Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Spending money for kids in Shuk Machane Yehuda
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 1:28 pm
My grandkids are going to Israel for the first time and I’d like to treat them to some spending money for their day in the shuk. Is $30 per child enough? I’m anticipating them buying some sort of lunch there, ice cream, fresh juices, baked goods, and lots of nuts and candies.
I can go up to $40 per child but I also don’t want to overdo it. Looking for a reasonable middle ground

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:03 pm
How old are they? 30$ seems plenty to me, especially for younger kids. That's about 110 Shekel.

Elfrida  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:05 pm
What are they planning to do for a whole day in the shuk? I mean, it's nice, but its not that big.

Nuts can get expensive. Other than that, $30, which is around 120 ₪, should be plenty of money.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:10 pm
4 children between the ages of 4 and 14. Life has been a bit rough for them lately and I want them to have a day that’s all about treats. Theyre going for sukkos and it’s a once in a life time trip for them. Their parents are understandably trying to make the most of sukkos in Israel but the kids are going to need some treating since it’s going to be a lot of going to the kosel, kever Rachel, mearas hamachpeila. The only day the kids have to really enjoy themselves is the day they go to the shuk so I want them to be able to make the most of it

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:11 pm
Elfrida wrote:
What are they planning to do for a whole day in the shuk? I mean, it's nice, but its not that big.

Nuts can get expensive. Other than that, $30, which is around 120 ₪, should be plenty of money.

A food tour, I suppose? It’s not going to be a full day but the plan is to be there and in that area for about 6 hours

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
4 children between the ages of 4 and 14. Life has been a bit rough for them lately and I want them to have a day that’s all about treats. Theyre going for sukkos and it’s a once in a life time trip for them. Their parents are understandably trying to make the most of sukkos in Israel but the kids are going to need some treating since it’s going to be a lot of going to the kosel, kever Rachel, mearas hamachpeila. The only day the kids have to really enjoy themselves is the day they go to the shuk so I want them to be able to make the most of it

I just want to say that you sound like a very caring and thoughtful grandmother.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:13 pm
They’re very excited about certain foods that they want to try so u want to make sure they have the money to get the main things they want. The oldest wants some sort of challah schnitzel sandwich. They all want halva and knafe and candies. One wants olive bread. One wants some sort of ice cream in a croissant cone?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:15 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
I just want to say that you sound like a very caring and thoughtful grandmother.

Thank you! I do my best

Elfrida

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
They’re very excited about certain foods that they want to try so u want to make sure they have the money to get the main things they want. The oldest wants some sort of challah schnitzel sandwich. They all want halva and knafe and candies. One wants olive bread. One wants some sort of ice cream in a croissant cone?

The halva shop can get expensive, because they have a minimum purchase, and they tend to cut generously, then charge for the full weight they have cut. You can argue with them, but tourists probably won't. On the other hand, they stand around handing out free samples, so your grandchildren can taste it without spending money.

Just like anywhere else, they need to check the hashgachas. There are a lot of different ones in the shuk, so they need to look for the certificate in each shop.

I've never heard of ice-cream in croissant cones, but it could exist. The rest is easy to find.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:35 pm
Elfrida wrote:
The halva shop can get expensive, because they have a minimum purchase, and they tend to cut generously, then charge for the full weight they have cut. You can argue with them, but tourists probably won't. On the other hand, they stand around handing out free samples, so your grandchildren can taste it without spending money.

Just like anywhere else, they need to check the hashgachas. There are a lot of different ones in the shuk, so they need to look for the certificate in each shop.

I've never heard of ice-cream in croissant cones, but it could exist. The rest is easy to find.

Good to know about the halva shop, thank you!
The kids will be with their parents and my son and DIL spent the first 4 years of their marriage in Israel so they’re experienced with checking for hechsheirim in the shuk.

The kids want things their classmates have had when they’ve gone or seen from frum people on instagram. They’ve already mapped a route in the shuk where most of their must-try’s are located

ora_43  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:45 pm
That's the food they'll buy as a group, or each?

The shuk isn't terribly expensive but it's not cheap. Lunch could easily be 50-60 shekels (if they want to try something new like kurdish food or mexican; pizza or falafel would be less). Halva and nuts also aren't cheap, I'd budget around 50-80 shekels to get enough for a group of kids to each have some. Juice they could get for 10-20 each, depends on the juice (cheap ices vs fruit juice from real fruit).

Ice cream probably like 20-25 each. Baked goods - depends on what. A box of rugelach could be 25 shekels, a box of baklava more like 100.

This might be too expensive, but if they're coming from abroad they might like Crave, a restaurant that sells kosher 'non-kosher' stuff (eg kosher bacon cheeseburger). Mentioning it because Americans tend to like it. But it's a proper restaurant and lunch there would be pricey, something like 90 shekels per person (compared to around 50 per person at a food stand).

I think $30 per person would probably be more than enough for the little kids. 30 shekels for a couple slices of pizza or some falafel, 12 for juice, 30 for an ice cream with sprinkles, 20 for snacks/cookies for later.

For the older kids though $40 each would give them a bit more flexibility.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 2:54 pm
ora_43 wrote:
That's the food they'll buy as a group, or each?

The shuk isn't terribly expensive but it's not cheap. Lunch could easily be 50-60 shekels (if they want to try something new like kurdish food or mexican; pizza or falafel would be less). Halva and nuts also aren't cheap, I'd budget around 50-80 shekels to get enough for a group of kids to each have some. Juice they could get for 10-20 each, depends on the juice (cheap ices vs fruit juice from real fruit).

Ice cream probably like 20-25 each. Baked goods - depends on what. A box of rugelach could be 25 shekels, a box of baklava more like 100.

This might be too expensive, but if they're coming from abroad they might like Crave, a restaurant that sells kosher 'non-kosher' stuff (eg kosher bacon cheeseburger). Mentioning it because Americans tend to like it. But it's a proper restaurant and lunch there would be pricey, something like 90 shekels per person (compared to around 50 per person at a food stand).

I think $30 per person would probably be more than enough for the little kids. 30 shekels for a couple slices of pizza or some falafel, 12 for juice, 30 for an ice cream with sprinkles, 20 for snacks/cookies for later.

For the older kids though $40 each would give them a bit more flexibility.

This breakdown is incredible! Thank you.
Lunch, they’ll be buying in separate spots as all but the youngest has something specific they want. But as a group they’ll be wanting some of the classic things. Halva, baklava, knafe, candies, ice cream, juices etc. I think I will do $40 each for the two eldest and $30 each for the youngest two.

Thank you all for your help!

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 3:05 pm
I do find that buying in the shuk (nuts, candy, halva, teas) comes out to waaay more than you'd imagine.

sub  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 3:48 pm
May I recommend walking along Yafo street and King George street?
And kikar hamusica.
Also breakfast or lunch at Cafe Lyon.
The best falafel is on the corner of agripas street at the entrance to the open shuk.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:27 pm
sub wrote:
May I recommend walking along Yafo street and King George street?
And kikar hamusica.
Also breakfast or lunch at Cafe Lyon.
The best falafel is on the corner of agripas street at the entrance to the open shuk.

I believe they are going to walk down Yaffo but I’m not sure of the exact itinerary. I’ll pass along those suggestions. Thank you!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 11:47 pm
Patata is the coolest stand I’ve ever seen, where you buy a hot potato or seeet potato and he puts in all different foods like mushrooms, olives, corn, broccoli and many other options and mixes it with cheese sauces. I had it once and I still dream about it.

Also we bought the ice cream from the croissant place but the croissants weren’t ready I think so we got regular. I do regret not trying the Turkish baklava thing with ice cream (I think that’s what it is)

Also right across from the schnitzel challah place is a very Americanized chicken and fries place that has insanely good alcoholic slushy margaritas for adults.

kenz

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 12:13 am
I want to go and try every single thing mentioned!!!

heidi

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 1:20 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
I do find that buying in the shuk (nuts, candy, halva, teas) comes out to waaay more than you'd imagine.

this
I took my son to the shuk as an activity in the summer and it was quite expensive
A fresh squeezed juice was about 25 shekel
We bought knafe which I think came to about 60 shekel
A mufleta sandwhich could be like 60- luckily he wanted the simplest one for like 18
Divide by 3.6 and you're already over $30- and nuts, gummy candies ,halvah all add up very quickly.
The shuk is definitely fun, but it is not cheap by any means.
Also, there are kippah stands, t-shirts with only in Israel sayings, judaica stores.
Lots of opportunities to spend lots of money.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 2:43 am
Just a reminder they should remember to check the hashgasha in each place. Don't take it for granted.
Shuk was always the cheapest places shop in the past. Poor people shopped there. Now it's trendy and cool and prices shot up accordingly.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Sep 12 2024, 3:43 am
amother Oak wrote:
Patata is the coolest stand I’ve ever seen, where you buy a hot potato or seeet potato and he puts in all different foods like mushrooms, olives, corn, broccoli and many other options and mixes it with cheese sauces. I had it once and I still dream about it.

Also we bought the ice cream from the croissant place but the croissants weren’t ready I think so we got regular. I do regret not trying the Turkish baklava thing with ice cream (I think that’s what it is)

Also right across from the schnitzel challah place is a very Americanized chicken and fries place that has insanely good alcoholic slushy margaritas for adults.

What hechsure is patata?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions