Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
1 year old waking at night
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Today at 3:04 am
My baby is just 1year old , she still wakes nightly for a bottle . She’s up now crying , I try water, paci…. She just wants milk. How do I train her ? It’s so hard to let her cry for hours . Even that doesn’t work . Please help , I’m so tired

amother
Jasmine

Post Today at 4:32 am
One is still so so young!!!!!!! Please give her a bottle milk!!!!!!!!!!!!
If she wakes up once for a bottle milk and goes straight back to sleep, that’s perfectly normal for this age. She does not yet have to sleep straight from 7-7….

amother
Lightgray  

Post Today at 5:28 am
Poor baby...also just woke up to my 1 year old. I gave her a formula bottle...its very standard they should wake up once or twice in middle of the night. Pls don't deprive her from food

amother
Snowflake  

Post Today at 7:15 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
Poor baby...also just woke up to my 1 year old. I gave her a formula bottle...its very standard they should wake up once or twice in middle of the night. Pls don't deprive her from food

It's not deprivation...babies that age wake from habit, not need. It's ok if you do it... but it's okay if you don't want to.

Op, so sorry...but training is the only way if you want to stop right away. If not you'll just have to keep doing it until she's old enough to say to, for bedtime that there's no bottle and you make a chart or something or she decides to naturally grow out of it at some point.

the world's best mom

Post Today at 7:57 am
1 year olds wake up at night. They need comfort, in the form of their Mommy's presence, cuddling, and sucking. They may not need the milk for nutrition, but it will calm them and put them back to sleep and it is developmentally appropriate for them to be waking for it.

amother
Aubergine  

Post Today at 8:23 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
It's not deprivation...babies that age wake from habit, not need. It's ok if you do it... but it's okay if you don't want to.

Op, so sorry...but training is the only way if you want to stop right away. If not you'll just have to keep doing it until she's old enough to say to, for bedtime that there's no bottle and you make a chart or something or she decides to naturally grow out of it at some point.

Don’t do this op. She is young. She is young and letting her cry is cruel.

amother
  Aubergine  

Post Today at 8:23 am
the world's best mom wrote:
1 year olds wake up at night. They need comfort, in the form of their Mommy's presence, cuddling, and sucking. They may not need the milk for nutrition, but it will calm them and put them back to sleep and it is developmentally appropriate for them to be waking for it.

This.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 8:24 am
the world's best mom wrote:

I definitely cuddled her ! I didn’t let her just scream for an hour , I kept going to stroke her and give her water and paci… bh she ended up falling back asleep but it was so hard . A lot of people tell me all it takes is one hard night but it’s not true ! It’s definitely from habit , she doesn’t need it , and her doctor was upset by how much milk she’s having . I’m not so strict with night waking , but I do think at 1 she rly shouldn’t be waking , sometimes as early as 11!!

amother
  Aubergine  

Post Today at 8:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I definitely cuddled her ! I didn’t let her just scream for an hour , I kept going to stroke her and give her water and paci… bh she ended up falling back asleep but it was so hard . A lot of people tell me all it takes is one hard night but it’s not true ! It’s definitely from habit , she doesn’t need it , and her doctor was upset by how much milk she’s having . I’m not so strict with night waking , but I do think at 1 she rly shouldn’t be waking , sometimes as early as 11!!

It’s very normal to be waking at one years old. Don’t have her cry. Is she eating well during the day?

amother
Chicory

Post Today at 8:27 am
I think the doctors exaggerate this stuff…how bad can milk be? I know it affects iron, but it’s still pretty healthy.

I tried just giving him less each time he woke up, like 2-3 ounces. Honestly sometimes he still wakes up for milk and he’s almost 3! I don’t think it’s a big issue.

amother
Canary  

Post Today at 8:30 am
Did you try water in the bottle instead of milk?

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 8:53 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
It’s very normal to be waking at one years old. Don’t have her cry. Is she eating well during the day?

She doesn’t eat so well because she has too much milk … that’s why the doctor wants me to cut back

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 8:54 am
amother Canary wrote:
Did you try water in the bottle instead of milk?

Of course , she doesn’t want that

amother
  OP

Post Today at 9:01 am
It’s so funny because in real life everyone tell me I MUST train her , and here everyone tells me not to . It’s so interesting.

amother
  Aubergine  

Post Today at 9:05 am
amother OP wrote:
She doesn’t eat so well because she has too much milk … that’s why the doctor wants me to cut back

Then she might be legitimately hungry in middle of the night.

amother
  Aubergine

Post Today at 9:05 am
First work on feeding her more during the day before thinking of cutting out night feeds.

teachkids

Post Today at 9:11 am
At a year we start watering down the middle of the night bottle so it’s soothing but less calories so they take more calories in the day

amother
  Lightgray  

Post Today at 9:46 am
amother Snowflake wrote:

How do you know how much her kid eats during the day?! My baby is definitely not eating enough solids and she is hungry!

amother
  Lightgray

Post Today at 9:47 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
First work on feeding her more during the day before thinking of cutting out night feeds.

Jinx!!!my baby does not eat enough and the doctor told me she is hungry!

amother
  Snowflake  

Post Today at 9:53 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
How do you know how much her kid eats during the day?! My baby is definitely not eating enough solids and she is hungry!

maybe you need to feed her more during the day.

Would you want to be eating in the middle of the night because you're waking up starving everyday and not having a proper sleep?

Why do people think babies don't also want to sleep straight instead of constantly waking up in middle of the night?As soon as my infant started sleeping through the night, she was so much happier during the day. She stopped crying so much and being cranky all the time.

A 1-year-old is isn't an exclusively nursing baby, who is only drinking breast milk which digests quickly.

Op can do whatever she wants but it's good for her to see that there's more than one opinion of let the baby wake up every night and be up for an hour, and ruin her teeth because she's drinking bottles in the middle of the night, and then be tired the next day and not eat properly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics