Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Any way to have chullent this year for shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3

Ruchi  

Post Today at 2:25 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
This is awesome thanks! We have the Kasa app for our switches this will be easy to add

Sounds like a good idea. Asking respectfully, Does this require rabbinical approval for yom tov with multiple on and offs for a platta, considering it runs on WiFi?

amother
Banana

Post Today at 2:42 pm
Quote:
bakingmom wrote:
FYI I went to a pre RH shiur this year where the rav spoke about eruv tavshilin. He said the basis for doing eruv tavshilin is that a guest could come Friday afternoon and eat what you cooked, which is why you are allowed to cook, so the cholent should ideally be fully cooked before shabbos comes in. Which means I will put my cholent in the crockpot Friday morning before going to shul, as leaving it to Friday afternoon means it wont be cooked fully before shabbos.

Asked dh about this and he said if the food is ready to eat on Friday you wouldn't need an eruv tavshilin, as if you happen to have extra you can eat it the next day. The whole point allows you to cook food that would not normally be eaten on Friday, either more than you would make or different.

Please please everyone ask your LOR about this, as I learned the same thing from a very respectable rav that the food must be ready to eat at some point on Friday (and yes, you still need an eiruv tavshilin even if it's going to be ready on Friday)

amother
Aster

Post Today at 2:48 pm
Not everyone holds re timers …I don’t know the details.
Just ask your LOR

Ruchi

Post Today at 3:17 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Quote:
bakingmom wrote:
FYI I went to a pre RH shiur this year where the rav spoke about eruv tavshilin. He said the basis for doing eruv tavshilin is that a guest could come Friday afternoon and eat what you cooked, which is why you are allowed to cook, so the cholent should ideally be fully cooked before shabbos comes in. Which means I will put my cholent in the crockpot Friday morning before going to shul, as leaving it to Friday afternoon means it wont be cooked fully before shabbos.

Asked dh about this and he said if the food is ready to eat on Friday you wouldn't need an eruv tavshilin, as if you happen to have extra you can eat it the next day. The whole point allows you to cook food that would not normally be eaten on Friday, either more than you would make or different.

Please please everyone ask your LOR about this, as I learned the same thing from a very respectable rav that the food must be ready to eat at some point on Friday (and yes, you still need an eiruv tavshilin even if it's going to be ready on Friday)

I was told Fully cooked and hot. As always, check with your individual LOR.

amother
Heather

Post Today at 3:21 pm
Optione wrote:
We have a 7 day timer which is the only way I'm willing to make Cholent. The crock pot goes on Friday afternoon and turns off Shabbos afternoon.

In Israel they also have a 3 day timer that we use
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur