Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Leg pain

amother
OP  

Post Today at 1:53 pm
Has anyone's toddler had leg/knee pain? To the point where they couldn't walk? My child has been complaining about his knee when walking far etc but today he couldn't walk for a few minutes. Obviously called the Dr right away and BHBHBH he didn't seem concerned. I'm freaking out though, has anyone else had anything like this and everything was ok??

Perly1

Post Today at 1:56 pm
Can be growing pain but do check his shoes. Grandson was in so much pain and it turned out his shoes were too small.

amother
Aquamarine

It’s not uncommon. I’ve heard of it being strep, a virus, a missed fracture etc.. I’d go for a strep test, bloodwork and xrays. Sometimes doctors are too chilled I’d rule out anything serious.

amother
Pewter

Myositis? Strep? Lyme?

amother
Lily

Post Today at 2:05 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
It’s not uncommon. I’ve heard of it being strep, a virus, a missed fracture etc.. I’d go for a strep test, bloodwork and xrays. Sometimes doctors are too chilled I’d rule out anything serious.

This.
I'd check for strep, lyme and other tick borne diseases.
Also check magnisium levels. Even if it's within range, you can do a topical application. Helped one of my kids with lots of similar type issues. (Turned out she had a chronic tick borne illness. But even before we treated the underlying issue, the magnesium helped with pain and symptoms)
Also shoes even if the size is right, some shoes are bad for kids feet. One shoe that's good for one kids feet can be bad for another kid.
I had that once with one of my kids. Full prices, professionally fitted shoe. Shes been wearing it for weeks. But once it stretched it hit wrong. We got new shoes, within 2 days she was all good. No pain since.

Saying "growing pains" is like calling crying babies "colic" there is always an underlying reason. And most of the time it's not too challanging to figure it out if you put your mind to it.
And sometimes it's not possible so you just deal with the symptoms until they "outgrow" it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Today at 2:08 pm
Take a blood test and see if white blood cell count is high if yes its a sign of infection

amother
Green

Post Today at 2:16 pm
Does the child have fever? Is there a bump or redness around the knee? Does it feel warm to the touch?
My toddler had knee pain which ended up being an infected knee bone. But she had fever as well.

amother
Oak

Post Today at 2:24 pm
Every time my son started limping and complaining of knee pain, we ran for a throat culture and was always strep

amother
  OP

Post Today at 2:59 pm
He had fever for a few days over yt so we couldn't bring him to the dr till tomorrow... no redness etc

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Today at 3:00 pm
My kid had this when he had strep. Couldn’t walk because of knee pain

amother
Tangerine

Post Today at 3:13 pm
My oldest had this a few times - turned out each time she needed new shoes. It wasn't obvious from the fit, but I guess the shoes had worn out or started not fitting correctly after some time. Try getting your toddler new shoes and see if it helps.

amother
Winterberry

Post Today at 4:51 pm
Could be Post viral synovitis.
Ask your doctor.
Treats with Motrin.
Two of my kids had it.

amother
Linen

Post Today at 5:15 pm
one child suddenly grew so his pants was straining on a certain point causing him terrible pain.
another kid gets terrible pain if they dont have enough milk or yogurts often enough
myself and one of my kid often twist our ankle from plain basic walking, as a toddler he couldnt express why it was hurting but he was limping from it every time it happened, went to dr often for it. Now that he is 5 and expresses when it happened, I made sure to get him high-top shoes, I hope it gives more support.

giftedmom

Post Today at 7:08 pm
In my experience growing pains doesn’t actually cause a kid to limp. The only time my kid was actually limping was from strept. But every kid is different.

tweety1

Post Today at 7:21 pm
giftedmom wrote:
In my experience growing pains doesn’t actually cause a kid to limp. The only time my kid was actually limping was from strept. But every kid is different.

My experience too. Synovitis also caused my kids to limp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics