Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How many ASD kids do you have? How many Neurotypical childre
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How many ASD children do you have?
 66%  [ 32 ]
 22%  [ 11 ]
 4%  [ 2 ]
4+  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 48

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 11:46 am
I feel like my autistic children can add so much to the world beH. They're both verbal and one is a genius k"h.

They are a ton of work but I don't feel done even if I probably should be.

Dh and I both have asd and adhd. I have ocd as well Smile

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 11:57 am
My oldest, I could see signs from age 2. People would say she's just a toddler and "normal". But so many things felt so extreme and a very definite SPD. All the evals we did for OT got us nowhere. When she started school, it became obvious she had adhd. And this year, asd was brought up.

Second kid was so different than her except also SPD which we could see when he was a baby. Once he hit toddlerhood, we started to see his intelligence. The hyperactivity came in later. I didn't bother to evaluate him because I saw how far I got with dd who was a lot more severe. He ended up having trouble once he hit school. But instead of noticing the adhd and suggesting treatment, the school noticed the asd traits. I had no idea!!!! I was so grateful.

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 12:30 pm
1 with ADHD (combined) & SPD. Ot was amazing.
Then got sick with PANS that manifested mostly as asd but was too old even for late onset asd. Hee sensory issues came back even worse than before. OCD and Taurettes. Also some pain and nero issues.
After treatment still has ADHD & Taurettes.
Annother kid with Adhd (combined)
Both my older kids I saw something is off as they grew older. But as babies they were perfect.

A 3rd kid was the "perfect" baby. But is not struggling with kria. Took him to Mrs. Metzbach and hopefully the exercises will help.

My 4th is now 2 and also seems to be developing well. Actually a very bright child and very emotionally intelligent with great speacg/language/communication skills for her age.

To the post we who said there is stiff to do, I agree.
After hitting the stage of having to treat my kid with ivig becuase meds didn't work, I decided to go the alternative route.
Ans I'm glad I did.

Turns out, the moldy apt we lived in with out first 2 children effected their brain development.

Sometimes there is a weak gene, and certain envirmental triggers can set off autoimmune issues and sometimes a very very mild case of AE (autoimmune encephalitis) can cause the brain inflammations that affect behavior, learning and personality. (Basal ganglia)
But even a very very mild case can cause these asd like symptoms or adhd or ocd or other neurophsyc issues.

Someone once explained it so well.
The gene that can cause the disorder is a loaded gun. And the trigger is, well, the trigger.... so let's say my kids had the gene/body/predisposition to develop adhd/asd/phsyc issues/diabetes/ja/eoe or whatver diseases.
So that's the loaded gun. But it might never go off u less there is a trigger.
Mold, post infectious autoimmune activation like strep/pandas or pans. Bad diet. (My friend developed a severe autoimmune disorder after going on a soy protein shake diet for 2 months.)
Even mental/emotional trauma can cause that.

And sometimes you can heal the body and the issues will go away.

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:03 pm
I voted that I have one autistic kid since I only have one child as of now bh.
He is the light of my life and I sometimes wonder if it would be harder to have more autistic kids or if having neurotypical kids and autistic kids are harder.
I’m assuming it’s a case by case scenario

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:06 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
I voted that I have one autistic kid since I only have one child as of now bh.
He is the light of my life and I sometimes wonder if it would be harder to have more autistic kids or if having neurotypical kids and autistic kids are harder.
I’m assuming it’s a case by case scenario

I think my almost NT kid (inattentive adhd) has it the hardest. She has 2 ND parents, 2 ND older siblings her and a toddler. Nobody on her wavelength.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:16 pm
In my family sensory processing issues are the default so I don't even consider it an "issue" LOL

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:25 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:

I'm neurotypical, but had learning disabilities as a kid and remember being very disorganized and confused. Like I never knew what pasuk we were learning, never could remember all my supplies, lost lots of coats and hair accessories and school books. Very poor executive functioning. I thankfully kind of figured these things out as a young teen, and I have no trouble being productive and organized as an adult. I'm also a bit of a loner. I wonder if little-kid me would get a DX if I was being raised now. Probably.

This was me. When we had my daughter evaluated her psychiatrist told me large percentage (1/3? 2/3?) Of kids outgrow add by puberty and it made so much sense.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:31 pm
I voted 4+.

5 out of my 6 children have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD/ODD. At different times over the years my house has looked like a pharmacy.
However, my oldest daughter, who is married, was never diagnosed. It was a small comfort to me knowing that one of my kids escaped whatever weird genetic thing is going on in this house.
Well, she called me yesterday to tell me she saw a neurologist, has been diagnosed with ADD, and is beginning medication.

I was kind of down about it last night. My husband totally didn't get it. He was like, "So? What's the big deal?"

Men.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 1:47 pm
I have 1 of each.

amother
  Honey  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 2:51 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Like what?

Avoid vaccines
Avoid Tylenol
Avoid antibiotics
Address gut health and healthy microbiome development
Clean diet

Clean environment (mold free, including hidden mold)
Minimize toxic load
Support detox pathways : methylation and sulfation
Make sure no nutrient or essential mineral deficiencies develop
Address infections
Address myofunctional issues
Constitutional homeopathy

And yes, these things start before they are born because we pass on our toxic and pathogenic loads, our weak microbiomes, our deficiencies

Kiwi13  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 3:07 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Avoid vaccines
Avoid Tylenol
Avoid antibiotics
Address gut health and healthy microbiome development
Clean diet

Clean environment (mold free, including hidden mold)
Minimize toxic load
Support detox pathways : methylation and sulfation
Make sure no nutrient or essential mineral deficiencies develop
Address infections
Address myofunctional issues
Constitutional homeopathy

And yes, these things start before they are born because we pass on our toxic and pathogenic loads, our weak microbiomes, our deficiencies

Okay, woah…

We don’t know what causes autism, at least not every case, but we know several things that DON’T.

The form of DiGeorge Syndrome that runs in my family is linked with extremely high incidence of autism. So far to my knowledge, everyone in the family with it is also autistic. You don’t get that from vaccines or “toxins” or mineral deficiencies. You get it by inheriting a gene deletion on chromosome 22.

Spreading this sort of debunked information is extremely dangerous.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 3:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have 2 kids and my 1st has HFASD. I'm suspecting my toddler is too Crying
Is it a given that my future children will also be autistic?? Dh and I are both Neurotypical. I'm curious whether most people have more that 1 child with ASD.

C presents as autistic. Actually has super rare genetic condition that mimics autism in some ways. You can go down the genetics rabbit hole.

amother
  Honey  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 3:24 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Okay, woah…

We don’t know what causes autism, at least not every case, but we know several things that DON’T.

The form of DiGeorge Syndrome that runs in my family is linked with extremely high incidence of autism. So far to my knowledge, everyone in the family with it is also autistic. You don’t get that from vaccines or “toxins” or mineral deficiencies. You get it by inheriting a gene deletion on chromosome 22.

Spreading this sort of debunked information is extremely dangerous.
Yes, micro deletions can cause autism. But most kids with autism have clean genetic panels.

Every single thing I listed has been linked in the scientific literature to asd.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 3:27 pm
I have one child with ASD, one with ADHD, and one NT (but more anxiety).

I’m on the spectrum, but I didn’t realize until I was in my 30s.

My first ex husband is in denial that he has ASD and ADHD, and the father of both neurodivergent children.

My second ex husband is the father of my NT child and well, he’s something else but I believe he’s NT.

Kiwi13  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 4:49 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Yes, micro deletions can cause autism. But most kids with autism have clean genetic panels.

Every single thing I listed has been linked in the scientific literature to asd.

Check your sources.

amother
Pansy  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:08 pm
1 asd, 1 neurotypical, 1 high probability asd- (15 months old).
husband and I both NT.
my NT child allows me to understand how everyone around me seems to managing and I can barely get through the day....I could do 10 of her in a heartbeat!

amother
  Honey  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 5:15 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Check your sources.
Check for what?

Kiwi13  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 6:01 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Check for what?

Not all studies are created equal. Some are falsified and resulted in loss of medical credentials.

amother
  Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 6:22 pm
I chose to believe that I have ASD children because that's what hashem destined to test me with.
I absolutely cannot go down the rabbit hole of what what I do, didn't do, could have done, should be doing to have caused this. It is detrimental to my mental health to even read about it.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 6:31 pm
We have 2 with the diagnosis but I don't know how accurate one of them is since a lot of adhd and asd overlaps and definitely has adhd. My husband is hfa and adhd and so is my mother so in all likelihood we will have more if we have another child. I have a child with anxiety and one "typical" child. I dont play to have more partially because as babies they are so much work and my kids need me.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)