Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is workplace loyalty a thing anymore?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:11 am
Speaking as an employee, if you’ve been with the company for years and years, and do your job well, are open to feedback, adapt to new procedures, but the company decision-makers the billing department) still lays off anyone they think is costing them too much, is it even worth it to try to show commitment to a workplace?

amother
Honeysuckle  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:14 am
amother OP wrote:
Speaking as an employee, if you’ve been with the company for years and years, and do your job well, are open to feedback, adapt to new procedures, but the company decision-makers the billing department) still lays off anyone they think is costing them too much, is it even worth it to try to show commitment to a workplace?

No. In the past, employees were loyal and they worked for the same company for most of their career, and they retired with a pension. Most companies no longer offer pensions. They serve their own bottom line. You have to look our for yourself.

bookstore15

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 8:20 am
No. It's not. They'd replace you in a heartbeat. It's a transactional relationship. You give them services for pay, there's no connection further than that.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 10:05 am
As an employer, I like to think so. I reward my employees for their hardwork and initiative. Year end bonuses, generous time off, flexible hours, remote work available. That said, if another job came along that pays $5 more an hour, I've seen employees give a days notice and run. Several months later, I usually hear they're looking for a new job. The grass isn't always greener... Sometimes the corporate grind of the work can make them unhappy, no matter what incentives I offer, and I think that has a lot to do with employees job hopping. Also, lots of unrealistic expectations. Employees with no experience in my line of work come in with large salary demands that are out of whack with the marketplace. Sometimes we negotiate if the candidate seems right but usually it isn't worth continuing the conversation. Bh, my office has a very low turnover rate but colleagues say they have retention issues for most of the reasons listed above.

synthy  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 10:33 am
No, it’s not. After being an extremely loyal worker and getting burnt by it I learned to become a worker who clocks in, does her job as expected, then clocks out and GOOD BYE.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 11:12 am
I was just burnt terribly by my employer who I've given so so so much effort, time, sweat and tears for. when it came down to the dollar they literally threw me to the dumps.

Next job I take I will be doing my job and that's that. nothing more or less.
just not worth it.

Its more of a thing these days I believe that everyone is replaceable and once someone is there too long they are no longer valued because they 'cost too much'...

imanotmommy

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 11:25 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
As an employer, I like to think so. I reward my employees for their hardwork and initiative. Year end bonuses, generous time off, flexible hours, remote work available. That said, if another job came along that pays $5 more an hour, I've seen employees give a days notice and run. Several months later, I usually hear they're looking for a new job. The grass isn't always greener... Sometimes the corporate grind of the work can make them unhappy, no matter what incentives I offer, and I think that has a lot to do with employees job hopping. Also, lots of unrealistic expectations. Employees with no experience in my line of work come in with large salary demands that are out of whack with the marketplace. Sometimes we negotiate if the candidate seems right but usually it isn't worth continuing the conversation. Bh, my office has a very low turnover rate but colleagues say they have retention issues for most of the reasons listed above.

Are you responding to the general question in the title or the specific question in the OP? Because you don't sound like the same type of employer as OP's

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 12:02 pm
No

ftm1234

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 12:03 pm
Nope

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 12:49 pm
So frustrating and disheartening Sad

amother
  Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
So frustrating and disheartening Sad

Is it really such a terrible thing? You do a good job for whatever company you work for, but it also gives more flexibility to you to find something that's the best fit for you. There sre employers that trwat employees well, and if you find one you can stay there as long as it suits you. No reason to leave if you're satisfied where you are.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:29 pm
No.

My office is very small, less than 10 people. Not frum, fwiw. All of us are here pretty long term, and it's been established that when someone hits the 20-year mark, they get a whole party, significant jewelry, a whole thing. So my coworker was all ready for her party, she assumed it was a surprise because one of the bosses told her they haven't forgotten her office anniversary. Then my coworker was told the BIG boss was coming in... she got her hair colored fresh, a nice new outfit for that day, assuming it was her surprise party. She was called into a meeting with another coworker (who had been here 25 years), and she assumed it was so we can set up her party.

Nope. They were both let go. The bosses eliminated their positions and outsourced them.

Happy anniversary. She sat there in her new outfit, new hair, and was humiliated.

I'm here over 10 years and I know in a moment it can be me also.

imaima

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:31 pm
amother OP wrote:

No not anymore

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:35 pm
I work in middle management, so I'm on both sides of this (employee and employer).

Workplace loyalty is a two way street - in the past, companies were loyal to workers and workers were loyal to companies.

I do feel like times have changed. Many companies are interested in whatever costs them the least, and many employees are interested in whatever the highest paying job is. But there are other factors as well. But the bottom line is, I think both companies and employees are less loyal than 20 or 30 years ago. Aside from money, companies and employees are looking for different things than they used to. It is a generational thing as well, I think.

However, there are still employees out there loyal to their companies and there are still companies out there loyal to their employees. But a high level of loyalty from either side just may not be as common as it used to be.

synthy

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:56 pm
watergirl wrote:
No.

My office is very small, less than 10 people. Not frum, fwiw. All of us are here pretty long term, and it's been established that when someone hits the 20-year mark, they get a whole party, significant jewelry, a whole thing. So my coworker was all ready for her party, she assumed it was a surprise because one of the bosses told her they haven't forgotten her office anniversary. Then my coworker was told the BIG boss was coming in... she got her hair colored fresh, a nice new outfit for that day, assuming it was her surprise party. She was called into a meeting with another coworker (who had been here 25 years), and she assumed it was so we can set up her party.

Nope. They were both let go. The bosses eliminated their positions and outsourced them.

Happy anniversary. She sat there in her new outfit, new hair, and was humiliated.

I'm here over 10 years and I know in a moment it can be me also.
Omigish that’s awful! If I were you I’d leave that place.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 1:03 pm
It’s beyond horrifying that some more places would humiliate loyal and dedicated employees like that. Bad enough to let someone go for no legit reason or otherwise stop trying to compensate them their worth, but to shame someone who’s been there, 20 years?! Unconscionable.

On a different note,
https://mishpacha.com/all-worked-out/

Just saw this Double Take, and I really feel for both sides, honestly!

amother
Blush

Post Yesterday at 1:38 pm
I work with a small software team in a company whose product us dependent on our software. We have all been here 15+ years.
I know they could let us go. But even one leaving would set them back literally years.
Our direct management knows that.
But I don’t think upper management cares.

I’ve had a work arrangement that was verbal for 18 years. Upper management wants to end it. I refuse. They say they will fire me. My direct manager is swearing buckets and begging on my behalf.
I’m not sure upper management cares.
I’ll see what will happen. I figure it can go either way. (I’m not leaving bec I like my arrangement in place)

Ruchel

Post Yesterday at 2:04 pm
People used to work on the same thing all their life. Now people change career, go to study... It's difficult to compare
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics