Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any Communities Where Houses Have Acreage?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Red  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
What's your budget?
Cincinnati would fit your stated wishlist but homes with that size lot might be closer to a million dollars!

We live in Cincy and have an acre but most is woods. It's also not the norm. Border between regular and large houses ...

amother
  Watermelon

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:42 am
Minnie0mouse wrote:
Wow that’s crazy. I would be totally fine living in a practical dump of a house if it came with land, but it seems that you need to have the million dollar mansion in order to have any land. 😭

If you want a dumpy house w land, that usually involves living in the outskirts of the city. And thats not where the frum communities typically are.

As mentioned above, you can move far out in Jackson/ howell/ toms river and get a dumpy house with a few acres, thats kind of a unique situation these days. but you will still be paying 600k, commuting 20 to 40 minutes to your schools and stores in Lakewood and still dealing with Lakewood school drama, which it sounds like you dont want . But there are definitely "homesteads" in the outskirts.

Another option might be to consider a frum community in a smaller city where the "outskirts" are not so far away and buy yourself some land that you can hang out in, or maybe make it your "weekday" house.

amother
  RosePink

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:52 am
Minnie0mouse wrote:
Oh wow. Do you know what traffic is like in Toms River? Any other information on the community?

It’s a suburb of Lakewood basically and you would use the Lakewood infrastructure. No issues with traffic or parking , most houses are large private houses with yards. The communities range from chilled yeshivish to yeshivish to modern orthodox to chasidish . A little of everything. You’d probably appreciate the Whitesville area.

amother
Amaranthus  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:56 am
You may get lucky in Baltimore too, there are a few bigger properties near the Beth tefiloh/ old court area but again the price tag is usually high. Doesn’t hurt to try.

amother
Cadetblue  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:02 am
amother RosePink wrote:
It’s a suburb of Lakewood basically and you would use the Lakewood infrastructure. No issues with traffic or parking , most houses are large private houses with yards. The communities range from chilled yeshivish to yeshivish to modern orthodox to chasidish . A little of everything. You’d probably appreciate the Whitesville area.

Whitesville traffic during school dropoff and pickup is very busy. A 10 minute drive can change into 20-25 minutes. These days you can wait 5 minutes before being able to come out of your street onto whitesville. Was much quieter 2 years ago. Still worth it.

amother
  Carnation

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:03 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Whitesville traffic during school dropoff and pickup is very busy. A 10 minute drive can change into 20-25 minutes. These days you can wait 5 minutes before being able to come out of your street onto whitesville. Was much quieter 2 years ago. Still worth it.

That’s only when they close roads or there is an accident. Not on a typical day. They have been doing construction the last few months.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:19 am
I know someone who just bought in fallsburg. Apparently there is a nice year round community.

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:25 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Here's one in the eruv in Cincinnati
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

1.18 acres
But asking close to 1.3 million...

Cheaper with more acreage and also a drop closer to shuls

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:26 am
amother Red wrote:
We live in Cincy and have an acre but most is woods. It's also not the norm. Border between regular and large houses ...

The farther you get in Amberley, the easier it is to find.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

dena613

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:34 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Cheaper with more acreage and also a drop closer to shuls

That house has a lot of cool character!

amother
  Red  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:42 am
I find that cincy house can have a lot of character which is so much more fun then the box houses I left in nj. our house there was bigger, more bedrooms... but this one is more airy and "different".

that house was owned and designed by an architect. mine was also. wonder how many architects lived here!

here's another house full of character that sold a few years within the eiruv but wasn't bought by frum people

Glitterveil

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:15 am
I don't have any advice on this topic but I feel like I'm in the same boat! My husband and I would love to start a homestead someday and as much as he may enjoy living in the middle of nowhere I feel like having some infrastructure is important. If only we could start a community in Montanna or Wyoming LOL

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:25 am
amother Red wrote:
I find that cincy house can have a lot of character which is so much more fun then the box houses I left in nj. our house there was bigger, more bedrooms... but this one is more airy and "different".

that house was owned and designed by an architect. mine was also. wonder how many architects lived here!

here's another house full of character that sold a few years within the eiruv but wasn't bought by frum people

Mine was lived in by the builder of similar layouts on my block, not sure if actual architect, but that's why mine is bigger than average 😉

amother
Bronze  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 12:59 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
You may get lucky in Baltimore too, there are a few bigger properties near the Beth tefiloh/ old court area but again the price tag is usually high. Doesn’t hurt to try.

I don’t know…some houses on cross country/western run have lots of land. I think 1/2 an acre is pretty typical for those streets, so if she finds a house on two plots she has an acre right there

small bean

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:02 pm
I have that in jackson and did not pay a lot.

If you don't need frum neighbors right now, you can have that without paying a tremendous premium.

amother
  Red  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:18 pm
Glitterveil wrote:
I don't have any advice on this topic but I feel like I'm in the same boat! My husband and I would love to start a homestead someday and as much as he may enjoy living in the middle of nowhere I feel like having some infrastructure is important. If only we could start a community in Montanna or Wyoming LOL

My dh wants to start a small community once he retires ( in like 13 years or so) but there would be no shul rabbi. It would be for people who just want to be able to their own thing but want the infrastructure of a very small community. He doesn't care. He'd be fine living by himself. Would be doing it for me. Probably no school at least at first. Think retirement/ homeschooling community...when it gets closer I'll probably post here Is that something that would interest you?

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:29 pm
Baltimore is very city like....but.....
The older side of town has bigger yards and older houses. There is actually a block that the houses were marked as historical. My house and my parents house are about 100 years old. Lots of character.

I grew up on 1/3 of an acre. So not acres, but not tiny either.

My neighbor has had sheep and chickens over the years.

amother
  Bronze

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 2:16 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
Baltimore is very city like....but.....
The older side of town has bigger yards and older houses. There is actually a block that the houses were marked as historical. My house and my parents house are about 100 years old. Lots of character.

I grew up on 1/3 of an acre. So not acres, but not tiny either.

My neighbor has had sheep and chickens over the years.

There are many blocks with historical houses. Just know what you’re getting yourself into if you buy a historical house…
Bancroft also has some houses with lots of land. Bancroft between cross country and park heights was built for Jews when they weren’t allowed to live in other parts of Baltimore. So some of those houses are grand houses. Others are smaller.

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 2:20 pm
Glitterveil wrote:

I feel you! Count me in!

Minnie0mouse  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 2:22 pm
amother Red wrote:
My dh wants to start a small community once he retires ( in like 13 years or so) but there would be no shul rabbi. It would be for people who just want to be able to their own thing but want the infrastructure of a very small community. He doesn't care. He'd be fine living by himself. Would be doing it for me. Probably no school at least at first. Think retirement/ homeschooling community...when it gets closer I'll probably post here Is that something that would interest you?

Not without a shul and basic infrastructure. I just don’t see myself being able to live a frum lifestyle without those basics, or wha ti would consider basics.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating