm
My 4 year old drowned in a pool last year. I pulled him out scared but BH otherwise ok.
I thought he'd get over it since it was over so fast but he still talks about it and hes scared to go into any pool. Any ideas how to get him past what happened?

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:47 pm
Your child didn’t drown . Please don’t ever say that again . Please speak to a therapist for ideas on how to help your child with this traumatic experience.

behappy2

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:49 pm
He almost drowned.

I would get in touch with a child therapist. You can also try acclimating him slowly with confidence and patience.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:50 pm
My cousin drowned and is now a vegetable in a hospital on life support.

Your child did not drown. He almost drowned. I would get him therapy.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:52 pm
Whats considered drowning if he was stuck under something in the water, couldnt get himself out and he swallowed a whole lot of water?

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:55 pm
Water getting into his lungs and causing lasting damage

#BestBubby

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:55 pm
Drowned = dead

I was traumatized by reading

My child drowned 😢

Please change to "my child fell in the water"

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:59 pm
She’s using it correctly back off the op. “Drowning is not always fatal. Fatal drowning happens when the drowning results in death. Nonfatal drowning happens when a person survives a drowning incident. Nonfatal drowning has a range of outcomes or results, from no injuries to very serious injuries such as brain damage or permanent disability.”

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:00 pm
There are swim places that work with trauma and fears to help get the person back in the water. Where do you live? Maybe someone can recommend one.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:01 pm
OP your child experienced a trauma and must have felt helpless. That split second may seem like nothing to you but in his mind, he is never going to allow himself to be in that situation again. Refusing to go into the water is just self-preservation.
If you havent seen a therapist (which we highly recommend) try a swimming instructor who specializes in post trauma like this.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:02 pm
Sorry for everyone triggered but as a previous poster wrote, she is using it 100% correctly.

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:03 pm
I would tell him the best way to prevent something like that from happening again is by learning how to swim and sign him up for lessons asap. I have dealt with many kids with trauma around water and the longer you wait the harder it gets to teach them.

amother
Arcticblue

amother Chestnut wrote:
She’s using it correctly back off the op. “Drowning is not always fatal. Fatal drowning happens when the drowning results in death. Nonfatal drowning happens when a person survives a drowning incident. Nonfatal drowning has a range of outcomes or results, from no injuries to very serious injuries such as brain damage or permanent disability.”

I dont think most of us are having grammatical or vocabulary issues with the OP. I think we are objecting to the clickbait title and the obvious dramatizing of a situation where BH her child walked away fine. I mean, my two year old jumped into a pool and got submerged. I fished him out sputtering and crying and he swallowed some water. I would never describe it as drowned especially with a cousin on a ventilator. I just thank Hashem for protecting my baby and that I was there to pull him out.

amother
Mustard

Drowned means died from being under water, r”l.

Your son almost drowned but b”H did not. There are swimming teachers specifically trained in working with people who’ve had traumatic underwater experiences.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:04 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
I dont think most of us are having grammatical or vocabulary issues with the OP. I think we are objecting to the clickbait title and the obvious dramatizing of a situation where BH her child walked away fine. I mean, my two year old jumped into a pool and got submerged. I fished him out sputtering and crying and he swallowed some water. I would never describe it as drowned especially with a cousin on a ventilator. I just thank Hashem for protecting my baby and that I was there to pull him out.

That’s a really nasty accusation of the op. Your kid had a non fatal drowning too. The incident is called drowning. Everyone needs to stop being dramatic about it.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:04 pm
amother Mustard wrote:

Your son almost drowned but b”H did not. There are swimming teachers specifically trained in working with people who’ve had traumatic underwater experiences.

No it literally doesn’t mean that. Someone can drown without dying.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:05 pm
amother Mustard wrote:

You can read the definition I posted. Her son drowned. It was a non fatal drowning. It’s still a drowning incident.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:21 pm
Excuse all you ignorant people but yes op's son DID drown, luckily he was saved from death.
There are different levels of drowning, at first the child will start flapping and then giving up and going under and swallowing lots of water and if not saved can cv cause death. My son went through the same and was traumatized for years. If you are in the Lakewood area I can refer you to someone to get him back in the water safely. He may need some type of play therapy as well

amother
Almond

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:24 pm
EMDR therapy

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 11:25 pm
Gosh how do so many people not know basic English and then get mad at op for correctly using a basic word. Thank you op for the vocabulary lesson since it was obviously needed here.

I would encourage you to look for a private swim teacher who specializes in anxious kids. She can help him figure out how to regain his comfort in the water.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics