Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why in heavens name-pre sukkos Daycamp
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mha3484

Post Yesterday at 6:07 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Jr high or high school? Or elementary?

We're used to teen boys and girls landing off for extended periods of time but little ones is a day or two around my town....

My girl is in K but the whole school k-8 is done this Friday until after sukkos. I am used to boys being a little more reasonable this is new for me.

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Yesterday at 6:08 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have 3 boys and their rebbeim teach Sunday- Friday. They are only off shabbos. I don't work Sundays do you? My boys have yeshiva the Sunday after Yom Kippur and half day Monday so they are off for 1.5 days. They have off one day for YK and had off one day for RH.

I get off 7 major legal holidays, yom tovim, half days on chol ha moed, and 2 weeks to do what I want with. I come out ahead for sure.

Dh works Sundays and way longer hours than rabbeim so I'm not sure what the big deal is for a man to work half day Friday and Sundays. They get off yomim tovim. Erev. Isru chags. Chanuka. Mid winter. Half day fasts. Half day lag boomer. I definitely don't come out ahead. And for sure not dh.

manhattanmom

Post Yesterday at 6:11 pm
mha3484 wrote:
In defense of moros, I fargin them Tuesday off even though I work full time. I get mine on legal holidays when they teach and probably a lot more vacation days then my friends who teach get. Every employer has different perks and its part of the greater package of employment. But there has to be a limit to how many erev days and to me any days off before Tuesday feels excessive.

I always say this when my kids are off for so long and I’m paying a fortune for day time childcare for my elementary school aged kids when I work right up to erev pesach….
I teach public school full time, always did…..and there are benefits that just don’t match what yeshivas offer their teachers. So why not give them the time off? It’s so deserved. I’ll retire with a retirement package, and I also have a reasonably good health insurance plan for my family. I’m still off summers and off for several weeks during the year when (December break, spring break,) when my kids have school.

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Yesterday at 6:22 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
I always say this when my kids are off for so long and I’m paying a fortune for day time childcare for my elementary school aged kids when I work right up to erev pesach….
I teach public school full time, always did…..and there are benefits that just don’t match what yeshivas offer their teachers. So why not give them the time off? It’s so deserved. I’ll retire with a retirement package, and I also have a reasonably good health insurance plan for my family. I’m still off summers and off for several weeks during the year when (December break, spring break,) when my kids have school.

And you are working in a public school with way more administrative demands then a yeshiva. And not having off when your kids are off. And having a degree. And working in a non Jewish environment.

amother
Carnation  

Post Yesterday at 6:41 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Then don't send to schools and homeschool or become a teacher yourself if it's so desirable

Im fine with the days off as long as tuition accounts for it. The schools want to give extra perks, by all means but it should be on their dime not mine.

There are very few schools days in October this year as is but we pay full tuition for the month. As long as aligns reasonably with the actual YT, then it is what it is. But if you decide to take extra days off, such as erev erev Yom Tov, or as in my high school daughters case - erev erev erev YT, then we deserve a tuition discount.

amother
  Hyacinth

Post Yesterday at 7:27 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
And you are working in a public school with way more administrative demands then a yeshiva. And not having off when your kids are off. And having a degree. And working in a non Jewish environment.

You seem very jealous.
I can tell you that teaching also requires a tremendous amount of out of school work, soecifically in limudei kodesh where curriculums are not always given. And prep time, speaking with parents, grading. But I don’t think that matters to you. I think you need to figure out why you are so bitter about teachers and what you can do in your own life to make things more manageable for you.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 7:37 pm
We had a big increase in tuition this year. At least show you care about the parents

amother
  Carnation  

Post Yesterday at 7:42 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
You seem very jealous.
I can tell you that teaching also requires a tremendous amount of out of school work, soecifically in limudei kodesh where curriculums are not always given. And prep time, speaking with parents, grading. But I don’t think that matters to you. I think you need to figure out why you are so bitter about teachers and what you can do in your own life to make things more manageable for you.

Why does your mind jump to jealousy? Perhaps she works just as hard if not harder and is wondering why only a small subset of women matter, on the backs of making it harder for the rest of the women?

My mind didn't jump to jealousy at all. My mind jumped to an exhausted overwhelmed woman whose next week just got significantly harder because schools are taking extra perks in the most busiest season of the year. It isn't only teachers who have to make YT, while holding down full time jobs and running a home. It isn't only teachers who have extra hours of work. And on top of that, consider the women who work in secular environments who don't shut down for YT. They have an even harder time juggling everything.

Bottom line is that everyone matters. Teachers matter, but so does the parent body of the school. Taking off extra days for the teachers, full well knowing that it introduces significant challenges for the parent body during the most difficult weeks of the year is a tone deaf thing to do. Hence the anger and frustration.

oohlala

Post Yesterday at 7:43 pm
Does anyone tell the school how they feel instead of posting here? My kids schools only give off erev yt. It only gives off a few extra days before pesach. If they gave off more days the parents would have a fit.

amother
Brickred

Post Yesterday at 7:47 pm
Schools know parents can't do anything about it, so they push the limits. What's next, more days off between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur? No school at all between Yom Kippur and Succos?
It's a major chutzpah imo. Similar to days off before Pesach.

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Yesterday at 7:49 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
You seem very jealous.

I am not jealous. Or bitter. Many jobs have out of work responsibilities including my own. So I'm sorry I don't feel bad about it. I pay full tuition. I need to take off 7 days for yom tov for which I won't be getting paid. And now on top of that I need to find childcare for 2 more days. All while still paying full tuition. How is that menschlich to the working parents? Forget about shopping and cooking...bh I can figure out how to do that while working full time. I just don't get why teachers need Tuesday off? Why don't schools respect their working parents who are supporting them? I can become a teacher or a sahm and then not have to worry abt childcare and be eligible for all the tuition breaks...you think the schools will be better off with no working parents?

amother
Foxglove

Post Yesterday at 7:51 pm
I am a teacher, and my school does NOT give off Tuesday. In fact if we take off 1 day before or after Succos / Pesach break, they count it as if we took 2 sick days. Not sure how that's fair or makes sense, but it is what it is.

My kids DO all have off Tuesday. My boys and girls. Lucky me teaching and still needing to deal with kids off, fun fun...

amother
  Carnation  

Post Yesterday at 7:57 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
I am not jealous. Or bitter. Many jobs have out of work responsibilities including my own. So I'm sorry I don't feel bad about it. I pay full tuition. I need to take off 7 days for yom tov for which I won't be getting paid. And now on top of that I need to find childcare for 2 more days. All while still paying full tuition. How is that menschlich to the working parents? Forget about shopping and cooking...bh I can figure out how to do that while working full time. I just don't get why teachers need Tuesday off? Why don't schools respect their working parents who are supporting them? I can become a teacher or a sahm and then not have to worry abt childcare and be eligible for all the tuition breaks...you think the schools will be better off with no working parents?

What irks me the most is the hypocritical attitude of the schools. They push for both parents to work so that parents can pay their high tuition fees (or encourage kollel), and then they turn around and operate in fashion that ignores the fact that nowadays majority of the mothers are working moms.

They play it both ways and then still have the audacity to point the fingers at us claiming that we aren't supportive enough of them and their teachers.

amother
Garnet  

Post Yesterday at 8:00 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
I am a teacher, and my school does NOT give off Tuesday. In fact if we take off 1 day before or after Succos / Pesach break, they count it as if we took 2 sick days. Not sure how that's fair or makes sense, but it is what it is.

My kids DO all have off Tuesday. My boys and girls. Lucky me teaching and still needing to deal with kids off, fun fun...

I'm a teacher and we have Tuesday off. My kids are in the school I teach in, so either we're all in school or all at home...not sure which is harder. But either way I'll get nothing done!

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Yesterday at 8:07 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
I'm a teacher and we have Tuesday off. My kids are in the school I teach in, so either we're all in school or all at home...not sure which is harder. But either way I'll get nothing done!

This astounds me. When do you think working moms get things done? If I didn't cook/clean when my kids were home it would never happen. If you think it's harder to have off when your kids have off then to work, you have an awesome job!

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Yesterday at 8:09 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
What irks me the most is the hypocritical attitude of the schools. They push for both parents to work so that parents can pay their high tuition fees (or encourage kollel), and then they turn around and operate in fashion that ignores the fact that nowadays majority of the mothers are working moms.

They play it both ways and then still have the audacity to point the fingers at us claiming that we aren't supportive enough of them and their teachers.

Yup. Same way that they speak out so strongly against the internet and watsapp...until they use those exact means for their million dollar fundraisers

amother
  Garnet

Post Yesterday at 8:13 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
This astounds me. When do you think working moms get things done? If I didn't cook/clean when my kids were home it would never happen. If you think it's harder to have off when your kids have off then to work, you have an awesome job!

Well yes...I actually do find my job awesome.

Here's why lol:
At work, no-one is chutzpadig, no-one makes a mess when I've just tidied up, no-one says 'no' just because they can (because they know I'll love them anyway)...and they pay me for what I do, and say thank you...

Whereas at home....lol!

amother
  Lightblue

Post Yesterday at 9:37 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
If I had only girls I 100% would homeschool
Oh sure

amother
  NeonGreen  

Post Yesterday at 9:45 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Oh sure

Love your sarcasm. Perhaps I actually enjoy spending time with my kids. They stay home all summer no camp and we love every second of it.

Ema of 5

Post Yesterday at 9:45 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
And it's easy for working moms to make sukkos and now struggle to find childcare too? So ridiculous. Don't go crying about low salaries when you work minimal hours.

It’s not new though. This has been the way it is for years. And even if it IS the first time a school is doing it, the school calendar was sent out for sure by the first day of school, maybe even before that. So it’s not like all of a sudden the school woke up and decided “hey, let’s make an extra day off.” Working moms know the calendar. Yes, it’s hard, but it’s not as if this was just thrown on anyone randomly at the last second.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics