Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any Communities Where Houses Have Acreage?
1  2  3  4  Next

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:54 am
Hi Everyone,

My DH and I are in no rush to move, but we would love to find a community that suits our family in perhaps the next few years. BH, we are young, and have time to save and plan.

What we’re looking for in a community:

Basic, but solid infrastructure - Mikvah, eruv, Shuls, separate schools for boys and girls, perhaps a small kosher grocery store. The presence of a kollel would be very nice.

A community with a good mix of people, probably leaning towards a more OOT feel. I wouldn’t classify ourselves as modern yeshivish, nor your typical yeshivish. I wish “plain old” frum was good enough these days 😂. I dress Tzniusly, cover my hair, my husband wears a black hat on shabbos, we would only send our children to frum schools that are not coed past like kindergarten. We do have internet, watch some movies, etc.

Frum daycare would be amazing as well would opportunities for jobs within the community

Kosher dining and shopping are pluses, but not must haves.

What we’re looking for in terms of housing:

This is where I feel stuck 😩

I really want to be able to find a house that has acreage on it, and with more privacy. I don’t want my neighbor’s house within two feet of mine.

I love gardening and the idea of having a small homestead/farm with chickens and maybe smaller farm animals. Slower-paced living is definitely more my jam.

I’m an an interior design fanatic and absolutely love older, more traditional architecture and style. It may end up even becoming a career for me. If only there was a frum community that had historical homes!

Now, when it comes to design/architecture- that is something that’s much easier to create and tweak to your liking (even building a custom house). However, finding a property that has at least 1-2 acres is very difficult. I also know that the bigger properties are, the more complicated things get pertaining to eruvim, but then again you could always make your own personal one.

I can’t help but feeling materialistic for these desires, but raising my children in this sort of way feels right to me.

On the flip-side, I’ve talked to so many women who have told me that they too wanted to live on a farm and have a large property, so I know I’m not alone.

We’re not interested in living on the west coast (Seattle, CA, Portland etc.) due to the extreme government.

AZ doesn’t work for us due to the climate/extreme heat.

I don’t want to live anywhere that feels very city-like.

Am I asking too much? 😬

I would appreciate any information/leads!

Thanks so much in advance

amother
Watermelon  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:02 am
Minnie0mouse wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My DH and I are in no rush to move, but we would love to find a community that suits our family in perhaps the next few years. BH, we are young, and have time to save and plan.

What we’re looking for in a community:

Basic, but solid infrastructure - Mikvah, eruv, Shuls, separate schools for boys and girls, perhaps a small kosher grocery store. The presence of a kollel would be very nice.

A community with a good mix of people, probably leaning towards a more OOT feel. I wouldn’t classify ourselves as modern yeshivish, nor your typical yeshivish. I wish “plain old” frum was good enough these days 😂. I dress Tzniusly, cover my hair, my husband wears a black hat on shabbos, we would only send our children to frum schools that are not coed past like kindergarten. We do have internet, watch some movies, etc.

Frum daycare would be amazing as well would opportunities for jobs within the community

Kosher dining and shopping are pluses, but not must haves.

What we’re looking for in terms of housing:

This is where I feel stuck 😩

I really want to be able to find a house that has acreage on it, and with more privacy. I don’t want my neighbor’s house within two feet of mine.

I love gardening and the idea of having a small homestead/farm with chickens and maybe smaller farm animals. Slower-paced living is definitely more my jam.

I’m an an interior design fanatic and absolutely love older, more traditional architecture and style. It may end up even becoming a career for me. If only there was a frum community that had historical homes!

Now, when it comes to design/architecture- that is something that’s much easier to create and tweak to your liking (even building a custom house). However, finding a property that has at least 1-2 acres is very difficult. I also know that the bigger properties are, the more complicated things get pertaining to eruvim, but then again you could always make your own personal one.

I can’t help but feeling materialistic for these desires, but raising my children in this sort of way feels right to me.

On the flip-side, I’ve talked to so many women who have told me that they too wanted to live on a farm and have a large property, so I know I’m not alone.

We’re not interested in living on the west coast (Seattle, CA, Portland etc.) due to the extreme government.

AZ doesn’t work for us due to the climate/extreme heat.

I don’t want to live anywhere that feels very city-like.

Am I asking too much? 😬

I would appreciate any information/leads!

Thanks so much in advance

Toms River, Jackson, Monsey all have areas with large plots of 2 aces+....not out of town though!

I was in Cincinnati and many of the houses are on large plots of land.

teachkids

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:04 am
Parts of Monsey. Especially Wesley Hills

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:08 am
I can totally relate to your dreams; we'd also love a large property like that. It does exist, but at a high premium. It is very expensive to find something like that in a frum area.
Hatzlacha!

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:23 am
What's your budget?
Cincinnati would fit your stated wishlist but homes with that size lot might be closer to a million dollars!

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:24 am
We would probably move out of where we’re living and purchase our second house in said area.

I’m honestly not sure what our budget would be then, I’m more so interest in if these types of places even exist within frum communities.

amother
Waterlily

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:25 am
Jackson nj

amother
Carnation  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:30 am
You can find this in many areas. You are just looking at a lot of money. Probably over 1 million in some more like 2 million.

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:32 am
amother Carnation wrote:
You can find this in many areas. You are just looking at a lot of money. Probably over 1 million in some more like 2 million.

Any specific areas/communities?

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:33 am
Minnie0mouse wrote:
We would probably move out of where we’re living and purchase our second house in said area.

I’m honestly not sure what our budget would be then, I’m more so interest in if these types of places even exist within frum communities.

They sure do.
I grew up in Monsey and it was definitely a thing.
I know people who bought in the areas surrounding lakewood and have even bigger than that!

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:40 am
Here's one in the eruv in Cincinnati
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

1.18 acres
But asking close to 1.3 million...

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:47 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Here's one in the eruv in Cincinnati
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

1.18 acres
But asking close to 1.3 million...

Wow that’s crazy. I would be totally fine living in a practical dump of a house if it came with land, but it seems that you need to have the million dollar mansion in order to have any land. 😭

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:49 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
They sure do.
I grew up in Monsey and it was definitely a thing.
I know people who bought in the areas surrounding lakewood and have even bigger than that!

So, I’ve seen a lot of previous threads about moving to Monsey and not going to lie, the drama and negativity kinda scared me off from considering living there.

To me, the whole living in-town seems like a major feat between property taxes, the competition of schools, the major traffic etc. I feel like I would never find people like myself and always feel like an outsider.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:56 am
There are some homes in Waterbury with acreage. A couple of people have chicken coops. It's very affordable but probably more city like than you'd like.

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:05 am
nicole81 wrote:
There are some homes in Waterbury with acreage. A couple of people have chicken coops. It's very affordable but probably more city like than you'd like.

Just looked into Waterbury and I’m very impressed! Definitely adding it to our list of places to strongly consider.

amother
RosePink  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:06 am
I was going to suggest Waterbury which was big beautiful historic houses for affordable prices. I don’t know how rural you want or how much acreage . Like others pointed out having 2 acres and some farm animals isn’t unusual in Toms River or Jackson NJ, which is definitely not OOT. If a place is so spread out that each family has a few acres it’s hard to have a walkable Shul.

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:12 am
amother RosePink wrote:
I was going to suggest Waterbury which was big beautiful historic houses for affordable prices. I don’t know how rural you want or how much acreage . Like others pointed out having 2 acres and some farm animals isn’t unusual in Toms River or Jackson NJ, which is definitely not OOT. If a place is so spread out that each family has a few acres it’s hard to have a walkable Shul.

True, I figured as much with regards to the eruv. Anyone live in Toms River that has a positive experience?

amother
  RosePink  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:34 am
Minnie0mouse wrote:
True, I figured as much with regards to the eruv. Anyone live in Toms River that has a positive experience?

Tens of thousands of people ! lol
I have a friendly acquaintance who has a big backyard with alpacas , goats , a horse.

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:36 am
amother RosePink wrote:
Tens of thousands of people ! lol
I have a friendly acquaintance who has a big backyard with alpacas , goats , a horse.

Oh wow. Do you know what traffic is like in Toms River? Any other information on the community?

amother
  Carnation  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:39 am
Most of Tom’s River has a very positive experience. Hardly any traffic. But… you do need to send to Lakewood schools and use some Lakewood resources. You can cut through on the parkway but once you need to use local Lakewood streets there is traffic. But Tom’s River is in middle of opening a few plazas and grocery stores so very soon the only thing you’ll need is schools from Lakewood.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating