Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Cooking soup all night long
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 6:00 pm
Do any of you do this?
Is pot lid open a bit or completely covered ?
& it doesn’t cook out? Like evaporate?

Debbig

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 6:04 pm
I do fully covered just cooking a drop. It does not evaporate unless I leave it too high.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 6:06 pm
Not the safest idea in the cookbook, but if you must, use low heat, add more water than the recipe calls for, and keep the pot covered. A really bad idea that is even worse if using a gas flame because a flame too low may go out and then gas leaks into your home. OTOH a high flame can cause boilover which can also extinguish the flame with the same results. If you must, use a Flame Tamer or blech to diffuse the heat and shield the flame from boilovers. Also filling the pot no more than halfway helps minimize the risk of boilover.

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Aug 29 2024, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

ittsamother  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 6:06 pm
I put up the soup late Thursday night and leave it fully covered on the lowest flame. Never had a problem. The only time I lost more water than I'd like was when I left the flame one level higher than that. So I never do that anymore.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 6:09 pm
I do it in a crock pot and its delicious. The stove makes me too nervous.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 6:28 pm
I don’t have gas oven
Electric

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:35 pm
I did it once and it tasted and looked so gross.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 7:44 pm
In the winter, I leave my soup on the blech from before Shabbos until lunch. I love overnight soup.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 9:05 pm
One more question. …
If my pot is very big, should I leave it on the large burner or the medium sized one ?

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 9:07 pm
If oven is gas then leave a window open

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 9:07 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
If oven is gas then leave a window open

don’t have gas oven
Electric

SingALong

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 11:05 pm
I cook my soup like that every Thursday night. I bring to a boil, then lower flame to the lowest. Pot stays fully covered. That’s how the soup cooks all night. I do it with a huge pot, but still on a very small flame. The soup gets very well done, a deep amber brown color.

ittsamother  

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 12:09 am
SingALong wrote:
I cook my soup like that every Thursday night. I bring to a boil, then lower flame to the lowest. Pot stays fully covered. That’s how the soup cooks all night. I do it with a huge pot, but still on a very small flame. The soup gets very well done, a deep amber brown color.

Yes same, and it's so rich and flavorful! SingALong, how much chicken do you put in your soup?

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 2:24 am
And then do you leave it cooking till Friday night meal?

essie14

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 2:24 am
SingALong wrote:

Same same!

ittsamother  

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 3:00 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
And then do you leave it cooking till Friday night meal?

I leave it cooking til right before Shabbos, and then I put the whole pot into the oven on Shabbos mode, on 200°.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 3:27 am
amother Emerald wrote:
I did it once and it tasted and looked so gross.

You need to only use chicken and spices and leave the veggies for the last few hours before you serve. Otherwise it will be bad. You can also put ingredients into a mesh gauze bag so the broth stays clear

ittsamother  

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 3:59 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
You need to only use chicken and spices and leave the veggies for the last few hours before you serve. Otherwise it will be bad. You can also put ingredients into a mesh gauze bag so the broth stays clear

Nope, I put my veggies in right from the start. I put the chicken and dill in a mesh bag, cuz I don't like dill floating around and I want the chicken to be easily removed for serving purposes. But yeah, all ingredients in from the start. Tastes delish.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 7:39 am
ittsamother wrote:
Nope, I put my veggies in right from the start. I put the chicken and dill in a mesh bag, cuz I don't like dill floating around and I want the chicken to be easily removed for serving purposes. But yeah, all ingredients in from the start. Tastes delish.

Do you use a whole bunch of dill?
Does it have to be checked ? Or if it’s in a mesh bag it doesn’t?

ittsamother  

Post Fri, Aug 30 2024, 8:30 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you use a whole bunch of dill?
Does it have to be checked ? Or if it’s in a mesh bag it doesn’t?

No, I don't use a whole bunch, just some. I buy it fresh, wash it and clean it, then freeze it in small individual bunches and stick one bunch in the soup each week. The mesh bag just basically contains it from floating around the soup, the holes of the mesh are not so tiny.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics