Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Can someone explain to me the candles we light?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 10:53 pm
I know there are a few and I can never keep them straight.

tweety1  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 10:55 pm
I don't understand. We light regular candles like when we tzind fri night plus an extra called a gezunt licht-for us it's a yellow wax candle. Like a ner neshuma 1 day candle

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 10:59 pm
https://yaacovhaber.com/rth/th.....alah/

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 11:00 pm
We light regular shabbos candles . My husband lights yahrzeit candles

Never heard of any other candles

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 11:01 pm
Thank you for posting! I had no idea.

amother
Peach  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 11:14 pm
Before you light your candles, the same amount you light on Friday night, light a yahrtzeit candle.
Motzei Yom Kippur you’re not supposed to strike a match or turn on a flame on a stove to light the havdala candle. You’re supposed to light the havdala candle from a flame that was burning from before Yom Tov. On Motzei Yom Kippur you use the flame of the yahrtzeit candle you lit the day before before to light the havdala candle.

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 1:12 am
Aside from my regular shabbos/yomtov Candles, on Yom kipur I light 2 yorzeit candles.
If I remember right, one is for neshamos* (in general), and one for gezunt.
Our rav instructed this 30 year ago when we married, and all our Shul.
We light havdala after Yom kipur from one of those candles.
* even though we have all sets of parents, boruch Hashem.

amother
Chocolate  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 1:17 am
I think if a couple lives alone they also light a candle in their bedroom to remind them to keep harchakos. (Shulchan orach) But once you have kids can keep door slightly ajar.

Elfrida  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 1:29 am
amother Peach wrote:
Before you light your candles, the same amount you light on Friday night, light a yahrtzeit candle.
Motzei Yom Kippur you’re not supposed to strike a match or turn on a flame on a stove to light the havdala candle. You’re supposed to light the havdala candle from a flame that was burning from before Yom Tov. On Motzei Yom Kippur you use the flame of the yahrtzeit candle you lit the day before before to light the havdala candle.

Some people hold that you shouldn't use the yahrzeit light to light the havdallah candle, so they light an additional one for this purpose, in addition to however many yahrzeit candles they light.

So the overall amount is:
Shabbos candles, as you would normally light
Yahrzeit candles for as many people as you say yahrzeit for.
Ner ha'chaim. Some people have the custom of lighting a 24 hour candle for the healthy members of the household.
Ner she'shavat. The candle that has rested. This is the candle that was lit before Yom Kippur, and has burned throughout the day, and is now used to light the havdallah candle.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 2:11 am
1. Yatzheit candle if you have a deceased parent - each adult who has a deceased parents lights 1 even if both parents are deceased.
2. Another 24 hr candle to light from for Havdalah
3. Another for the healthy (lit by married men)
4. Married people should put a light in their bedroom (you can use the candle lit for the healthy) it's a reminder that relations are forbidden.

Also remember you need to light on time or a few minutes early.

And this year we say "lehadlik ner shel Shabbos v'Yom Hakipurim.

https://www.shemayisrael.com/y.....s.htm

Elfrida  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 2:21 am
amother Poppy wrote:
1. Yatzheit candle if you have a deceased parent - each adult who has a deceased parents lights 1 even if both parents are deceased.

Some people light one for each person they say yahrzeit for.

Once in the makolet a woman asked me if I could reach the yarzeit candles for her. She was a holocaust survivor, and needed twelve. One for each member of her family who was murdered.

Bottom line - there are a lot of different minhagim, and as long as you light at least two Shabbos candles and one additional one, you've covered the basics.

tweety1

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 5:04 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
I think if a couple lives alone they also light a candle in their bedroom to remind them to keep harchakos. (Shulchan orach) But once you have kids can keep door slightly ajar.

Never heard of this before

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 5:09 am
I learned that one does not light yurtzeit candles unless they have a deceased relative they would be saying yikor for.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 5:11 am
amother Chocolate wrote:

Wow, sounds so dangerous to leave a candle in the bedroom with nobody there.

Elfrida  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 6:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Wow, sounds so dangerous to leave a candle in the bedroom with nobody there.

It doesn't have to be any more dangerous in tbe bedroom than anywhere else. You clear a space on your night table and put a glass or metal tray there, then put a yahrzeit candle, which is already in a glass or metal cup, on top. When I lived in a studio apartment I had candles in the room every week.

However, I've read that this was the traditional practice, but nowadays a small lamp is fine. The point is that there should be some low level light, as a reminder that intimacy is not going to happen. A Shabbos lamp partially open would be fine.

amother
  Peach  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 6:11 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I learned that one does not light yurtzeit candles unless they have a deceased relative they would be saying yikor for.

There’s a minhag some have not to light a yahrtzeit candle in honor of someone who died if the person has no first degree relative who died. The yahrtzeit candle lit on Erev Yom Kippur before lighting the Yom Tov candles is just being lit for the fire. You use a yahrtzeit candle because you need a candle that will burn from before candle lighting until havdala, but it’s being used for the flame. That’s not a problem.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 6:14 am
We do like peach.
We do not add lights for our dads zal it's included with the yurtseit and if you don't have yurtseit bh you still have this light.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:35 am
If I leave a blech on to warm up Food for little kids can we use that fire

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:00 am
amother Bronze wrote:

You mean to light the havdallah candle? Yes, you can use that. The point is not yo create a new flame.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:04 am
amother Bronze wrote:

Remember that Yom Kipper is like Shabbos, not Yom Tov. While you can leave things on the blech before Yom Kippur, you can't really place things on it next day. It's called nesina lchatchilah in Halachik terms.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur