Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How long does it take you to clean up from shabbat?
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:48 am
Im wondering how long it takes ladies here to clean up from shabbat. And that can mean whatever it means for you. For us, we clear up the dining room table, living room, and start the dishwasher. Thats it. We are done within 20 minutes. Sometimes its all finished before my husband even makes havdalah. I realize for most people, it takes longer, but even growing up, it never took a very long time.
So how long does it take you all to clear up shabbat?

meeze

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:55 am
Till Sunday afternoon

juggling

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:00 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im wondering how long it takes ladies here to clean up from shabbat. And that can mean whatever it means for you. For us, we clear up the dining room table, living room, and start the dishwasher. Thats it. We are done within 20 minutes. Sometimes its all finished before my husband even makes havdalah. I realize for most people, it takes longer, but even growing up, it never took a very long time.

A lot depends on different families' habits. If you have lots of serving platters and salad bowls, a crock pot and a bunch of pyrex to scrub, it's going to take longer than if you serve everything plated or in disposable tins and don't use a crock pot. If you use hand-wash, hand-dry crystal goblets it takes longer than if you use dishwasher-safe tumblers. Etc.

abrainbow

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:09 am
Around an hour not counting the second dishwasher load done the next morning.
Have 6 little kids. Games and toys to clean up. I use all china and pyrex and glasses.
Especially if we have guests at the meal and kids friends over no matter how much I clean up over shabbos there is a balagan after.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:09 am
juggling wrote:
A lot depends on different families' habits. If you have lots of serving platters and salad bowls, a crock pot and a bunch of pyrex to scrub, it's going to take longer than if you serve everything plated or in disposable tins and don't use a crock pot. If you use hand-wash, hand-dry crystal goblets it takes longer than if you use dishwasher-safe tumblers. Etc.

Of course that all depends. This was purely a curiosity thread. Thats all.

mha3484  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:15 am
Around 1-2 hours. Its a group effort. I really like to clean as I go. The only dishes I wash after shabbos are the crockpots, serving dishes etc. I use a lot of paper goods and parchment paper. I also have set times for the kids to clean up what they played with on shabbos, after an experience many years ago of almost having a bad fall with a magna tile while pregnant I started making clean up times on shabbos. I sweep the floor a few times. My goal is to not over do it on shabbos so it doesnt feel like shabbos but also not have a tornado motzei shabbos.

TravelHearter

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:21 am
Kids are little so they don’t really help on M”S. Sunday they clean somewhat. So we don’t touch the living room/playroom M”S. Between DH and I we do the kitchen and dining room. Sweeping, sleeting up from shalosh , spraying and cleaning, dishwasher (first load) and washing the things that need to be done by hand like the Chulent pot. We both work until it’s finished.

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:23 am
Maximum an hour - usually by the time we do havdalah. Washing dishes, clearing up toys and clothes on the floor, clearing and wiping the table, sweeping.

pinkpeonies

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:45 am
About an hour or two, but sometimes I wait till Sunday morning when I have more energy

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:11 am
Depends on how many kids are home and how many meals we hosted and how many guests at the meal.

It was 2 dishwasher loads this past shabbos (smallish number of guests for only one meal, ate somewhere else the other) but I wanted to go to bed early so loaded the second load on sunday.

For a long time I kept forgetting crockpot liners and that is a big job. Just got some bh.

Table gets cleared after lunch and just needs to be put in dishwasher after shabbos.

peachmommy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:07 pm
Always have at least 10 guests shabbos day but
Cleaning lady cleans up everything after the meal. Sometimes there's some toys to put away after Shabbos. I'm grateful!

abbie

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:07 pm
Depends if we have hosted or been out for meals. Usually around 30mins-1 hour

justforfun87

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 12:18 pm
Our kitchen goes from clean eruv shabbos to a BOMB by end of shabbos between all the dishes/plates/etc. It takes usually at least 3 loads to get through the dishwasher. We have a very hard time recovering from the shabbos mess with the toys and everything even if I load a bit in dishwasher on shabbat.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 1:27 pm
Depends if people are helping. I think I'm going to start ordering pizza after cleanup because the kids are always asking for pizza for melava malka but they drag their feet about helping to clean up. If everyone pitches in it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes but if they all disappear it could take 3 days because I have no motivation to pick up after people who leave me messes and apparently nobody else cares either.

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 1:31 pm
I'm mostly cleaned up by an hour after shabbos. If we have two dishwasher loads full, then the rest of the fleishig dishes just wait in the sink until Sunday am.

The crockpot - 5-6 business days.

sbil

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 1:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
I'm mostly cleaned up by an hour after shabbos. If we have two dishwasher loads full, then the rest of the fleishig dishes just wait in the sink until Sunday am.

The crockpot - 5-6 business days.

LOL couldn't agree more about crockpot

smiley21

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:09 pm
Everyone keeps mentioning hand washing the crock pot. Is one not supposed to put it in the dishwasher? I've been putting mine in the dishwasher for 3 years w/o a problem. First I soak it overnight and remove most of what's stuck to it with a spoon.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:10 pm
Line your crockpot with parchment paper and cleaning it is a breeze. Best thing I ever learned.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:38 pm
Here's what I do to make crockpot washing a breeze after Shabbos.

Use a liner. But don't just put it in. First, spray the inside of the crockpot insert with Pam. Then add at least an inch of water, even two inches. Then put the liner in and fill with cholent ingredients.

On Shabbos, you can take the entire liner out and dump it into whatever you serve the cholent in. That way you don't have to fill it spoonful by spoonful. (Careful, any cholent on the liner will make it hot!)

When Shabbos is over, just throw out the liner and you have a crockpot insert with a little bit of grease on it and some water. Very easy to clean. Definitely no need to soak or scrub.

Since I started doing this, the bottom of my cholent doesn't get burned, it doesn't stick to the insert, the liner doesn't break...It's wonderful.

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:53 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Unfortunately never completely

We use more dishes than our dishwasher can hold. By the time we are done with Shabbat dishes, we have collected the Sunday dirty dishes…
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics