Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Are there still Harry communities
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:49 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
I second (third?) the recommendation to move to Northeast Philadelphia.

5th actually (I'm keeping track)

amother
Mistyrose  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 4:06 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
I second (third?) the recommendation to move to Northeast Philadelphia.

Would you also say that about Somerton?

amother
  Lightgreen  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 4:33 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
OT but I'm confused about the above. Do different groups go to the grocery store on different days?

No, the stores don't have different hours.
To clarify, many rabbanim, rabbeim and yeshivish men don't feel comfortable shopping at the grocery store at times when it is pretty well known that modern women will be shopping then and the standards of tznius will be lower than what they feel comfortable being around. It can be challenging for those who are machmir with shmiras einayim if they want to shop with their eyes open. (I'm not talking about general stores like Target/Walmart type where many yeshivish men won't enter at all) It is known that there are certain days/times when it will be less challenging. The majority shopping then will be those with a higher level of tznius. Thursday nights, late, for example tends to be a better time. If you've never heard of this, then it's not something that bothers your husband so don't lose any sleep over it

amother
  Lightgreen

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 4:39 pm
amother Silver wrote:
Yeshivish girls ride bikes in Baltimore. The yeshivish women certainly would if they were at a park or bike rental or whatnot. If you don't see yeshivish women in Baltimore riding bikes, that's just because it's not the typical thing most women do, on various ends of the frum spectrum. I rarely see MO women riding bikes around their neighborhood, either. It's not because of tznius reasons.

That doesn't discount the fact that there are yeshivish women and girls who won't ride bikes because they do hold that it's not tznius, even if there are those who don't ride bikes just because they don't want to

readreread

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:01 pm
Not me thinking this was gonna be about Harry Potter fan communities....

In all seriousness though, I'd LOVE to be in a Harry community. This sounds right up my alley!

amother
  Gardenia  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:09 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
No, the stores don't have different hours.
To clarify, many rabbanim, rabbeim and yeshivish men don't feel comfortable shopping at the grocery store at times when it is pretty well known that modern women will be shopping then and the standards of tznius will be lower than what they feel comfortable being around. It can be challenging for those who are machmir with shmiras einayim if they want to shop with their eyes open. (I'm not talking about general stores like Target/Walmart type where many yeshivish men won't enter at all) It is known that there are certain days/times when it will be less challenging. The majority shopping then will be those with a higher level of tznius. Thursday nights, late, for example tends to be a better time. If you've never heard of this, then it's not something that bothers your husband so don't lose any sleep over it

What? Thursday nights? That’s when all the girls go. It’s like a thing for girls to go to seven mile Thursday nights for their mother. Thursday night (and the night before trips) there are always tons of girls from all schools. They go with friends, make plans to meet…maybe if you say knish shop that’s a place no girl would go on a Thursday night, it’s full of bochurim and men. There are no separate hours at seven mile. I’ve seen Rebbetzins at seven mile but they go when their husbands are busy. And I’ve seen very chashuv men at seven mile, even when it’s crowded.

amother
  Silver

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:11 pm
That doesn't discount the fact that there are yeshivish women and girls who won't ride bikes because they do hold that it's not tznius, even if there are those who don't ride bikes just because they don't want to

That is not the majority in Baltimore. I've seen enough yeshivish ladies and certainly teens riding bikes on chol hamoed outings and such in the area to feel pretty confident saying that.
When was the last time you saw a 30 or 40 something JPF or MO woman riding a bike around her neighborhood, in Baltimore or elsewhere? There may be a few, but they are definitely in the minority. It's more about being socially acceptable than tznius (and tbh probably a matter of fitness).

amother
  Gardenia

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:13 pm

Frum women who ride bikes either ride on trails, with their families or wake up early and you have no idea.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:16 pm
Why doesn't Nevada, Phoenix, Houston , Dallas, Louisville, Pittsburgh Denver , maybe Lancaster, ever get spoken about. These places have communities, OOT and you can wear what you like and go biking, have your Rabbi and Shul. Why Baltimore and other places where the rent is sky high?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:18 pm
amother Gold wrote:
Why doesn't Nevada, Phoenix, Houston , Dallas, Louisville, Pittsburgh Denver , maybe Lancaster, ever get spoken about. These places have communities, OOT and you can wear what you like and go biking, have your Rabbi and Shul. Why Baltimore and other places where the rent is sky high?

Some of these were suggested earlier. Trust me, I'm taking notes
edit - also I kind of asked for it by naming Baltimore in my OP

amother
  Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:19 pm
amother Gold wrote:

My brother lives in Denver and it seems like it fits.

amother
  Mulberry  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:26 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
[I]

Yes but unless you’re talking toddler clothes they cost the same as Target or old navy, but are tzenua. Many simple OOT people but it online

As an in-towner, this is what I see most of the kids wearing where I live in Brooklyn. Considered well-dressed, not looked down upon at all. I personally cannot afford to buy from kidichic unless they have a mega-sale.
I found it funny that a poster said she loves her out-of-town community because she can dress her kids in kidichic and tottini and no one will think badly. As if those are companies to scoff at.

amother
  Begonia

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:27 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
My brother lives in Denver and it seems like it fits.

something to keep in mind. OOT communities can have a large turnover rate. I live in Cincinnati and feel like there's definitely a revolving door aspect to it. Plenty of people stay but plenty of people leave as well and I don't think it's just Cincinnati. I think it's OOT thing.

You also want to think carefully about going someplace with only one school and or a very small school. They often don't have the resources you will need or it can be a struggle for your kids socially. I find that OOT living sounds really appealing to people in theory but when they try it there's reasons why they move to more in town afterwards even if they really liked the OOT feel to it... and even if it does work for you it can be hard when yours and your kids friends keep moving out...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
I'm guessing you don't live in Detroit. it follows the general rule, which is the more bais yaakov-y, the more obsessed they are with name brands and other gashmius.

I’m a Detroit native for 40 years and that’s rude. There are many JPF families there. Very few homeschoolers though.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 7:31 pm

Hi I'm a yeshivish Baltimore woman who doesn't ride bikes in public bc I don't feel it's tznius. Only once have I ever seen a frum woman ride a bike in public. My neighbor, very careful with halacha but also she's the crunchy type and doesn't consider herself yeshivish. Tbh I was surprised to see her

amother
Oxfordblue  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:21 pm
I don't live in Baltimore but spend a lot of time there (and a significant amount in Silver Spring).

I am modern, so I am less up on the nuances of yeshivish culture, but I can tell that Baltimore has changed over the years. It's still not a wealthy community, but there is more money and it's not as cut off from trends as it used to be. I do think that the internet, as well as people moving into Baltimore, and travel between Baltimore-lakewood-NY have all affected this.

Now -- if what you want is a community that is a mix, that has less pressure to be a specific "type," where the schools don't have such a rigid box, but still has bigger community amenities, then Baltimore is an excellent choice. But if what you mean is "no pressure and no one is 'with it,'", then maybe not so much.

Silver Spring is getting more yeshvish people, but also has a bigger modern community than Baltimore does.

FWIW, I ride a bicycle but prefer not to do it on the street. In my case it's not a tznius issue; it's a safety one. While I am sure that social acceptability is a factor for many, it may not be the only one.

amother
Cerulean  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:48 pm
amother Gold wrote:

I was coming on here to suggest Pittsburgh

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:49 pm
More Baltimore: The children's vehicle of choice around here seems to be scooters, whether electric or kid-powered.

But my 12-year-old granddaughter just got a bike. And I have seen a frum woman riding a bike down my block.

Among recent clients in my kitchen and home design business who are moving to Baltimore from other places, I can think of 2 from Silver Spring, 2 from Denver, 1 or 2 from Providence, 1 from Florida, 1 from Los Angeles, 1 from Israel, and I can only think of 1 moving here from New York.

kenz

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 8:59 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
As an in-towner, this is what I see most of the kids wearing where I live in Brooklyn. Considered well-dressed, not looked down upon at all. I personally cannot afford to buy from kidichic unless they have a mega-sale.
I found it funny that a poster said she loves her out-of-town community because she can dress her kids in kidichic and tottini and no one will think badly. As if those are companies to scoff at.

Tottini and Kidichic are the least expensive of the frum companies. Additionally, Kidichic has tons of sales and stuff is very cheap then. You can get a lot of stuff for just a few dollars and the prices are just like Target for better quality and a more Jewish look.

amother
Nectarine

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:07 pm
Highland Park/Edison NJ
It’s a mix- modern-Bais Yaakov and in between. Many people are members at more than one shul. Some of the families are into the latest styles, etc, but many are not. You can find your crowd.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating