Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Ds 6 home sick and school isn't reaching out

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:23 pm
ds 6 is home sick for 3 days already and no one has reached out. He likely won't go back to school so quickly and has been through a lot this week. He keeps asking if his rebbi called and he's disappointed that nobody cares. I will reach out to the school myself once we're a little more clear on a treatment plan and we have a better picture of how long he'll be homebound. But is it wrong if I'm disappointed that the school didn't reach out?

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:28 pm
It depends . This time of year a lot of people go away and they may assume you are on a trip or something and took your kid out for that .

Every school has different protocol. I have schools that expect us to call them even if a child will be absent one day . Other schools call me within the hour of the kid not showing up . Other schools simply don’t call at all and it depends then on the teacher or rebbe.
Refuah Shelaimah to your DS

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:28 pm
Yes. Call the teacher and tell them. Better than being resentful.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:29 pm
DH is a rebbi and similar happen this year with one of his student. Student was out for close to a week, and for some reason a few classmates were saying he was away. When that’s the case, dh doesn’t usually reach out. After 4 days or so the mom emailed saying how sad her son was that no one called! DH felt terrible and called the student both alone and with his class.

Point being, it could be that the school is under the impression he is out for a different reason. But definitely reach out to the teachers and say you ur child is home sick and would love a call.

Refuah sheleima!!

BusyBoys

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:30 pm
I don’t know where you live, but here in the US it’s the last week of school before yeshiva camp.
Rebbeim are overwhelmed so it’s possible that the phone calls they would make are falling through the cracks.

Can you call him and ask him to call your son?

Can you reach out to make a game plan if he’ll be out for a while? In terms of sending home sheets, reviews etc..

Hatzlacha and hope it all turns around very quickly for you!!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:31 pm
That’s disappointing. I’d call the school now and say he needs phone calls. He doesn’t have to know you called.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:34 pm
His twin brother is in the parallel class and isn't absent, so they know we're not away. I guess I'll just call or text the rebbi myself.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:35 pm
I’d call the school as soon as he asked if his rebbi had called. The rebbi should have called but obviously something went wrong. Like everyone said this is a really hard time of year.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:49 pm
My son was home with the flu for a full week in the winter, and he still remembers that his rebbi/class didn't call. I was very disappointed as well because my son tells me when the class calls other boys.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 1:59 pm
Teachers aren’t mind readers. This last week of school is especially hectic. I would advise calling the rebbi and telling him your kid is sick.
Anyways, anytime your kid is going to be out for more than a couple days it pretty standard to let someone from the school know the reason.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:06 pm
My son had his appendix taken out recently and was home, sick from Wednesday, sunday and no one reached out from the school.
Sun night I text his english teacher to have the boys make cards for my son and he then told the rebbi and he called mon morn..

I dont understand a teacher/rebbe that doesnt call after 2 days out.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 3:56 pm
What is the norm for your school?

At our school, we are expected to call in before school starts if someone is going to be home sick. No one from school has ever made contact. They probably would only if we hadn't advised them of the absence and the child didn't turn up for school.

A few weeks ago, a Rav spoke to my son's class and told them it is nice to check up on people if they're off sick and gave out a list of phone numbers. One boy had been off sick that day and his mother was surprised and probably not thrilled at the number of calls he received that afternoon! LOL

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 4:20 pm
amother Amber wrote:
What is the norm for your school?

At our school, we are expected to call in before school starts if someone is going to be home sick. No one from school has ever made contact. They probably would only if we hadn't advised them of the absence and the child didn't turn up for school.

A few weeks ago, a Rav spoke to my son's class and told them it is nice to check up on people if they're off sick and gave out a list of phone numbers. One boy had been off sick that day and his mother was surprised and probably not thrilled at the number of calls he received that afternoon! LOL
In my sons school the primary rebbeim send home a note any time someone is absent 2 days in a row. (If they’re sick) it’s supposed to teach the boys bikur cholim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children