Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Are there still Harry communities
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:22 pm
Iykyk

Planning to move in a couple of years when DH finishes school. Our kids are little. We were both raised yeshivish but now consider ourselves JPF. Don't really care about restaurants or clothing stores.

ISO a community with the following specific attributes:
-Full of out-of-style nerds who don’t know or care about frum standards of materialism
-People sincere in whatever level of Judaism they’re holding at
-Majority of women wear skirts/cover hair
-Fully acceptable for women and girls to ride bikes in public
-Homeschooling accepted or at least not ostracized (not dead set on homeschooling but are curious about it as an option)
-Walkable-ish
-Normal to play outside with the other kids on the block

20 years ago I feel like the instant answer to this question would have been ‘Baltimore’ but not sure that's still the case

edit - anywhere in the US

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:32 pm
Lol. Before I read your full post I was gonna scream BALTIMORE!

I live here. Here you have all kinds BH. You’d fit right in with many.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:34 pm
Silver spring

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:35 pm
What’s a Harry community?

amother
Cantaloupe  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:38 pm
If you are looking for a harry community please dont come to Baltimore. We may not be NY but we definitely upped the standards.

U probably need a tiny out of town place.

Rubber Ducky  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:38 pm
It's still Baltimore. The Cheswolde neighborhood where I live would fit your description to a "T". Not every family, but most of us.

amother
Tan  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:41 pm
I was going to suggest Silver Spring and I see someone else has said it also.

I live in Baltimore btw. I still suggest Silver Spring.

amother
  Cantaloupe  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:42 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
It's still Baltimore. The Cheswolde neighborhood where I live would fit your description to a "T". Not every family, but most of us.

Really really not. Old Baltimore is still around in pockets but its not the majority anymore.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:48 pm
I'm from Silver spring! I'm in Passaic now- which we like a lot- but my kids love visiting Silver spring bc of how refreshing and out of town it is- and no matter what they wear they tend to be the most stylish when here they are just ok. They find it so relaxing and wonderful! And the people are sooooo nice!

I think you'd love silver spring.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:51 pm
I live in Baltimore and I wouldn’t call our community Harry but it does fit all your descriptions Smile you can totally do your own thing. You can also choose to dress well and that’s ok too. I find the people here very warm and accepting.
U can totally be crunchy and u can totally home school.
I’m sure there are way out of town places that are even more out of town but I happen to like that u can still shop frum if u want and get takeout and go out to eat.
We love it here for that reason.

advocate

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:51 pm
I live in Baltimore and would agree that it depends on your block...

Hotzlocha rabba! I really appreciate your value system!!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:52 pm
Atlanta fits many of these qualifications! Very down to earth, sincere growing community..

amother
Sienna  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:14 pm
Would also say Baltimore, but also agree with the other posters who mentioned that it has changed a little.
In the 20 + years that I have lived here, standards of living have definitely gone up. And a lot more in towners have moved here.
But I still think it could totally work for you.

otherwise, look for smaller and farther out of town comunities. good luck

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:17 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
What’s a Harry community?

Ask Meghan Twisted Evil

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:19 pm
If you are looking to move far out South Bend fits this description

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:22 pm
Look into Detroit and Jacksonville FL.

amother
Iris  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:32 pm
I moved to Baltimore and don't think it's so Harryish. (At least where I live isn't). It's definitely no 5 Towns or Brooklyn or Lakewood (though plenty of people dress to the 9's here too ) but I don't think it's the nebby Baltimore of old (obviously there are parts.) You can dress your kids in Tottini and Kidichic and be totally with it which I find nice as I like to have my kids look nice but not spend crazy.

Silver Spring is much more out of town and much more accepting in general I think. I have family there and really anything goes. You should visit and get a sense for yourself. It's also much smaller and feels much friendlier to me than Baltimore. Not that people aren't friendly in Baltimore but it's just so big and so many people are from here with tons of friends from forever and relatives that they don't really make an effort to make new friends because they're all set.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:35 pm
Baltimore just not the New York areas

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Iris wrote:
I moved to Baltimore and don't think it's so Harryish. (At least where I live isn't). It's definitely no 5 Towns or Brooklyn or Lakewood (though plenty of people dress to the 9's here too ) but I don't think it's the nebby Baltimore of old (obviously there are parts.) You can dress your kids in Tottini and Kidichic and be totally with it which I find nice as I like to have my kids look nice but not spend crazy.

Silver Spring is much more out of town and much more accepting in general I think. I have family there and really anything goes. You should visit and get a sense for yourself. It's also much smaller and feels much friendlier to me than Baltimore. Not that people aren't friendly in Baltimore but it's just so big and so many people are from here with tons of friends from forever and relatives that they don't really make an effort to make new friends because they're all set.

I dont even know what those are lol

amother
  Sienna

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 8:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dont even know what those are lol

Me too, and I live in Baltimore.
I buy my kids clothes in target and walmart usually. as my girls get older we end up in hats to hose and bdazzled because no tznius choices otherwise...
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating