Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
At what age did your daughter stop wearing pants?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lightgreen  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:39 pm
Following for answers as I’m trying to figure this out as well. We’re OOT and DD is almost 5, starting pre-k. Our school doesn’t require skirts until uniforms start at in 1st grade. We asked our Rav and he said by 6 but most of her friends are from kollel families and already in skirts so that doesn’t seem practical.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:42 pm
hodeez wrote:
Like 18 months, then she wore pants only when it was really cold until age 3 I think

Is that standard in your community? Would you describe yourself as JPF?

amother
  Blueberry

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:21 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Following for answers as I’m trying to figure this out as well. We’re OOT and DD is almost 5, starting pre-k. Our school doesn’t require skirts until uniforms start at in 1st grade. We asked our Rav and he said by 6 but most of her friends are from kollel families and already in skirts so that doesn’t seem practical.

in that case I would do like the community, I would finish off the season if its near the end.
would prob also keep wearing pants if away if child wants.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:26 pm
I really think it’s 3 for many and sometimes 5.
My oldest stopped at 3.
My current toddler has grown and will look fine in skirts. IfI buy new clothes anyway, I will just buy skirts/dresses/tunics.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:27 pm
Most people I know go with the school rules because ideally your home rules and school rules will be close enough.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:41 pm

This is what happened to us. Religiously we aren’t makpid till 6- so if she goes somewhere in pjs (visit grandparents to say good bye or other random outings) it’s fine. Socially I found that entering pre k everyone was in skirts. There’s one kid in her bunk this summer in shorts and it’s a bit funny. The kid and her mom are rockstars that do their own thing so kudos to them but for me I’m happy with her fitting in as long as she’s comfy.

Also- if you shop Jewish brands they will start having just skirt/ dress options by 4 tops unless your kid is very small. My kids are on the taller side so practically it was what there was available.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:52 pm
At 3 we start transitioning to mostly skirts. Then by 4 only skirts.

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:08 pm
Around her 4th bday

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:12 pm
Monsey. Yeshivish. When she started school.

hodeez

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is that standard in your community? Would you describe yourself as JPF?

Jpf, we did it like this because she wanted to

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:26 pm
OOT JPF

First girl - till she finally realized her friends weren't wearing it, about age 5.
Second girl - copied older sister, so didn't want to wear pants anymore by age almost four.
Third girl - only liked to be like friends, still does, and refused pants by 3.
Fourth girl - now four and still comfortably wears pants but definitely prefers skirts to be like her older sisters.

My hashkafa would lean more to 5/6, TBH. But I'm not forcing them what to wear...

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m surprised I got a few responses saying 3, my very yeshivish Lakewood relatives all stop pants at 4.

In Lakewood jpf.
I stopped summer season b4 kindergarten- but my daughter is tallish & looks heaven in short dresses & mini skirts.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:13 pm
amother Peru wrote:
This is what happened to us. Religiously we aren’t makpid till 6- so if she goes somewhere in pjs (visit grandparents to say good bye or other random outings) it’s fine. Socially I found that entering pre k everyone was in skirts. There’s one kid in her bunk this summer in shorts and it’s a bit funny. The kid and her mom are rockstars that do their own thing so kudos to them but for me I’m happy with her fitting in as long as she’s comfy.

Also- if you shop Jewish brands they will start having just skirt/ dress options by 4 tops unless your kid is very small. My kids are on the taller side so practically it was what there was available.

We do the same. I have a turning-5-year-old. When we asked a shaila we were told that don't need to be makpid until 6, but socially I want her to fit in and not look babyish. She almost always wears skirts with bike shorts underneath, but if she wants to wear pants one day, I let. I discourage going out in just shorts but don't make a big fuss about it. It's very rare that she would want to anyway. Short sleeves are totally fine for us at her age, but she has some sleeveless tops that fit from last year that she will choose occasionally, sometimes will opt to put another t-shirt underneath, but I don't make a fuss about it.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:32 pm
Dd is 4 and a half. Her friends in nursery wear only skirts and dresses so I dress her in skirts and dresses but on off days I let her wear pants (she likes leggings and shorts)

amother
  Lightgreen  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:38 pm
amother Peru wrote:

Most of her school/every day clothes are Jewish brand so she’s usually in skirts/dresses. We don’t fight her if she wants to wear pants but then I always cringe when we get pictures from her morahs those days.

It actually came up for us recently because I just bought her fall Shabbos clothes and found a little tunic/bloomer set that I loved but wasn’t sure if she was too old for.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:43 pm
I stop buying after 3 but I have no issue with bathing suits or pajama pants in public until around 5.

amother
Brickred  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:56 pm
3. Most of her friends too

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 9:39 pm
Most of her school/every day clothes are Jewish brand so she’s usually in skirts/dresses. We don’t fight her if she wants to wear pants but then I always cringe when we get pictures from her morahs those days.

It actually came up for us recently because I just bought her fall Shabbos clothes and found a little tunic/bloomer set that I loved but wasn’t sure if she was too old for.

Who has their fall line out already??!!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 9:49 pm
Three years old

amother
  Lightgreen  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 10:58 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
[/b]
Who has their fall line out already??!!

A preorder through a non-Jewish boutique. I don’t love the quality and style of Jewish brand dressy clothes so I buy most of my kids’ shabbos clothes through other brands, which is why the pants/shorts/skirt thing comes up for us in that area more than school clothes.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics