Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Any way to have chullent this year for shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Imabubby60

Post Yesterday at 11:25 pm
Another way is if you leave your oven on 225 for YT and put the cholent in Friday morning. I would freeze a bag of minced sauted onions and garlic to add to it.

amother
Ebony

Post Today at 12:51 am
I do in the oven at 225 like the others. It’s delicious.

seeker  

Post Today at 1:09 am
7 day timer sounds so smart. Any link to tried and true?

Brit in Israel

Post Today at 1:27 am
I don't have a Crockpot, I planned to make it Wednesday morning and fridge until Friday and put on hot plate (I usually make it on a Thursday)
Am I missing anything??

seeker  

Post Today at 1:32 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
I don't have a Crockpot, I planned to make it Wednesday morning and fridge until Friday and put on hot plate (I usually make it on a Thursday)
Am I missing anything??

My hot plate is too hot for cholent. I like it on a very very low simmer so it doesn't get overcooked and taste like mud. I achieve that with a slow cooker, which is definitely not designed to be on for 3 days, but can't be set on a timer like the hot plate because the cholent needs to be on almost 24 hours. So I really like the 7 day timer idea if it's not too expensive because G-d knows I have enough stuff to buy right now.

tf  

Post Today at 3:32 am
amother OP wrote:
are you comfortable leaving it on so long?

Even on the stove, you just put all ingredients in the pot to cook after you finish cooking the midday meal and leave it on the blech or hotplate like any other Shabbos. I don't understand what the difficulty is. Am I missing something?

6000miles

Post Today at 3:56 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
Am I missing anything??

I’ve got the same plan as you. Sounds great!!!

bakingmom

Post Today at 5:17 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Not sure if I understand the question. You make an eruv tavshilin before Yom tov so you can cook on Friday for Shabbos. On Friday afternoon, you put all your chulent ingredients in a pot and let it boil and you have chulent for shabbos.

This works if you leave a gas fire over yom tov/shabbos.

What setup do you have?

FYI I went to a pre RH shiur this year where the rav spoke about eruv tavshilin. He said the basis for doing eruv tavshilin is that a guest could come Friday afternoon and eat what you cooked, which is why you are allowed to cook, so the cholent should ideally be fully cooked before shabbos comes in. Which means I will put my cholent in the crockpot Friday morning before going to shul, as leaving it to Friday afternoon means it wont be cooked fully before shabbos.

amother
Kiwi

Post Today at 5:40 am
We use a smart plug for the crockpot and hot plate, you can easily program for 7 days using the app :

Kasa Smart Plug HS103P3, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control,15 Amp,UL Certified, White, 3 Count (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/f7b7v5J

ShishKabob  

Post Today at 7:50 am
tf wrote:
Even on the stove, you just put all ingredients in the pot to cook after you finish cooking the midday meal and leave it on the blech or hotplate like any other Shabbos. I don't understand what the difficulty is. Am I missing something?
This, I guess not everyone leaves a flame on the stove

Ruchi  

Post Today at 8:36 am
6000miles wrote:
I’ve got the same plan as you. Sounds great!!!

⬆️ Easiest and most straightforward! ⬆️

I've already freezed mine and will take it out Friday morning to defrost and then transfer to the platta.

seeker  

Post Today at 9:00 am
bakingmom wrote:
FYI I went to a pre RH shiur this year where the rav spoke about eruv tavshilin. He said the basis for doing eruv tavshilin is that a guest could come Friday afternoon and eat what you cooked, which is why you are allowed to cook, so the cholent should ideally be fully cooked before shabbos comes in. Which means I will put my cholent in the crockpot Friday morning before going to shul, as leaving it to Friday afternoon means it wont be cooked fully before shabbos.

Oh wow, I did not know this. Thank you.

seeker

Post Today at 9:02 am
tf wrote:

It's not safe to leave an electric heating device on for so much longer than it's meant for. We (I think) were talking about leaving a crockpot plugged in from before yom tov until after.

tf

Post Today at 1:01 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
This, I guess not everyone leaves a flame on the stove

What do you do every week and why is that not good?

ShishKabob

Post Today at 1:04 pm
tf wrote:
You asked if you're missing anything. No, you're not missing anything. I leave a flame on with a blech each week and I do the same for a 3 day yom tov. We put up the cholent early on friday and then continue cooking it after we serve the friday day meal.
For me it works the same. For others that don't leave a flame on and they don't feel comfortable leaving a crock pot plugged in that long, that's the question I guess.

stillnewlywed

Post Today at 1:07 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
We use a smart plug for the crockpot and hot plate, you can easily program for 7 days using the app :

Kasa Smart Plug HS103P3, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control,15 Amp,UL Certified, White, 3 Count (Pack of 1) https://a.co/d/f7b7v5J

This is awesome thanks! We have the Kasa app for our switches this will be easy to add

mom!

Post Today at 1:09 pm
Ruchi wrote:

Prepare fully meaning you cook it completely before freezing? Or just prep and freeze?

amother
  Hibiscus

Post Today at 1:12 pm
tf wrote:

I leave a hotplate on a timer every week

Ruchi  

Post Today at 2:02 pm
mom! wrote:
Prepare fully meaning you cook it completely before freezing? Or just prep and freeze?

Fully cooked before freezing, without potatoes as they turn rubbery when frozen.

amother
Aqua

Post Today at 2:15 pm
bakingmom wrote:

Asked dh about this and he said if the food is ready to eat on Friday you wouldn't need an eruv tavshilin, as if you happen to have extra you can eat it the next day. The whole point allows you to cook food that would not normally be eaten on Friday, either more than you would make or different.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur