Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Back to school unnecessary purchases

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 5:49 pm
My girls are still young ranging from 4-7 and their backpacks are still in very functional condition. It’s less of a money thing and more of a principal that perhaps they don’t need a new one every year? Up until now we did buy new ones but usually they are quite destroyed. Just curious what everyone else does. Will they get made fun of for using the same backpack? Lunch bag? Pencil case? You get the idea.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 5:51 pm
Totally fine at this age. I replace if it looks worn out or very dirty.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 5:52 pm
My kids use the same backpack for 2 years. Never made fun of. I buy new smaller things to make them feel excited for the school year...like pencil case, folders etc...so they have a mix of new and older stuff

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 5:56 pm
I find my kids get them so dirty that id rather spend $5-10 a year and just replace it than buy a good one and need to scrub it.

Truth is one of my kids bags is in good condition while the rest are destroyed, but I’m not going to punish her for taking care of it by not replacing it- unless she asks me for something else I wouldn’t have bought, and then I’ll offer it instead of a new bag

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 5:58 pm
We reuse a lot. Backpacks- we buy new every four years. Budget is $36 and we only buy with lifetime warranty (jansport, lands end…)
I buy supplies in the summer during the staples sales. Anything functional is reused, but if there’s something cheap my kid really wants I’ll usually get it. No bullying, afaik.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:43 pm
We buy from Lands' End and return them (and buy new ones with the store credit) for odd-numbered grades. If it got ripped or especially dirty then we'll send back in between as well.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:45 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
We buy from Lands' End and return them (and buy new ones with the store credit) for odd-numbered grades. If it got ripped or especially dirty then we'll send back in between as well.

This may be technically acceptable according to their terms, but it is certainly not yosher.

amother
Cadetblue  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:47 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

Are you serious? You are proud to tell all that you are doing outright stealing???
Aren't you embarrassed??

How dare you return used merchandise after its served it purpose. It's because of people like you who abuse return policies that give us all a bad name. Shame on you!!

amother
  Cadetblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:48 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
This may be technically acceptable according to their terms, but it is certainly not yosher.

It's not acceptable. She's a freeloader. She plans this strategically and makes the company pay for her geneiva. I'm truly shocked. But maybe I shouldn't be.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:55 pm
amother Jean wrote:
I find my kids get them so dirty that id rather spend $5-10 a year and just replace it than buy a good one and need to scrub it.

Truth is one of my kids bags is in good condition while the rest are destroyed, but I’m not going to punish her for taking care of it by not replacing it- unless she asks me for something else I wouldn’t have bought, and then I’ll offer it instead of a new bag

I was that child who kept a bag in good condition from one year to the next. It never bothered me not having a new one, but my 'reward' was that whenever I decided that it was worn out, my mother would take me to buy a new one within the week. She knew I would take care of it, so I could get almost whatever I wanted, with no restrictions. My sisters had to bargain for what they wanted every year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics