Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Can someone explain to me the candles we light?
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Remember that Yom Kipper is like Shabbos, not Yom Tov. While you can leave things on the blech before Yom Kippur, you can't really place things on it next day. It's called nesina lchatchilah in Halachik terms.

You can put things on a plata on shabbat, just not with liquid, for ashkenazim. No issue.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:11 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
You can put things on a plata on shabbat, just not with liquid, for ashkenazim. No issue.

A plata has no flame. Which means she's talking about a blech over an actual stove.

amother
  Peach

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 9:13 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

The plug in platas used to heat food for Shabbos are different than a blech over an actual stove burner. The confusion comes because in Hebrew a blech over a flame is called a plata but there’s an electrical hot plate made for warming food and that’s called a plata too. Halachically they’re not the same. Ask your lor for details on warming food and how the two are different.
Amother bronze was asking about lighting the havdala candle from the flame that was burning on her stove. As far as I know that’s okay because you’re not lighting a new flame, but you can ask.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 10:19 am
Regular shabbos/YT candles.

A yartzeit type of candle in the bedroom to remind of the harchakos.
Some men light a swings one in shul.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:16 am
A blech with an inverted pan on top to give height can definitely be used to heat up dry food.

This year, since YK falls out on Shabbos, not everyone holds you need to use an existing flame for havdalah.

amother
  Chocolate

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 11:18 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Depends on who you ask. My rav says I can only heat food on a pan that is being heated for use.

Like if I leave a pot of water boiling on Shabbos only to heat food I cannot put dry food on it.

But if I have a cholent pot boiling I can put dry food on it.

I don’t know why. But this is what he told me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur