Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What jobs make this kind of money?
Previous  1  2

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:17 am
amother85 wrote:
Same! My take-home is a bit over $5k/month and I’m a professional. My gross salary is just over 110k (a huge chunk goes to taxes etc…I’m in Canada). When people talk about salaries in Israel being lower, in my mind I’m thinking $2500-3000/mth…

You'd be right
I make the equivalent of $2000 a month- working 24 hours a week- I have a masters degree and over 20 years experience
It's a busha

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:20 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
Your prices are lower too.
But yes.
I am in Europe and have a very cushy job. Busy, difficult, but pay and benefits are amazing. I want to make aliya but how will I ever earn as much in Israel?

Tuition is very cheap. Healthcare is very cheap. You have to look at how much you'd make and the cost of living in Israel. Lots of people make aliyah and get used to a salary difference.

amother
  Moccasin

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:30 am
amother Candycane wrote:
Tuition is very cheap. Healthcare is very cheap. You have to look at how much you'd make and the cost of living in Israel. Lots of people make aliyah and get used to a salary difference.

OP, my apologies for getting off topic.

It's not only about tuition and healthcare, although for many frum families from the US that's enough to make a difference. The lifestyle here is different.

Even though goods may be more expensive people make do with fewer things, and cheap knockoffs are perfectly socially acceptable. It's socially acceptable to drive an older model car, or to take the bus (which is another thing that's cheaper here). Another example, many families hike for fun, instead of going on expensive outings. There are so many other ways people in Israel manage to just spend less.

If you take a pay cut and continue to spend exactly the same way you did before Aliyah, it probably won't work. But if you adjust your buying habits to match the local economy you can manage here on quite a bit less, without feeling deprived.

amother
  Nectarine  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:32 am
amother Electricblue wrote:
Your prices are lower too.
But yes.
I am in Europe and have a very cushy job. Busy, difficult, but pay and benefits are amazing. I want to make aliya but how will I ever earn as much in Israel?

In general the benefits are very nice here as well, which is why its harder to get good salaries. Every employee costs the employer about 30% of what the take home pay is.

Also you need to look at total cost of living - not $ amounts.

We make 50% less then we did in the states but minimal tuiton, and no healthcare costs, mean that we are in better financail shape then we where in the states. We are finally able to afford to save for 15% for retirement ( on top of what our employers contribute) and have investment accounts to marry off each of our kids.
Our standard of living has gone up besides for housing - so we live in a smaller square footage, but it is nicer and better planned then our home in america. We have nicer cars then we did, and we go to europe for vacation once a year. We can afford to eat take out once a week, and dh and I go out somewhere nicer once a month.

In the states my full salary was going towards tuiton, and a third of dh's salary was covering health insurance. We where the proverbial poor middle class, I was constantly calculating what I could afford and can not afford. Now, with 50% salary cuts we are comfortable middle class because our COL changed.

amother
  Nectarine

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 2:40 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
I just want to say that my dh and I don’t find this age bias everyone speaks about. We haven’t encountered it and have had more than a few people that retrained and joined in their 30s and 40s.

I see that more common when someone came from a different part of the business sector, so they are bringing other skills with them. Also there was a short bubble period during and after covid where tech was BOOMING and companies where hiring anyone.

That is over now, and young people with fantastic degree's are having a hard time getting there foot in the door. I know so many people who opened there own web/graphic design businesses because they couldn't get the first job for months and months ( they are doing very well btw).

Op another thing to look into would be a remote USA job. There are medical billing companies and such that will hire remote, and the salary isn't 25k, but its not the pennies of the ganim, and there is real growth.

My friend with a masters in education left being a math teacher in a mamad to do this - she started on 18$ an hour, but within 2 years is making 30$ an hour, which is 17k nis pre- tax for a 40 hour week, which is not bad at all.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:00 am
amother Nectarine wrote:
I see that more common when someone came from a different part of the business sector, so they are bringing other skills with them. Also there was a short bubble period during and after covid where tech was BOOMING and companies where hiring anyone.

That is over now, and young people with fantastic degree's are having a hard time getting there foot in the door. I know so many people who opened there own web/graphic design businesses because they couldn't get the first job for months and months ( they are doing very well btw).

Op another thing to look into would be a remote USA job. There are medical billing companies and such that will hire remote, and the salary isn't 25k, but its not the pennies of the ganim, and there is real growth.

My friend with a masters in education left being a math teacher in a mamad to do this - she started on 18$ an hour, but within 2 years is making 30$ an hour, which is 17k nis pre- tax for a 40 hour week, which is not bad at all.

I know someone doing medical billing. She said she makes pennies. And im sure she is making less than me.
And any place ive tried either wanted experience or I couldnt find any such jobs.

amother
  Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:21 am
amother Nectarine wrote:

I know it’s slower than before but my company hired 6 new young people looking to get into the door over the last two months and my dh’s company hired 3 over the last few months. There are many firms hiring. I agree it’s hard but there are firms hiring. Maybe it means the train, traveling further, lower salary, similar skills but not exact but I’m seeing most of us working and it just taking a few more months to get a job than it did before. Again this is our and friends’ experiences in tech.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 10:51 am
amother Nectarine wrote:
In general the benefits are very nice here as well, which is why its harder to get good salaries. Every employee costs the employer about 30% of what the take home pay is.

Also you need to look at total cost of living - not $ amounts.

We make 50% less then we did in the states but minimal tuiton, and no healthcare costs, mean that we are in better financail shape then we where in the states. We are finally able to afford to save for 15% for retirement ( on top of what our employers contribute) and have investment accounts to marry off each of our kids.
Our standard of living has gone up besides for housing - so we live in a smaller square footage, but it is nicer and better planned then our home in america. We have nicer cars then we did, and we go to europe for vacation once a year. We can afford to eat take out once a week, and dh and I go out somewhere nicer once a month.

In the states my full salary was going towards tuiton, and a third of dh's salary was covering health insurance. We where the proverbial poor middle class, I was constantly calculating what I could afford and can not afford. Now, with 50% salary cuts we are comfortable middle class because our COL changed.

I'm so pleased to hear you made aliya and on top of it your financial situation is so much better! Sunny
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions