Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Im losing it
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  Indigo  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:16 am
amother OP wrote:
I try putting him down before 5 pm but hes just not tired enough but if I cut it out and dim the lights at 6 then he will just move his nap to 6 pm and wake up at 8 and then im screwed.

Right he prob still needs two naps still. Have you tried the second nap at 2:30? And make sure to cap the first nap. Don’t let him nap so long bc he still needs his second nap probably. If you think he’s ready though for one nap and he’s not falling asleep and closing his eyes at 9:30am maybe just do one nap at 12

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:42 am
amother Indigo wrote:
Right he prob still needs two naps still. Have you tried the second nap at 2:30? And make sure to cap the first nap. Don’t let him nap so long bc he still needs his second nap probably. If you think he’s ready though for one nap and he’s not falling asleep and closing his eyes at 9:30am maybe just do one nap at 12

Okay yeah I will try cap the first nap I usually just let him sleep until he wakes up

amother
  Indigo  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Okay yeah I will try cap the first nap I usually just let him sleep until he wakes up

How long is that normally? It could be he’s napping too long and he maxed out his sleeping time for the day. Cap it to no more than an hour and a half and see how that goes. And then try to do the second nap early like 2:30 for an hour or so.

imaima

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:50 am
amother OP wrote:
ive tried putting him to sleep earlier and he wakes up at like 5 am and doesnt go back to sleep until like 7

That’s an early side of normal

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:01 am
amother Indigo wrote:
How long is that normally? It could be he’s napping too long and he maxed out his sleeping time for the day. Cap it to no more than an hour and a half and see how that goes. And then try to do the second nap early like 2:30 for an hour or so.

he sleeps usually an hour and a half to 2 hours but ill cap it at an hour and a half. thanks

Sb1234

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:11 am
If he won’t nap twice earlier then I would do one nap at 11 and then bedtime at 6/7.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:20 am
I have a baby this age. Wakes up at 6:30, takes a nap from 10:00-1:00 and goes to sleep at 6:30/7:00. Can you try that for a week?

mindala

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:
im really losing my mind. my 11 month old goes to bed at 11pm and wakes up every 2 hours shrieking his head off and he takes 20 min to put back to sleep and then hes up at 730 am. I cant deal with this schedule not only do I need to sleep but I need a break from him. its so constant I need to him to just give me a break. help. I really cant do this. Crying

Please please use the ferber method to sleep train. It's super hard in the beginning but it's so worth it. I had the same thing and was truly not functioning. Bh the ferber method worked after a week

amother
  Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:43 am
mindala wrote:
Please please use the ferber method to sleep train. It's super hard in the beginning but it's so worth it. I had the same thing and was truly not functioning. Bh the ferber method worked after a week

I thought Feber took back what he said and that it’s not recommended any more? I think with some scheduling changes she may not even have to sleep train. She needs to first cap the morning nap.

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:00 am
Op, overtired babies get adrenaline to stay up so they have difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep. 11 pm is way way way too late. 5am wake up can be annoying but it's actually normal for a lot of babies. And based on what you're writing, sounds actually way more tolerable than what you're dealing with now. But you don't even know that a 5am wake up would stay there if your baby was getting normal sleep. As it is, he sounds very sleep deprived, and overtired babies commonly wake up more.

To get an overtired baby back on track, you often have to make sleep times even closer together so they don't get that adrenaline kick again. It can take about 4 days minimum to start getting into a pattern. But for an overtired kid, I certainly wouldn't be cutting naps. Moving the second one up, yes, but not cutting them. Hatzlacha!

teachkids  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:07 am
You can try cutting him to 1 nap- my low sleep needs child switched to 1 nap at 11 months. Even if he wakes up at 6 but sleeps through from 6-6 you come out ahead.

amother
  Slategray  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 11:55 am
amother OP wrote:
he sleeps usually an hour and a half to 2 hours but ill cap it at an hour and a half. thanks

Your baby is overtired. He needs more sleep, not less. Overtired babies cannot fall asleep and stay asleep. That’s most likely why he wakes up screaming so often. If he wakes up at 5 when you put him to sleep earlier then push his nap a little later and work on getting him back to sleep till 6. It will be hard and he will cry but it will pay off in the end.
This is a good reference:
https://takingcarababies.com/1.....edule

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 12:11 pm
I know people say it means they are overtired but I've genuinely had kids who need less sleep. OP 2 of my kids from 10 months were down to one nap a day from 11 to 1 and then bed at 6:45 for 11 hours. If he really needs less sleep, cut his nap time and put him to bed earlier. For the first few days, you're right, he'll wake up after 2 hours but if you keep him in a dark room with no toys and just sit next to him without really engaging, he'll get used to it pretty quickly.

amother
Phlox  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 12:35 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
I thought Feber took back what he said and that it’s not recommended any more? I think with some scheduling changes she may not even have to sleep train. She needs to first cap the morning nap.

He did NOT take it back. He just said he understands that it’s not right for everyone.

amother
  Phlox

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Your baby is overtired. He needs more sleep, not less. Overtired babies cannot fall asleep and stay asleep. That’s most likely why he wakes up screaming so often. If he wakes up at 5 when you put him to sleep earlier then push his nap a little later and work on getting him back to sleep till 6. It will be hard and he will cry but it will pay off in the end.
This is a good reference:
https://takingcarababies.com/1.....edule

Yes!! Taking Cara Babies is an awesome reference!!!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 2:25 pm
I took everyones advice and put him down for his naps earlier and I saw he was just getting a little tired so I gave him a bath and I turned off all the lights and nursed him for like 20 min and miraculously he fell asleep I actually cant believe it literally thank you Hashem and thank you all for your advice. lets see how tonight goes!

kermit

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 3:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think he just needs way less sleep than most babies if he would go to sleep at 8 he would be up t 4 or 5 for the day

yep, my son was like this as a baby. also he loved being held and interacted with it was almost impossible to leave him alone

at almost age 9, he goes to bed around midnight and is up around 6. he is not tired simply doesn't need the sleep

turns out he has ADHD lol.

he's delicious and precocious and I'm not medicating him, doing tons of OT work with him instead and so far he is doing amazing and is able to focus well in class. we are monitoring.

but yeah, the first couple years were brutal.

some things I did that helped me survive:
-Lie on the floor and nap right next to him while he played. he loved having me near and I was able to get some shut eye, he would bop me with toys etc but I was like snoozing etc
-lots of walks outside, lots of fresh air
-subway trips and bus trips to nowhere, him looking out window, me dozing
-husband took him out of bed in the morning when came home from minyan, ate, prepped his diaper bag etc and I got an extra 45ish min sleep in morning thanks to this.
-2+ hour shabbos afternoon nap for me was a must - husband didn't have a choice. bc I worked during the week. husband had to take him somewhere I couldn't hear and be disturbed.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:41 am
he went to sleep at 9ish and was up at 6ish for the day. is that normal?

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:48 am
amother OP wrote:
he went to sleep at 9ish and was up at 6ish for the day. is that normal?

See if you can put him down even earlier with the same wake up time. How was the sleep? Did he wake up a lot like usual?

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:51 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
See if you can put him down even earlier with the same wake up time. How was the sleep? Did he wake up a lot like usual?

yeah and its hard bc I can probably try stretch the feedings a little but it doesnt even feel so worth it its almost easier to j feed him so I can go back to sleep.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics