Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I work at night too??
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:02 am
I got a phone call from a school asking if I am interested in working for them in the evenings on a job that I have many years experience with from my regular daytime job.
It would probably be approximately an hour a night but flexible.
They are offering to pay $15,000 for the year.
I am not desperate for the money, but it would be nice to earn $ to save for a house one day...
My question is , is the pay worthwhile for the job? It would mean that I won't be able to relax as much once my kids are in bed and will need to work instead...

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:04 am
I did the math and if I’m right, that comes out to $78 an hour. I would do it! My kid is usually in bed by 7 though. What time do your kids go to sleep usually and what time do you go to sleep? If you work for an hour, how much free time will you still have?

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:05 am
Depends! I’m at a stage where I waste too much time at night so I might enjoy being paid to be productive.

But if it would stress me out or cause me to be short tempered with the kids, not worth it.

nolacola

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:12 am
How many hours a week? And do you have to be available to work a little every night?
If it's 4 hours weekly I would just work 2 nights.

Also, what are you usually doing instead? If you are just lounging on the couch, I would take it. But if you are already maxed out by time you end the night, I wouldn't.

The money might be worth some stress but you have to decide how much is worth it.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:23 am
I currently do it and I don’t get paid as well as you would be.

So worth it to me

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:25 am
sounds like great pay

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:27 am
Is it something that needs to be done each night. Or flexible enough to do when you have time. Is it some that with more experience doing it, you can do faster than the time allotted? Is it per hour or garentee salary?
Is it year round? Only on school days? Will they be annoying about it

Can you put this $$ specifically in a house fund?

For that amount of $$ I would probably do it. But sometimes when it sounds too good to be true there is a reason.

ShishKabob

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:31 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
Depends! I’m at a stage where I waste too much time at night so I might enjoy being paid to be productive.

But if it would stress me out or cause me to be short tempered with the kids, not worth it.
This, not everything is money.

hodeez

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:32 am
I would 100 percent do it

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:37 am
So it's not per hour , its a yearly amount for taking on the responsibility of the job.
I estimated the time it would take but I'm assuming that it will be flexible with hours, not sure if I can do 2 hours twice a week though, it would need my time most days.
My kids are only asleep by 8:30pm so I would work from 8:30/9 for around an hour...
It definitely will be a pressure, just not sure how much

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:39 am
I would definitely do it

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:42 am
I would do it, but I've been working nights for as long as I can remember. One hour a night sounds great!

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:46 am
I feel maxed out now, so even if there was a way for me to get this done, I would have to sat no. I know some days during the week I'm overwhelmed with laundry or mess, and having the stress of knowing I have to find time to work and be in the right frame of mind each night also would be too much for me. I also know it's not an extension of my work- because it's a whole new project my brain does need more energy for it, than just catching up on what I'm in middle of at work.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:56 am
amother OP wrote:
So it's not per hour , its a yearly amount for taking on the responsibility of the job.
I estimated the time it would take but I'm assuming that it will be flexible with hours, not sure if I can do 2 hours twice a week though, it would need my time most days.
My kids are only asleep by 8:30pm so I would work from 8:30/9 for around an hour...

Only an hour?! I would definitely do it!!

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 12:01 pm
I wouldn’t do it. Parnussa is bashert and you already have a day job.
Think simchas, night out, mikvah or just relaxing and catching your breath. It can also have a toll on your day job.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 12:05 pm
My experience is that these little side jobs take a lot more time than you think they will. Also the emails and texts associated with the job can add up.

How would the extra income affect you in terms of taxes?

Personally I need to not be “on” for at least a little while each day. I would hesitate to take on this job.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
I wouldn’t do it. Parnussa is bashert and you already have a day job.
Think simchas, night out, mikvah or just relaxing and catching your breath. It can also have a toll on your day job.

Agree to this. I also am exhausted after working a day job and maintaining house and busy with an active toddler...

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 12:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

I work at night in a room right by my kids rooms. So at 8 when their bed trying to fall asleep I start working. It’s a win-win because at least I’m being productive while on guard duty lol.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 1:01 pm
I would give it a try.
I have a similar kind of job where I am responsible for the job and can do it any time.
It pays my family's health insurance that would otherwise be an extra expense.
There is a monthly deadline so sometimes it is a stress but in the long run for me it's worth it

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 2:27 pm
Thanks all for your replies!
I would love to hear from more mothers who have done this?
Did you enjoy it, or was it an extra stress for you?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics