Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Can someone explain to me the candles we light?

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 10:53 pm
I know there are a few and I can never keep them straight.

tweety1

Post Yesterday at 10:55 pm
I don't understand. We light regular candles like when we tzind fri night plus an extra called a gezunt licht-for us it's a yellow wax candle. Like a ner neshuma 1 day candle

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Yesterday at 10:59 pm
https://yaacovhaber.com/rth/th.....alah/

amother
Electricblue

Post Yesterday at 11:00 pm
We light regular shabbos candles . My husband lights yahrzeit candles

Never heard of any other candles

amother
Mistyrose

Post Yesterday at 11:01 pm
Thank you for posting! I had no idea.

amother
Peach

Post Yesterday at 11:14 pm
Before you light your candles, the same amount you light on Friday night, light a yahrtzeit candle.
Motzei Yom Kippur you’re not supposed to strike a match or turn on a flame on a stove to light the havdala candle. You’re supposed to light the havdala candle from a flame that was burning from before Yom Tov. On Motzei Yom Kippur you use the flame of the yahrtzeit candle you lit the day before before to light the havdala candle.

amother
Moonstone

Post Today at 1:12 am
Aside from my regular shabbos/yomtov Candles, on Yom kipur I light 2 yorzeit candles.
If I remember right, one is for neshamos* (in general), and one for gezunt.
Our rav instructed this 30 year ago when we married, and all our Shul.
We light havdala after Yom kipur from one of those candles.
* even though we have all sets of parents, boruch Hashem.

amother
Chocolate

Post Today at 1:17 am
I think if a couple lives alone they also light a candle in their bedroom to remind them to keep harchakos. (Shulchan orach) But once you have kids can keep door slightly ajar.

Elfrida  

Post Today at 1:29 am
amother Peach wrote:
Before you light your candles, the same amount you light on Friday night, light a yahrtzeit candle.
Motzei Yom Kippur you’re not supposed to strike a match or turn on a flame on a stove to light the havdala candle. You’re supposed to light the havdala candle from a flame that was burning from before Yom Tov. On Motzei Yom Kippur you use the flame of the yahrtzeit candle you lit the day before before to light the havdala candle.

Some people hold that you shouldn't use the yahrzeit light to light the havdallah candle, so they light an additional one for this purpose, in addition to however many yahrzeit candles they light.

So the overall amount is:
Shabbos candles, as you would normally light
Yahrzeit candles for as many people as you say yahrzeit for.
Ner ha'chaim. Some people have the custom of lighting a 24 hour candle for the healthy members of the household.
Ner she'shavat. The candle that has rested. This is the candle that was lit before Yom Kippur, and has burned throughout the day, and is now used to light the havdallah candle.

amother
Poppy

Post Today at 2:11 am
1. Yatzheit candle if you have a deceased parent - each adult who has a deceased parents lights 1 even if both parents are deceased.
2. Another 24 hr candle to light from for Havdalah
3. Another for the healthy (lit by married men)
4. Married people should put a light in their bedroom (you can use the candle lit for the healthy) it's a reminder that relations are forbidden.

Also remember you need to light on time or a few minutes early.

And this year we say "lehadlik ner shel Shabbos v'Yom Hakipurim.

https://www.shemayisrael.com/y.....s.htm

Elfrida

Post Today at 2:21 am
amother Poppy wrote:
1. Yatzheit candle if you have a deceased parent - each adult who has a deceased parents lights 1 even if both parents are deceased.

Some people light one for each person they say yahrzeit for.

Once in the makolet a woman asked me if I could reach the yarzeit candles for her. She was a holocaust survivor, and needed twelve. One for each member of her family who was murdered.

Bottom line - there are a lot of different minhagim, and as long as you light at least two Shabbos candles and one additional one, you've covered the basics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur